News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.5K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Thanks everyone.

Hey when they torn this sucka down they probably said... it's ok, it's fake Roman...

By the time they tore it down, I'm pretty sure it had lost its columns and pediment. I'll find the photo I'm thinking of when I get home :)

Jan 6 addition

Then: Wellington looking west from York

wellingtonwestfromyork1902.jpg

Further along in time...

ser71_s0071_it8407.jpg

Now:

DSCF0038.jpg

Last edited:
What a different world we inhabit where fireproofing is no longer a selling point. :)

The Hotel Victoria strikes me as a good candidate to be turned into something swanky, with a few fancy floors added atop.

I preferred Dickinson's building before it was re-clad, somewhat dowdy though it was.

The Hotel Victoria strikes me as a good candidate to be turned into something swanky, with a few fancy floors added atop.

Though wasn't it already reclaimed from the realm of the dingy a couple of decades ago? I mean, why swankify now; it seems solid, well-run, and untawdry for what it is. It's a shame Toronto doesn't have more Hotel Victorias, in fact.

Rather than swankifying the Victoria, I'd suggest a Victoriesque renewal of the Strathcona by stripping the siding and restoring some semblance of meat-and-potatoes 50s chic.

An unsung urban landmark is the old milk-bottles-and-cat sign in the Victoria's back alley (though it's been "tagged")

Jan 8 addition

Thanks TKTKTK... "Moshers", the sign says; I wonder what the dealey was there?

Melinda and Bay.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it8908.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

A typical scene of the Fifties: Workers busily disfiguring (or demolishing) another handsome old building.

Looks like they're removing the pediment above the clock; supposing some engineer said it was in danger of coming down; same for the lintel (izzat the right word?) above the 4th floor windows.

Back