Toronto Garrison Crossing (was Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge) | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Pedelta

The bridge is happening. I received confirmation from Mike Layton's office that it will indeed go ahead as planned.

Thats good to hear, MetroMan, because I heard a few weeks ago from a manager that the bridge was scrapped because it went over budget. Looks like they worked something out.

^ Now I'm not so sure. Layton's office reassured me in February that the bridge was going to be built but your more recent source says it will be scrapped. I'm writing back to the councillors office to get the latest.

From the GO Georgetown/ARL thread in the T&I sub-forum. These images show the Fort York Pedestrian Bridge in relation to the Strachan Avenue Overpass.

At the Strachan Avenue Overpass Design Update meeting in October 2010, we shared how the Strachan Avenue Overpass would look once built. The design includes a series of struts running across the lowered rail corridor roughly from Stanley Terrace to Shaw Street.

The community asked us to explore if the struts could be designed to incorporate architectural elements that would reflect the overall aesthetics of the surrounding community. In February, we asked residents to review four strut options and vote for their favourite.

With feedback from over 150 community members, we are excited to announce the winner:

strachan_new_rendering_east-1000x750.jpg

strachan_new_rendering_closeup-1000x750.jpg

strachan_new_rendering_west-1000x750.jpg

Source

What is with the horribly inaccurate skyline shot?

I think you're looking at models from Google Earth.

The Contract for the bridge is up for approval later in the week:

"The Public Works and Infrastructure Committee grant authority to award Contract 10FS-34S, Tender Call 353-2010 to BOT Engineering & Construction Ltd., in the amount of $22,419,395.00 net of all applicable taxes and charges, for the construction of the Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge over GO Transit Tracks from Wellington Street West to Fort York and associated approach trails, having submitted the lowest bid meeting specifications in conformance with the Tender requirements." See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.PW3.13

Not so fast...

From @Goldsbie's tweets:

"Shiner is looking to kill the nifty Fort York pedestrian bridge."
"It's already been budgeted for (from waterfront revitalization project funding), & Layton is trying to save it from this last-minute attack."
"Grimes thinks "it's not good enough if it's a pedestrian and bike bridge. It's gotta serve more than that.""
"The vote splits along obvious lines. Out of nowhere and without warning, the Friends of Fort York have been screwed over hard."

Enraging.

Back