1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 682     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.3K     7 

re: Plane-spotting at Pearson..

P

p5archit

I am not sure where to post this thread, mainly because it transportation based, but not necessarily public transit. Please feel free to move if necessary.

Anyways-I just came home from an eventful night of plane-spotting at Pearson. The reason I say eventful, was due to the large amount of aircraft movement. Now that March break has started, there is a higher number of planes taking off and landing, making for some great spotting moments.

I remember as a kid, I used to go up to the top of old Terminal 1's parking garage and watch the planes from there, but as everyone knows that spot is no longer. As a teenager, I used to go to the McDonnel Douglas parking lot which was right beside the runway after the cargo building and the AC hangars, but sadly that too has been demolished; parking lot and all.

Tonight I made a real effort to figure some new spots out and I googled the map of around Pearson, but found very little-instead I did it just by driving around. I noticed now, having not been in Toronto for the last 7 or so years, that everywhere you watch planes, well technically speaking, the GTAA have erected signs making stopping illegal. What gives? I stopped on the shoulder anyways and stayed for 25 mins. at the end of runway 24R which is located parallel to the 427 Northbound. It was great, and I had a wonderful vantage point of the airport and the runway- its a little lower than the runway surface, but still makes for some great viewing. There is nothing like the experience- flying is great, but the next best thing is to watching the planes..IMO at least.

After about 25 mins., I decided to take a drive around the airport grounds and see if I couldn't find another spot, maybe one parallel to a runway. I did, but I have to admit it was sketchy, but I don't think it was illegal. I was about 50 m. from planes taxiing to the runways..Phenomenal! After hanging out at this spot, I decide to head to another place, but got confused and finally decided to go home.

However, all the NO-STOPPING signs and such got me thinking? Why have they made spotting (stopping) illegal around the airpor? After the have dismantled every spot which used to be legal, the went one step further and made the remaining spots (roadways) illegal as well. It is a real shame and I find that the GTAA has done itself a diservice.

Now that I know of a few spots where i might try my luck again I am not so worried for the next 2 or 3 times, but after that is what gets me annoyed. Where can I go? I mean, there are a few spots which are supposedly located off of Derry Rd., but I want a place which is well located and is open to the public-safe and legal. No harm in that is there?

To make a long story long-ER, I have decided to set up a petition over the next weeks to get the GTAA to open a viewing spot for plane spotters. I would like to suggest a variety of spots, so that there is some room for discussion, but I would ultimately like to have 2 viewing areas- in case of high capacity crowds- which i don't think will happen..however.Also it may make it easier for the GTAA to swallow.

If people have suggestions as to areas which they think would be most suitable for a viewing area- be reasonable, then please add here. Based on results, I would and preferences I will do my best to include it in my petition's proposal.

Thanks.

p5

PS- I will post a shot or two in the next day(s)..

I really miss the old T-1 terminal rooftop. That place was the greatest. I usually head down that little road on the north side by the Fed Ex complex. I know many people go to Tim hortons on airport rd and walk down to the petro canada station to watch some planes. Nothing like watching a 747 swaying back and forth on its approach.

I heard rumors of an a380 flying into town on some forum. Anyone hear anything about it?

p5....EVERYTHING changed for spotters on 9-11-01...not just at Pearson, but everywhere...you were very lucky that you were not hassled by the police, especially when you were at 24L...they have an ongoing directive to keep people away from the runways. Even the road by Fedex is patrolled. They often will check your I.D., before "asking" you to leave.

But this is nothing compared to some U.S. airports. There are numerous reports of spotters who have actually been detained (i.e. jail) there. Lots of these incidents have been reported on sites like airliners.net, even in places like Buffalo and Cleveland. The observation decks at JFK are long closed. So it's not a problem exclusive to the GTAA. Good luck with the petition, but it has already been tried.

Jayomatic...regarding the A380...there have been some rumours, but nothing definite....it will be touring JFK and ORD very soon (end of March).

^^yyzer: thanks for the information. Although I didn't mention it in my post, I was pretty sure that 9-11 was the cause which lead to the ultimate demise of spotting areas. During my rounds I noticed a good amount of Peel Police checking the grounds.

Sadly, I think that as you have stated that even with a petition we may be out of luck- I did hear of others taking the same approach, however I hope that due to the time that has past since 9-11, we may have a better chance.

Lets see what happens.

p5

good luck man. i used to love watching planes as a kid. but they're very close to where i live (britannia west-ish) so i see planes all the time, not overly close, but still.

re:plane-spotting

My brother lives a little further south from the airport and is on the approach path for 33L and 33R- so I can relate to what you mean by seeing planes all the time. But it is something more than just watching planes landing and taking off- there is something unique about a spot where people from around the globe converge-its a bit odd to say, but there is something almost ethereal about it- especially at night. A fantastic sight..

p5

Re: re:plane-spotting

I grew up in Horley, next to Gatwick airport, and was weened on the heady aroma of aviation fuel - so aircraft are about as exciting to me as buses. My parents used to walk across the fields at the back of our house to dinner dances at the posh new airport in the late 1950's, avoiding the cows and stepping carefully between the pats - especially so when they returned in the dark.

Back