Square One Shopping Centre

I highly doubt Walmart is going anywhere. I'm sure they have a long-term lease. The fact that it causes traffic chaos is a good thing, it's bringing people to the mall. You don't want to have fewer people coming to the mall.

I highly doubt Walmart is going anywhere. I'm sure they have a long-term lease. The fact that it causes traffic chaos is a good thing, it's bringing people to the mall. You don't want to have fewer people coming to the mall.

I guess if square one really wanted them out they could convince the workers at walmart to unionize...that always seems to prompt walmart to close stores.

Maybe I'm wrong but a lot of the assumptions that Walmart should/will move seem to come from this idea that Square One can only succeed if it becomes more exclusive and high end in its selection of retailers. Personally I think that's a stretch, to say the least.

I think it's just the usual Walmart hate, and has no basis in reality. Until Oxford announces otherwise, Walmart is staying put.

Not the same market, and just renders, but still interesting. This new mall in China that is going to be built:

23161_1_sparkfuzhou1.jpg

Source: http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=23161

Shanghai 360 was the only other place to open this weekend beside Tim's and Cultures.

The rest will follow sometime this month.

Hakim's is still unpacking in their new location and not open.

As for the China Mall, stores are a lot smaller than here. Never saw a Walmart last year on my Europe trip. Then I never saw a IKEA store in Sweden of all places.

Sq One needs to reinvent itself into a compact area and going up many floors as well adding more stores and anchor chains. 4 anchors doesn't cut it these days.

If you make this mall a high upscale mall and toss Walmart out along with the Dollar Store, not many buyer will be seen in the mall.

4 down and 4 to go. Both Amaya and SU & SHI are open and no idea what date they open this week.

The west eating area was being washed down including the floor, but not completed yet. Could be done tonight or tomorrow night to be open on Sat.

All the new signs are up for the existing outlets.

I forgot to mention that real plate, bowls and utensils went into service on the 1st.

The Gap is still in the same spot.

Stockholm has moved and Steve Madden is taking over this location. No idea who/what it is since I never heard of him before.

We were at Square One tonight and ate at the food court - it was packed! On leaving the mall, noticed new outdoor signage at the Bay...

hudsons-bay-001.jpg

I dunno, definitely a change from the old yellow signage...I posted a survey question on my blog asking thumbs up or down, feel free to visit and vote!

http://randyselzer.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/hudsons-bay-rebranding/

Another food outlet is open and maybe the last section for the seating area will be open on Sat as it is only missing tables now.

The walkway between the north and central corridor is history and replace by a large store. The same thing is happening in the centre area.

Aldo store is close now in the centre corridor.

They finally installed the escalators in the centre area and should be open in a few weeks. Almost ready to put the new ones into service in the centre corridor.

Steel going up for the new extension with double level by the existing mall.

Looks like The Source is near ready to open.

The new Bay logo is better. As noted, they need to clean the area up.

Steve Madden is open as another shoe store. Shoe store come and go all the time to the point that I had to laugh to see Skeckers another shoe store is going in next to Madden of all things.

Hakim is still not open.

Its been a busy week at the mall this week with all the opening of new places since I saw it on Sunday.

Burger King is open leaving 2 to go.

A&W have reopen after reno.

The Source is open and a very deep store compare to what used to be there in the first place. Looks to be bigger than the old store.

Urban Planet is Open.

YVES Rocher is now open and looks bigger than the old place.

The last section of the food court seating area is open and still missing trim.

The west escalator in the centre court look complete and that is fast, but the east one still has a lot of work to be done on it yet.

Signs going up on the hoarding indicate who is coming later this year various locations.

More steel is up for the expansion
9573990846_996697b3eb_b.jpg

9571194483_aea7007d72_b.jpg

9573991834_f08bcb4632_b.jpg

9571192777_640fd170ea_b.jpg

9573990370_e50166e2e6_b.jpg

9571197433_91a3511743_b.jpg

Looks like only Chipotle is left to open in the food court. Both escalators are coming along; most of the steps on the east one have been installed.

Back