Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Realistically, I think the people of Brampton won’t care which alignment is chosen unless they’re stuck with the bill.

I mean, clearly not. The Councillors who voted along those lines all lost their jobs on the say so of those locals, so…
There has been 3 councils since the line was announced in 2015. So, which councils were for what? I think this council was the one for tunneling and the people voted them in.

Realistically, I think the people of Brampton won’t care which alignment is chosen unless they’re stuck with the bill.
Unless they get stuck in the traffic losing a lane each way.

I should have listened to my own advice and not feed the troll.
You didn't feed the trolls; it went off rail several pages back with a few members that should move offline to continue to debate it there than here.

I enjoy arguing over the Brampton side of the LRT, it's been my hobby for almost a decade now as team surface.

Any perspective that supports cutting off this extension at Steeles belongs in a fringe minority.
The vast majority of experts here and residents in Brampton support the concept of an extension to the Kitchener GO line and don't need to be convinced of the benefits and ridership.
These are known facts at this point.

I'm going to wait and see what option the province commits for funding, that's when the real fun begins. I hope the IBC is made public next week.
Anyone know of potential timelines or estimates on next steps and announcements?

I enjoy arguing over the Brampton side of the LRT, it's been my hobby for almost a decade now as team surface.

Any perspective that supports cutting off this extension at Steeles belongs in a fringe minority.
The vast majority of experts here and residents in Brampton support the concept of an extension to the Kitchener GO line and don't need to be convinced of the benefits and ridership.

I'm going to wait and see what option the province commits for funding, that's when the real fun begins. I hope the IBC is made public next week.
Anyone know of potential timelines or estimates on next steps and announcements?

The IBC might get a brief reference in the Metrolinx February 15th board meeting. Very hard to predict what will happen next. There's also a Provincial budget in March or April.

I do have to wonder what the outcome would be if Brampton were told they need to commit 1/3 and will be given funding for either underground to the station or a surface route to Mayfield.

^ Any surface route all the way to Mayfield hasn't been studied in-depth, and I would have to assume staff would advise that they'd rather see any Nelson-Mayfield portion funds used for Queen BRT first. Queen - Highway 7 BRT is actively being studied by Metrolinx.

Here's the New OP draft schedule for the transit network. Council adopted the New OP and its waiting for Peel Region to approve it.

1706823009902.png

Last edited:
Back in July 2023, I submitted a request for information to Metrolinx to find out more about the Hurontario LRT’s name change in honour of a political and personal ally of Premier Doug Ford. I got the documents in late January. There were a few interesting things that came out of it.

Back in July 2023, I submitted a request for information to Metrolinx to find out more about the Hurontario LRT’s name change in honour of a political and personal ally of Premier Doug Ford. I got the documents in late January. There were a few interesting things that came out of it.

Great read - thanks for your work cobbling these documents together. It will always be the Hurontario LRT in my heart!

Great piece of journalism!

I will refer to it as Hurontario LRT. I expect eventually the name will be reverted back.

Its a historic downtown with very limited roadspace that the city is interested in pedestrianizing part of. Its not the greatest excuse, but its far from the worst excuse that has been made for burying a section. Its no worse than burying the section of Eglinton between Mt Dennis and Bathurst that's for sure. Its the same reason why burying the Yonge St Rapidway between Major Mackenzie and Levendale was on the books for a significant portion of the Yonge Rapidway's planning process.
The City of Brampton is not interested in meaningfully pedestrianizing downtown Brampton, Planning staff repeatedly objected to removing the two car lanes in downtown.
It seems you don't understand what's going on in Brampton. Brampton is currently the hotspot for the tens of thousands of international students that come to Ontario every year. They are the reason why Zum ridership has absolutely exploded in the last decade, currently smashing pre-covid records.
View attachment 536538
These students are currently packed in small apartments that house up to 24 people, and that don't have the money to afford or get around by car. They also make up a large chunk of the Kitchener Line ridership including packing the coaches with bikes (If you've ever been on a weekend Kitchener Line train, you'd see just how insane it gets in terms of ridership).
All of this is to say, if there is a city that can easily generate the necessary foot traffic for such a project, it is without question Brampton.
The Ridership growth is heavily concentrated on the Chinguacousy and Dixie buses which have absurd growth, each growing by around 100% since 2019. The 502 Main bus in contrast has seen significantly less growth.
Algoma University's Brampton campus is downtown. It, too, has a lot of international students (which is probably why they're located in Brampton), but it's not a scam like the colleges; they are real university instructors using real classrooms and offering bit of student life. Yet I still wish the province didn't pull the rug out from under the Sheridan/TMU campus in 2018.
Algoma is definitely engaging in sketchy behaviour, their Brampton campus has more internal students than every other campus has students total. They went from under 2000 international students total in 2021 to 9000 today. Algoma has more students in Brampton by this date than the TMU campus was supposed to have.
Any real density for the area will be north of CN Bridge, west of the Downtown 3 blocks, east of CN bridge over Queen. You may see some density in the southeast area on the southside of the CN Queen bridge. To put density in the existing blocks of the Downtown will be hard if you are retaining the existing buildings.

If Rotterdam can do this on the same size as Brampton Street, then Brampton can do it. This is an S shape street at this location and became straight to the left that we walked along in 2022. Yes, transit will run in mix traffic for 2-3 blocks that will not be a killer.
The submitted plan for the Downtown Brampton MTSA has almost the entire area zoned for high density. In the long term the area will probably reach a median height of 30+ storeys, including south of the CN bridge. The data I have seen on applications suggests developers do not care if the LRT is coming, only that they are allowed very high density zoning.
So, we should ignore all the people who want it underground? If I lived in that area,I would hate "the government" shoving the cheapest option in just because it is the cheapest option.
The reason people support the tunneled option is because Brown keeps swearing the LRT will be free for Brampton. If you asked them to pay an extra $300 or more per year in property taxes, they might have a different storey.

The issue we have is people want the LRT and do not care about the cost compared to the benefits.
I do have to wonder what the outcome would be if Brampton were told they need to commit 1/3 and will be given funding for either underground to the station or a surface route to Mayfield.
Mayor Brown has indicated he is unwilling to pay for the LRT, I think perhaps the province should call his bluff and say they will contribute 1/3 to the project, contingent upon the City paying a 27% share.
^ Any surface route all the way to Mayfield hasn't been studied in-depth, and I would have to assume staff would advise that they'd rather see any Nelson-Mayfield portion funds used for Queen BRT first. Queen - Highway 7 BRT is actively being studied by Metrolinx.

Here's the New OP draft schedule for the transit network. Council adopted the New OP and its waiting for Peel Region to approve it.

View attachment 537093
Keep in mind this map is the result of crayoning by the Planning Department, not from Brampton Transit. It is so obviously crayoning that the hijra convinced Brampton's planning department to add the Potential for The Gore Road and Mayfield Road.

The City of Brampton is not interested in meaningfully pedestrianizing downtown Brampton, Planning staff repeatedly objected to removing the two car lanes in downtown.
I think I wasn't clear on what I meant. The City in Brampton is interested in giving more pedestrian and cycling space, not getting rid of cars entirely. That's why the surface option for this extension has it running in mixed traffic with cars, because according to city staff the only option other than getting rid of car lanes entirely is to get rid of bike lanes, which they object to doing completely.

Back