News   May 13, 2024
 855     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 772     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Nah history will treat Justin just fine once all the dullards who want to have sex with him are in the ground.
But also, of course Boomers are happy, they robbed subsequent generations of nearly everything to have the comfortable life they live now.

Nah history will treat Justin just fine once all the dullards who want to have sex with him are in the ground.

Very much debatable. He started with a ton of promise. But actual accomplishments that are enduring are kinda mixed. Climate policy probably going to be reversed. Not sure how much of the new social programs survive in their current forms. COVID management was a positive. But the immigration surge and all the problems that has created will have lingering effects that he'll be remembered for. Just look at the lack of productivity growth and half a decade of stagnant GDP per capita (now at 73% of the US and trending downward). He was handed a winning hand with low debt and a strong economy and he has played it rather poorly.

Canada's economy was in a recession in 2015, because of the oil crash. The unemployment rate was 7%, before Trudeau was elected. It is now 5.7%. I believe, when interest rates goes down, and the government FINALLY gets their green subsides off the ground, then economic growth will be strong.
The ball is in their court.

Canada's economy was in a recession in 2015, because of the oil crash. The unemployment rate was 7%, before Trudeau was elected. It is now 5.7%. I believe, when interest rates goes down, and the government FINALLY gets their green subsides off the ground, then economic growth will be strong.
The ball is in their court.

I don't think you're getting it. Unless he can magically make houses appear out of nowhere as if it were some kind of SimCity game, he's toast. A marginally better economy isn't going to sway anyone who can't afford to buy a house.

PP Housing plan is worse. A strong economy, plus major gains to both housing and the environment does go a long way. Hopefully the Gaza war is over by fall 2025 election.

But also, of course Boomers are happy, they robbed subsequent generations of nearly everything to have the comfortable life they live now.
Late-term Trudeau has a similar air to late-term Tory; PR-friendly managerial ‘centrism’ beset by intensifying crises, while leadership feels like it is absent or aspirationally demure in the face of these issues.

The difference is that I think Trudeau will see it through to the election, while Tory took an early exit stage left.

PP Housing plan is worse. A strong economy, plus major gains to both housing and the environment does go a long way. Hopefully the Gaza war is over by fall 2025 election.

Poilievre's Housing Plan maybe worse. But coming from the guys who saw affordability absolutely tank on their watch, that's a hard sell.

Though I care deeply about climate change, I'll be the first to admit that the majority of voters don't care that much at all. Especially, if they are struggling to afford what they would consider a middle class lifestyle.

Gaza war? Only the most partisan and/or perpetually online care about that. The average Canadian really doesn't care.

Finally, "strong economy" is based on entirely on GDP growth and slightly lower unemployment. That says nothing about quality of life. India has a larger economy than Switzerland. But somehow, I doubt more people would choose to work and live in India rather than Switzerland. Most people intuitively understand this. And Liberals who keep pushing the argument that the economy is great, are starting to look out of touch.

The difference is that I think Trudeau will see it through to the election, while Tory took an early exit stage left.

Trudeau and the LPC have no choice. They haven't cultivated any real talent as an alternative. And now any new leader will be a lame duck facing worse results when the NDP eventually pull the plug. Far better for Trudeau to go down with the ship and get to rebuilding the party and brand in 2026, than try to hold on now with a reshuffling.

Trudeau and the LPC have no choice. They haven't cultivated any real talent as an alternative. And now any new leader will be a lame duck facing worse results when the NDP eventually pull the plug. Far better for Trudeau to go down with the ship and get to rebuilding the party and brand in 2026, than try to hold on now with a reshuffling.

The worst thing the LPC could do is have lame duck leaders like they did after Chretien with Ignattief, Dion, Rae, Graham and Martin.

It did them no good, almost lost them official party status and put them in their current mess.

They need a statesman like they had with Chretien, not a parrot who will read every prepared statement put in front of them.

The worst thing the LPC could do is have lame duck leaders like they did after Chretien with Ignattief, Dion, Rae, Graham and Martin.

It did them no good, almost lost them official party status and put them in their current mess.

They need a statesman like they had with Chretien, not a parrot who will read every prepared statement put in front of them.

They can't waste talent on a major upcoming loss. That's why it's better for Trudeau to go down with the ship and the start fresh.

They can't waste talent on a major upcoming loss. That's why it's better for Trudeau to go down with the ship and the start fresh.

I agree 100%

I'm just saying after he loses they can't get a series of nobody's in to fill the leadership void like they did after Paul Martin

Look at the state of the world right now. People are angry. Interest rates of high, people are angry with what Israel is doing to Gaza, People are angry about Climate Change, etc.
The was a survey that said because of high interest rates, people feel worst now, then at the beginning of the pandemic, when everything was closed.
Having Trudeau or anything other leader is not going to change anything.

Let's see interest rates come down, and a climate plan implemented, and see what happens. Say by the end of the year, Canada's economy is booming, and people are feeling good, and Israel ends its war on Gaza. A lot of things can happen, even in the months ahead.

Look at the state of the world right now. People are angry. Interest rates of high, people are angry with what Israel is doing to Gaza, People are angry about Climate Change, etc.

Who are these "people"?

Most of the my friends and family don't give a damn about climate change or Israel-Gaza (just seen as another event in a never ending conflict). And high interest rates are seen as part of a substantial increase in cost of living. That is about the only thing that upsets them. Interest rates going down won't rollback prices though. So they're going to be mad about cost of living till they are habituated to new prices and wages catch up.

A lot of people are upset about climate change and Israel-Gaza.

Trudeau cannot wave his magic wand, and interest rates are goes down or make the Israel-Gaza war stop. With interest rates, the Bank of Canada hikes are
the main cause of inflation right now. Take away mortgage interest and the inflation rate in Canada is 1.7%.

What the government can do is implement their climate plan and create good paying jobs. I

Yesterday, I was walking outside, without a jacket in the middle of winter. That shit is not normal. Trust me, millions of Canadian are worried about climate change.

Back