Toronto King-Liberty GO Station | 21.39m | 3s | Metrolinx | WSP

Very much looking forward to the level connection along the rail bridge from Hanna to the North side of King.

There's a walkway behind 1100 King St. W. with access to the WeWork, Winners, and the Sonder (that I've noticed-- may be more connections) descending from rail level at the East end to street level by the time it gets to Joe Shuster.

It's very clearly roughed in to connect through to the walkway once the station building is in place, and will be a very attractive point to connect into Liberty Village from the North.

Then there's the Railpath extension down Sudbury which is planned to Abell, as well as the expropriation/demolition of 99 Sudbury which could've put that extension and an access point anywhere between Lisgar and Dovercourt.

It all makes the chosen location on Sudbury disappointing and confusing. I think it's perfectly fair to ask why/how it was chosen-- without public consultation-- by an organization and its government which doesn't have a great track record when it comes to transparency or accountability.

Planning application submitted to the City back in November. Link here.

From a cursory look, two new renderings:

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 23.16.15.png
Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 23.16.08.png

I can't put words in their mouths and verify that "they don't care about you" if you don't pay but I can quote their own mission statement to "connect communities". A problem with Toronto transportation is how agencies/departments can be indifferent to other forms of transportation not directly related to their project.

This bridge's primary purpose may be to bring passengers to a GO station but it can just as well be used as a quick connection between the Queen and King streetcar when one is out of service.

View attachment 529283
I agree and feel this is where Toronto (and dare I say Canada?) often fails compared to other places except maybe the US. It would be nice if those creating infrastructure (or service - looking at you, Air Canada), considered the whole picture and not just what benefits them the most. Indeed, there are other ways to make money off a bridge that connects two sides over tracks with a station. For example, you could rent out some space on the bridge for food/drink vendors outside the pay area rather than only inside. But maybe I'm wrong & they were considering the connectivity as EnviroTO outlined. I dunno.

According to this handout I got from the Exhibition Ontario Line open house, there will be two pedestrian bridges connecting Sudbury, King and Joe Schuster way.

The woman I talked to there said it wasn't in the rendering shown on the handout, which is the same as the newest ones l we've seen.

20240204_132813.jpg

I like the renderings showing the name to be "King Station" -- which is a duplicate name of a subway station. Probably just a placeholder I know, but Metrolinx recently sucks at station naming, most likely partially Doug Ford's fault.

On the other hand, though, King-Liberty is also a pretty bad name, combining a specific street name (King) with the name of a larger locale (Liberty - I presume it is not a reference to Liberty Street, which is not significant and doesn't intersect with King).

I do not believe in neighbourhood names for rapid transit stations, but for a commuter line with much larger stop spacing, Liberty Village would be an ideal name for the station.

The renderings are horrifying on all fronts. It looks like someone forgot to enable the building texture layer before rendering. Most modern architects are such hacks.

I like the renderings showing the name to be "King Station" -- which is a duplicate name of a subway station. Probably just a placeholder I know, but Metrolinx recently sucks at station naming, most likely partially Doug Ford's fault.
A while back Metrolinx stated that the current "SmartTrack" station names are placeholders. Hopefully we get "Liberty Village".

According to this handout I got from the Exhibition Ontario Line open house, there will be two pedestrian bridges connecting Sudbury, King and Joe Schuster way.

The woman I talked to there said it wasn't in the rendering shown on the handout, which is the same as the newest ones l we've seen.

View attachment 537947
Surprised they didn't mention how much better the connectivity to Pearson will be for local residents.

Surprised they didn't mention how much better the connectivity to Pearson will be for local residents.
It’s possible UPX won’t stop here. For one there’s the ‘express’ nature but also the station drawings make me skeptical. I believe the UPX would run on the tracks adjacent to the single island platform but there’s no indication of level boarding on the platform.

The platform is aligned as follows (in brackets are my presumed annotations):
NEWMARKET EAST (Barrie 1)

NEWMARKET WEST (Barrie 2)

WESTON 1 (Kitchener Express 1)

WESTON 2 (Kitchener Express 2)

WESTON 3 (Kitchener 1/UPX 1)

ISLAND PLATFORM

WESTON 4 (Kitchener 2/UPX 2)

GALT NORTH (Milton 1)

FUTURE GALT SOUTH (Milton 2)

It’s possible UPX won’t stop here. For one there’s the ‘express’ nature but also the station drawings make me skeptical. I believe the UPX would run on the tracks adjacent to the single island platform but there’s no indication of level boarding on the platform.

The platform is aligned as follows (in brackets are my presumed annotations):

I don't think UPX is planned to stop at King-Liberty. I meant that the connection from GO to UPX at Bloor will be a lot faster and more reliable than 504 to UPX.

Back