News   May 15, 2024
 407     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Goldie:

In post #11380 (not trump tower pic!)

JK (railmus)

That "Flatiron" (S/E corner, Esplanade/Yonge) appears to be a condominium, name unknown but has been there for many years.

another Flatiron.jpg

Attachments

• another Flatiron.jpg
    another Flatiron.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 748
Then. "October 16, 1911. Queen st. viaduct. Looking E from River st."

This is the second and still extant bridge at this location. Our 1916 picture charms us in its details. I can pick out the commuters going home (it's late afternoon judging from the shadows) on the back of the streetcar - it must have been fun to stand there as the car sped you home. One has to go to San Francisco for a similar experience today. Queen was unpaved at this time; it must have been very dusty. Shoes only came in one version in those days - black leather and they had to be polished - a seemingly pointless labour given the short life of a shine.

Looking at the street car tracks I am half expecting Buster Keaton to come along in a "railway track speeder". What grade schooler hasn't seen this National Film Board short? :) Please take the time to view it if you haven't seen it. You will be surprised and delighted.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/railrodder/?ec=en20100324

Anyways, once again I verge on boring you (too late you say?). Here is Queen street in it's dusty glory, complete with police constable making sure "nothing is going on 'ere then."

f1231_it0512.jpg

Now. May 2011.

DSC_0219-1.jpg

FYI the exit from bayview just south of this picture on river is now closed. It appears it will never be re opened..........sadly, that was one of the unique features of the roads around this area...........sighhhhhhh

Moving a vault for Dominion Bank - Bay St. at Melinda (Toronto Telegram Bldg. at right)

Disappointed that I could not achieve same elevation as original view.
However, location is quite accurate.

King and Widmer, 1970's:

kingwest3.jpg

Today:

kingwidmer.jpg

SW corner of King & John, 1970's:

kingwest.jpg

Today:

King/Spadina 1919:

kingspadina1919.jpg

1970's:

kingwest5.jpg

Today:

kingspadina.jpg

Attachments

• kingwest3.jpg
    kingwest3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 743
  • kingwidmer.jpg
    kingwidmer.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 749
  • kingwest.jpg
    kingwest.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 750
  • kingspadina1919.jpg
    kingspadina1919.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 712
  • kingwest5.jpg
    kingwest5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 728
  • kingspadina.jpg
    kingspadina.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
were the trolly and street cars using the same power source?

The trolley buses and streetcars were capable of sharing the same energized wire, as they used the same voltages (of course trolley buses required the return wire that streetcars do not). In Toronto's case, photos that I've seen, such as on Bay between Dundas and College 1976-1993 and on Oakwood from Rogers to St. Clair 1960-1974, showed separate wires where both operated. But trolley buses and streetcars share the same overhead on Market Street in San Francisco.

Back