Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I understand the struts, what I don't understand is why a deck isn't put over top, even if it couldn't be accessible to the public as is true of many other green roof projects, with sound absorbing base and a low-maintenance green sod on top in order to soften the impact of the corridor on the area. It surely isn't long enough to cause significant ventilation issues?

In the context of anywhere but on the ground "low-maintenance green sod' is anything but. Add to that extra costs of needing to support water and snow loads compared to the current design and you have your answer.

Was it even considered? If Eb Zeidler thinks the Allen can be decked over, then surely there are possible options to support a load in this situation.

I noticed recently they started clearing alot of trees on the north side of the Humber River bridge.
I presume this is for the Humber River bridge expansion?

Apologies for the poor quality cell phone picture in a moving train.

gtshumberriver.jpg

gtshumberriver2.jpg

How many tracks will the bridge support? It doesn't say in the presentation.

Also, I was amused by their diagrams of trains on the corridor. The ARL train is two MP40 locomotives with windows poorly photoshopped on. The VIA train has British MK3 cars with an incorrect paint scheme (Renaissance cars are MK4).

The current bridge will support 2 as far as I know, as the bridge over Weston Rd was built for 2. I need to looked at old photos I shot years ago, as something say its a single track as I type this.

Regardless if its a single or double track, there will be 4 tracks going in for this area now.

Those bridges are currently single track only, of course as you mentioned that'll be irrelevant when they go to 4 tracks. To note there will be a slight bottleneck in the future just west of there. The 401 bridge over the Weston sub is wide enough for 3 tracks only and there aren't any plans in place to rebuild that structure. Everywhere else it can be expended to four. Though that short stretch shouldn't be a problem with proper scheduling.

How many tracks will the bridge support? It doesn't say in the presentation.
Page 21 of the presentation suggests it will be 3.

From GO's GTS website:
The 2015 Opening Day Build will include the addition of two tracks resulting in a total of three tracks in the north half of the GO Georgetown South Corridor and an additional track to the south, for a total of five tracks.

Those bridges are currently single track only, of course as you mentioned that'll be irrelevant when they go to 4 tracks. To note there will be a slight bottleneck in the future just west of there. The 401 bridge over the Weston sub is wide enough for 3 tracks only and there aren't any plans in place to rebuild that structure. Everywhere else it can be expended to four. Though that short stretch shouldn't be a problem with proper scheduling.

I take the train everyday, to me it seems just two trains can fit side by side in that tunnel.

From GO's GTS website:
A rail tunnel will be built under Hwy 401 in a future phase of the project once an additional track is needed in the Corridor to meet future ridership demands.

http://www.gotransit.com/gts/en/project/default.aspx

The VIA train has British MK3 cars with an incorrect paint scheme (Renaissance cars are MK4).

Nitpick: The Ren cars are not Mk 4 cars. The Mk 4 cars were built with a very tapered profile to allow for tilting mechanisms to be retrofitted, whereas the Rennaissance/Nightstar cars were not. If you want to call them "based on-",the BREL-designed Class 442s or 158s are more correct.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back