563     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Soknacki's new campaign ad. :)
soknacki.jpg

Attachments

• soknacki.jpg
    soknacki.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 416
On reddit the guy that made the changes said he was contacted by David Soknacki's campaign manager.

You actually think the PC's will build a subway with the costs? And the NDP if elected do not want more taxes for families so they will kill it, then back to LRT. Just becuase it was debated I do not understand the line "no one will revisit this debtae". Perhaps if people were informed during this race. I still think put it to a referendum to see the vote or do polls in Scarbourough. There have got to be people who are unimformed who favor subway because they feel they will be getting a stop. Who would not favour a subway if thats what they thought would happen (and the fact property values would rise)

If the PCs become the next governing party, there is no way an LRT will be built in Scarborough, nor on Finch West or Sheppard East (Finch and Sheppard should have LRT technology), and the chances of an NDP government winning the upcoming election is quite slim. Maybe the NDP can add a few more seats, but that's about it. Most likely we'll have a minority PC government or another minority Liberal government. The provincial money that was for the Scarborough LRT is now the Scarborough Subway money. The Federal government has forked over millions for it. City Council is raising the cash for it whether you like how they are doing it or not. Politicians like David Sokancki and Josh Matlow can keep saying the LRT is better for Scarborough all they want. They sound like sore losers at this point. Fact is that there is no point in reopening the Scarborough Rapid Transit debate and mayoral candidates like Karen Stintz and John Tory are smart to reaffirm that. They are at least campaigning on a Relief Line which is forward thinking for Toronto's transit needs. LRT isn't coming to Scarborough and I wish a smart guy like Soknacki would see this and not waste time campaigning on a dead transit plan that isn't going to happen.

Well, I for one don;t see that it is a given the Scarborough subway will happen. And if it takes Sokancki to become mayor for that to happen I am all for that. Karen will no longer have her councillor seat. Thats another thing - that those running for mayor that are presently councillors, can decide to quit if they see the polls do not look good for them and continue to run as councillor. Thats not right at all.

Oh, Karen, Karen, Karen:

Good god, these people...

I don't think Stintz is malicious, but she is very obviously new to all this 'urban stuff' and has lived a very shielded life thus far. To say something like that in a city where almost 50% of the population consists of renters shows a serious lack of awareness.

The 'let's make it better' after she describes having what most Torontonians aspire to is also quite misguided.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that. I've got my eye on him. So far his campaign has been nothing short of brilliant.

The moment John Tory and Karen Stintz entered the race, Soknacki became a footnote. When Chow announces, he'll still be at the back of the line. I don't see him gaining much traction. Tory, Stintz and Chow have the absolute best political people working for them to get their campaign messages out. He doesn't nor does Ford. Soknacki hasn't gained much traction at all in the almost 2 months of his campaign. Tory, Stintz, Ford and as-soon-as-she-announces Chow will steal any spotlight that Soknacki's campaign would hope to have. Don't be shocked if he is out of the race at some point in the summer to endorse either Chow or Tory.

John Tory is in a tough spot in relation to the Fords. They obviously want to drag him down into the mud with them with all their talk about conspiracies and elites. Whether or not he decides to fight back directly, he risks getting taken off message and losing that image of the mature candidate who's above all the bickering at City Hall. Even people who don't support Ford may still be influenced by all the comments the Fords make about Tory being an "elite" who's never set foot in a TCHC development.

This is probably one of the reasons why Chow is waiting so long to declare. Let all the other candidates sling mud at each other for a month or two, then she can come in as the mature MP who's been getting work done in Ottawa.

Back