Toronto Broadview and Danforth | 119.45m | 35s | Choice Properties | superkül

While this one sits in limbo for a number of reasons..............

The decision has been taken to rebrand this store as a 'No Frills'.

I would read that to mean no redevelopment is expected for at least 3 years, that's an expensive change. Even for an NF, the typical plan here would be to repaint and re-sign the exterior, while the interior would likely lose its on-site bakery and display case, and that space would in turn likely be repurposed, followed by all new paint and interior signage. That's likely a 7-figure spend, and then a bit.

This area has some low income folks, but is, overall, a fairly high net worth area; it also doesn't have that much high end grocery. Interesting call.

Very surprising. North Riverdale and Player Estates are quite wealthy, so No Frills is an odd choice.

Edit: Could this new No Frills be a replacement for the current No Frills next to the OL Gerrard Station?

I suspect there are a lot of over-leveraged people in these seemingly wealthy neighbourhoods that are looking to save on their household expenses. The truly rich likely shop at smaller gourmet grocers scattered throughout the area, or could send their drivers across the bridge to shop at Summerhill market or something.

Edit: Could this new No Frills be a replacement for the current No Frills next to the OL Gerrard Station?

Possible; but if you go that route, this development will be deferred to the 2030s. That site (Carlaw) will not have a supermarket again for awhile.

Personally, I think Loblaws might want to reconsider the Shoppers at the corner of Queen/Carlaw, that's a former grocery store; equally, the large format Shoppers on Danforth, just east of Broadview is amply large for a City Market.

Possible; but if you go that route, this development will be deferred to the 2030s. That site (Carlaw) will not have a supermarket again for awhile.

Personally, I think Loblaws might want to reconsider the Shoppers at the corner of Queen/Carlaw, that's a former grocery store; equally, the large format Shoppers on Danforth, just east of Broadview is amply large for a City Market.

Hopefully with mid-rises on top of the City Markets!

Hopefully with mid-rises on top of the City Markets!

Eventually, yes, but I was looking at them as short-term locations to replace those lost to redevelopment. Then once those redeveloped stores re-open, one could revisit the City Market sites.

While this one sits in limbo for a number of reasons..............

The decision has been taken to rebrand this store as a 'No Frills'.

I would read that to mean no redevelopment is expected for at least 3 years, that's an expensive change. Even for an NF, the typical plan here would be to repaint and re-sign the exterior, while the interior would likely lose its on-site bakery and display case, and that space would in turn likely be repurposed, followed by all new paint and interior signage. That's likely a 7-figure spend, and then a bit.

This area has some low income folks, but is, overall, a fairly high net worth area; it also doesn't have that much high end grocery. Interesting call.
"for a number of reasons" -- I'm curious, what are these? Or where should I look to find out? I live in the area but have been having a hard time getting any details on the process for this one.

"for a number of reasons" -- I'm curious, what are these? Or where should I look to find out? I live in the area but have been having a hard time getting any details on the process for this one.

On the previous page, I posted about the Preliminary Report which provides some indication:

The issue w/the TRCA is material here.

That said, the noted loss of the No Frills at Carlaw also may effect the choice to pursue demolition here in the near term.

March 20

DJI_0052.jpeg

DJI_0037.jpeg

DJI_0047.jpeg

DJI_0033.jpeg

DJI_0035-2.jpeg

Back