Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I’m happy I can now just call it “Line 10” without having to assign a transit mode to the name, as to not trigger a 5-page UT debate.
The fact that they are tying it into the TTC numbering scheme is what is going to give ME a conniption. It would be nice if everyone stopped pretending that Toronto and Mississauga are one city.

Can't wait for when we have to renumber the 10 Van Horne bus for this.

The fact that they are tying it into the TTC numbering scheme is what is going to give ME a conniption. It would be nice if everyone stopped pretending that Toronto and Mississauga are one city.

Remember when the City of Toronto was not as in area as it is today? Back then, there was a transit agency for all of the parts of the thing they called Metropolitan Toronto. This could become the future.

Remember when the City of Toronto was not as in area as it is today? Back then, there was a transit agency for all of the parts of the thing they called Metropolitan Toronto. This could become the future.
I believe the youths say RETVRN. Mississauga used to be in the planning area of Metro Toronto

1709518925606.jpeg

Merging a city of nearly 2 million with a city of 720k does not sound remotely feasible to me. What possible benefit would there be to doing that? The former boroughs are already pretty badly integrated into the rest of the city, adding in more just because Mississauga has no pride in itself (I mean, who can blame them? But let's not make it Toronto's problem) hardly seems like a good idea.

The larger a polity is, the less likely it is that any one particular area's concerns are going to be paid attention to in all the noise.

March 3
@SaugeenJunction not sure when you were shooting the area, but we miss each other. I assume you were driving, but I did the walking tour from Britannia to the 407 area as well as Kingsbridge to Robert Speck and from my place to Burnhamthorpe. Your photos are close to the 320 I took for the corridor.

I had to do some head scratching on several locations with those white on Topflight as well as the OMSF corridor. There are now two cables' between not only the white poles as well a few for the galvanize ones as well and they have a turning bracket in the centre of cable. The rest of the galvanized poles have a bracket on them for a single track.

I thought the OMSF trackwork was 100% done, but there is a section where the track curves to the east that is missing concrete for the track. There also two more areas waiting for poles and wires in place of brackets as they will be further away than the others one for some odd reason.

The guideway from Topflight to the crossover area has seen two of the six curbs pour it with the southbound track area being prepared for the concrete base.

Derry station has seen no work since I saw it a week ago with the top flashing missing and nothing on the east panel like the west side.

Over a dozen white poles missing from the 401 to Topflight and a number of those poles that are up are missing brackets.

When I compare today's visit to last week as well for Jan and Feb, that has seen truly slight changes for this year so far. We may see all the trackwork from Topflight to Matheson in place and pour by May. From Bristol to Eglinton could be June or July depending on the manpower that shows up shortly.

On thing I noticed today, they are pouring the topcoat of concrete for the future station at Skyway Dr.

The other thing I noticed was the amount of splicing that still must be done for the rails already in place as well as how they plan to deal with expansion joints. Where splicing is to take place, there is a C Clamp holding steel plates on both sides of the area. The expansion joint has a steel bar on both sides of the gap and held in place where the rail clips are.

No trackwork has started for the Hwy 401 bridge, but concrete repairs are taking place for the bridge deck. Only a small section to see concrete for the section from the Hwy 401 eastbound off ramp to Britannia as the rest of that area is complete.

Still no trackwork or station form and pour for the Britannia south block.

Concrete curb is to be poured this week for the northbound lane from the Hwy 403 off ramp to Ellia that will then see milling of the road to pave the northbound lane. Once this is done, traffic will be switched to it to allow building the guideway across the intersection this month with a partial closure for it. Left turns here will be a major issue as it affects two bus routes and forcing long detours for the area.

Robert Speck intersection should see a shift of traffic to the north side since that area is totally completed to start work on the south section this week.

Matthew Gates is closed, and very little work has taken place this past week.

Photos will follow sometime this month as I am still work on Feb 25 photos with March 1 to follow them

I believe the youths say RETVRN. Mississauga used to be in the planning area of Metro Toronto

View attachment 545382

So,it does make some sense to assume it is part of the much larger system. I wonder if any of the York Busways were ever converted to LRT if any of them would have a system that would make them feel part of Toronto. Would that necessarily be such a bad thing? Most people cannot see where York/Toronto/Peel/Durham end or begin.

Merging a city of nearly 2 million with a city of 720k does not sound remotely feasible to me. What possible benefit would there be to doing that? The former boroughs are already pretty badly integrated into the rest of the city, adding in more just because Mississauga has no pride in itself (I mean, who can blame them? But let's not make it Toronto's problem) hardly seems like a good idea.

The larger a polity is, the less likely it is that any one particular area's concerns are going to be paid attention to in all the noise.
I look at Metrolinx akin to the old Metro Toronto department relating to transit. Will the GTA or parts of it be merged with the current city of Toronto? Doubtful but with them not having an obvious boundary except for a sign, for the people who may use the transit system, they may not know the difference.

March 3
@SaugeenJunction not sure when you were shooting the area, but we miss each other. I assume you were driving, but I did the walking tour from Britannia to the 407 area as well as Kingsbridge to Robert Speck and from my place to Burnhamthorpe. Your photos are close to the 320 I took for the corridor.
I shot them today, and yes I was driving and stoping along the way. Missed some things but tried to capture most of what I found interesting! Would have been great to run into you.

On thing I noticed today, they are pouring the topcoat of concrete for the future station at Skyway Dr.
I noticed this too but couldn’t grab a shot. I checked the provided renderings on Metrolinx’s website, and it seems all stations will have a concrete top coat in the platform area.

Here is one more shot, of the Robert Speck intersection at MCC.
1709525047481.jpeg

So,it does make some sense to assume it is part of the much larger system. I wonder if any of the York Busways were ever converted to LRT if any of them would have a system that would make them feel part of Toronto. Would that necessarily be such a bad thing? Most people cannot see where York/Toronto/Peel/Durham end or begin.

I look at Metrolinx akin to the old Metro Toronto department relating to transit. Will the GTA or parts of it be merged with the current city of Toronto? Doubtful but with them not having an obvious boundary except for a sign, for the people who may use the transit system, they may not know the difference.
With the Queen Street BRT annexing the Orange Line to VMC, VIVA Orange will run exclusively between Line 1 University and Line 1 Yonge, which is a strong candidate for being numbered as part of the TTC Rapid Transit System

With the Queen Street BRT annexing the Orange Line to VMC, VIVA Orange will run exclusively between Line 1 University and Line 1 Yonge, which is a strong candidate for being numbered as part of the TTC Rapid Transit System
Pls no, I have a hard time stomaching giving LRTs the same numbering system as Subways, and now we want to add BRTs to them? Why not just give LRTs and BRTs their own independent Numbering or even Lettering system?

Why should it matter that they're separate cities? Its a single metro region where people regularly travel between them for shopping, work, whatever. This is before we bring up that the existing Subway network already leaves the city in Vaughan, and current/future extension plans will increase those instances (Yonge North is extending the line significantly into RH, Eglinton West will terminate at Renforth which is in Mississauga, and long term plans have the Ontario Line reaching Highway 407, not to mention Eglinton West being extended further into Pearson which is still in Mississauga). When we also consider the fact that Metrolinx is considering adding distance/zone based fare pricing on the subway to be identical to the GO train, its clear that Metrolinx is viewing rapid transit as a crucial part of the regional transportation network, and not local transportation focused around specific municipalities.

Fact of the matter is that in the current year, there isn't much different between the various 905 municipalities and the outer reaches of the City of Toronto, other than the fact that they're legally separate entities with their own city councils. If you can tell me some sort of environmental or cultural difference that makes Bathurst and Drewry any different from Bathurst and Clark, or Burnhamthorpe and Renforth any different from Burnhamthorpe and Fieldgate beyond arbitrary municipal borders, please I'd like to know. We're talking about neighboring cities in a shared metro area, not two completely different cities like Toronto and Ottawa.

Pls no, I have a hard time stomaching giving LRTs the same numbering system as Subways, and now we want to add BRTs to them? Why not just give LRTs and BRTs their own independent Numbering or even Lettering system?

So sharing the same numbering system as local TTC buses is okay, but combining it with LRT lines is a no-no? :)

For BRT maybe we just name them. Though calling the current one in Mississauga "the Mississauga Transitway" doesn't work if there's more. We could call it the Lemon Line. 🤣

Why should it matter that they're separate cities? Its a single metro region where people regularly travel between them for shopping, work, whatever. This is before we bring up that the existing Subway network already leaves the city in Vaughan, and current/future extension plans will increase those instances (Yonge North is extending the line significantly into RH, Eglinton West will terminate at Renforth which is in Mississauga, and long term plans have the Ontario Line reaching Highway 407, not to mention Eglinton West being extended further into Pearson which is still in Mississauga). When we also consider the fact that Metrolinx is considering adding distance/zone based fare pricing on the subway to be identical to the GO train, its clear that Metrolinx is viewing rapid transit as a crucial part of the regional transportation network, and not local transportation focused around specific municipalities.

Fact of the matter is that in the current year, there isn't much different between the various 905 municipalities and the outer reaches of the City of Toronto, other than the fact that they're legally separate entities with their own city councils. If you can tell me some sort of environmental or cultural difference that makes Bathurst and Drewry any different from Bathurst and Clark, or Burnhamthorpe and Renforth any different from Burnhamthorpe and Fieldgate beyond arbitrary municipal borders, please I'd like to know. We're talking about neighboring cities in a shared metro area, not two completely different cities like Toronto and Ottawa.
I meant if VIVA Orange is upgraded to an LRT in the distant future

So sharing the same numbering system as local TTC buses is okay, but combining it with LRT lines is a no-no? :)

For BRT maybe we just name them. Though calling the current one in Mississauga "the Mississauga Transitway" doesn't work if there's more. We could call it the Lemon Line. 🤣
I mean they do technically share numbers, but I'm more referring to the branding. Nobody calls the 36 Finch West bus "Line 36", with a unique colour and circular logo.

If that is the case, there is no need for MiWay to exist at all, right? Just give all the routes to the TTC. And then renumber them, causing confusion to tens of thousands of people in the process, because they all share numbers with pre-existing TTC services.

If that is the case, there is no need for MiWay to exist at all, right? Just give all the routes to the TTC. And then renumber them, causing confusion to tens of thousands of people in the process, because they all share numbers with pre-existing TTC services.
That day may come. Notice of places like York Region and Durham Region amalgamated their transit into one?

The idea that bus route numbers are sacrosanct is pretty wild. You do realize that most people use smartphone routing to use unfamiliar transit systems, and any familiar routes will quickly be learned. Just who do you think would be deeply inconvenienced?

Back