Toronto Toronto Coach Terminal Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | CreateTO

Yes, this impacts the site, and many more sites throughout downtown which need to reduce height now.

It’s my understanding that there was an incident with a helicopter at one of the hospitals that triggered the need for these changes, so it’s all for good reason.
OK, any idea on what the new HEIGHT-LIMIT on that corner is now in M or Storeys..? Thx!

Oh, FFS..! It looks like the new, expanded MZO flight-paths now appear to place a serious height restriction on the BAY street parcel, directly over the old Coach Terminal...???

Can someone with a more expert eye please confirm if my "BLUE cone is now a problem" assumption is correct..??? Thx!

SOURCE - https://cassels.com/insights/the-sk...l-height-of-development-in-torontos-downtown/

View attachment 538423

@TwinHuey is best placed to identify what elevation limit would apply in this section.

In terms of the site overall, obviously @Tuscani01 has identified that this is an impact, but my cautious read is that there is enough footprint left, even while not touching the Bay-side heritage to do something workable here. It just wouldn't be the same as it was previously conceived of, which likely means a delay.......

It would also be a highly irregular shape. Which UT'ers would love.....but has impacts on build costs.

Last edited:
Looks like it may be around 50 metres. As @Northern Light pointed out, it likely just means moving around the massing. It’s a big enough site to play around with.

Does this impact any building already approved and under construction that has not yet reached an offending height?

So far, my read is that the most conspicuous impact is on the 483 Bay proposal, which would be toast in its current form. (St. Mike's Western Approach)

Last edited:
So 522 University, but not The United BLDG as an example?

If 522 were under the path at its current height / articulation, yes, it would be affected. As United Bldg has a permit and is under construction, it would not.

Off the top of my head, ones to look out for:
  • KingSett - Atrium on Bay
  • GWL - 200 University
  • Northam - 250 University
  • Northam - 483 Bay
  • CentreCourt - 260 Adelaide (it's riiiight on the cusp though so maybe not)
  • KingSett - 214-230 Sherbourne (which, interestingly, they've already offered to sell back to the City...)
  • Dash - 225 Queen East
  • Lamb - 75 Ontario
Those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Last edited:
@TwinHuey is best placed to identify what elevation limit would apply in this section.

In terms of the site overall, obviously @Tuscani01 has identified that this is an impact, but my cautious read is that there is enough footprint left, even while not touching the Bay-side heritage to do something workable here. It just wouldn't be the same as it was previously conceived of, which likely means a delay.......

It would also be a highly irregular shape. Which UT'ers would love.....but has impacts on build costs.
Sorry @Northern Light, I wish I could provide some insight but my experience / knowledge is dated. All I recall is that Transport Canada required H1 heliports to have approach / departure corridors at an 8° slope extending out 625m from the helideck. No idea about the corridor width requirements.

I know this may sound a bit far fetched, but if HSC moves the heliport to the roof top of the proposed new tower, it would add approximately 17 storeys of allowable height under the approach / departure corridors.

I'd be curious to see what the approach / departure corridors look like with the helideck on the western edge of the new tower.

I would hope that slightly changing the angle of the corridors to the new tower would not result in restrictive zoning for additional properties nor would it be an issue from a flight operations perspective. Both would need to be confirmed.

For @ProjectEnd a closer look at the western and eastern approaches for St. Mikes.

MapNo_346-scaled2.jpg

Now the Eastern Approach:

MapNo_347-scaled2.jpg

Someone should really think about shrinking that cone to the east and also get rid of the north approach.

Why would they do this, when:

a) They just enlarged it, literally, and did so, it would seem, because of a clear safety issue.

b) Why would we limit safe transport of medically emergent patients to world leading hospitals, so a dozen building sites can be taller? Does this really seem like a good trade? Not to me.

Back