683     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.7K     0 

Vancouver | The Wohlsein | 21m | Jameson Development | IBI DAA

flar

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Durand Neighbourhood

Durand comprises over 40 city blocks of beautiful homes. This neighbourhood is situated at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment, just southwest of Downtown Hamilton. Many architectural styles can be seen among these late nineteenth and early twentieth century stately homes and mansions built by Hamilton's early captains of industry.

00006.jpg

100016.jpg

00061.jpg

00022.jpg

00093.jpg

00102.jpg

100102.jpg

00090.jpg

00015.jpg

00028.jpg

036.jpg

00032.jpg

00040.jpg

00023.jpg

00046.jpg

00048.jpg

00050.jpg

00060.jpg

00024.jpg

00042.jpg

00033.jpg

00017.jpg

00077.jpg

00078.jpg

00079.jpg

00030.jpg

00043.jpg

00059.jpg

00065.jpg

00067.jpg

00068.jpg

00070.jpg

00083.jpg

00085.jpg

00096.jpg

00086.jpg

00098.jpg

100083.jpg

100099.jpg

100074.jpg

100069.jpg

100071.jpg

100063.jpg

100056.jpg

00103.jpg

100050.jpg

00063.jpg

00064.jpg

00091.jpg

00029.jpg

00037.jpg

00045.jpg

00058.jpg

00062.jpg

00066.jpg

00081.jpg

00094.jpg

00088.jpg

100040.jpg

100065.jpg

00074.jpg

100078.jpg

00099.jpg

00101.jpg

00087.jpg

00085-1.jpg

00064-1.jpg

00058-1.jpg

00057.jpg

00049.jpg

00048-1.jpg

00046-1.jpg

00042-1.jpg

00041.jpg

00039.jpg

00034.jpg

00031.jpg

00027.jpg

00019.jpg

00013.jpg

00006-1.jpg

00002.jpg
part2.jpg

Possibly Hamilton's nicest neighbourhood, with plenty of elegant old houses which have survived in good shape in spite of the temptation during earlier years to tear them down in favour of slab high-rises.

This is what the northern part of Durand looks like, so I'm guessing more than a few nice houses were torn down. You can see one lone house (bottom left) among these apartments:
100033.jpg

Yes, that last pic nicely demonstrates modern progress. :(

What a beautiful neighbourhood; I had no idea such a place existed in Hamilton. How much do those houses go for?

They're all out of my price range, but relatively cheap for houses of this quality. The one in the second pic is for sale for $1.9 million. There's a cute little stone house on Aberdeen (I didn't photograph it) for $798,000. The white, modern, square house recently sold for over $600,000. Some of the "smaller" Victorians might be had for around $500,000, but there's not much for sale in Durand. A unit in Sandyford Place (below) is only $339,000.
00103.jpg

I could live there, and prices are quite reasonable for the quality of the stock.

Much of Durand is even walkable to the GO Train - all you need is all day service. The only issue is that there's not much in the way of shopping in the area, like a good grocery store (the closest must be Fortino's at Dundurn and Main, unless I'm mistaken). I like being able to use only my own two feet to do at least my day-to-day shopping.

Aberdeen is such a lovely street. I've only been in a couple of houses there but one of them - the rambling home of a former Dean of Atkinson College and his wife - was gorgeous in a relaxed, rumpled, old world sort of way, as were the owners.

Durand-Quite a neighborhood!!!

Flar: Great pix of the Durand neighborhood! Compared to North Hamilton it is literally night and day in comparison. There is some just stunning housing stock there-those brownstones like in your post#5 look like they could be right out of NYC! Hamilton has always fascinated me-especially with neighborhoods like Durand! LI MIKE

These pics are making me want to explore Hamilton much more thoroughly...

Hope you don't mind me posting this here flar, it seemed like the appropriate place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Secret's Out
We can see why the cool kids are moving to Hamilton: it's got sublime architecture, an arts scene--and those prices

Scott Weir, National Post
Published: Saturday, November 15, 2008

Any Torontonian who has explored Hamilton is faced with a challenge -- how to communicate the beauty and interest of that city in a way that will be convincing to friends back in Toronto, whose only experience of Hamilton has been gazing down on Stelco on their way from their glass penthouse to a wine tasting on the Bench. That single view from the Skyway Bridge conjures up visions of hell and has closed many minds.

Should drivers have borne left and remained on Highway 403 for two further interchanges, York Boulevard would have led them by Dundurn Castle, among the most magnificent Regency estates in the country. Around Aberdeen Avenue, the Durand district is Ontario's answer to Montreal's Westmount, a neighbourhood of stone villas and Georgian rows climbing the slope of the mountain. And if you peered beyond the Stelco smokestacks from your perch upon the bridge, you would find the 270 Sherman Creative Industries Complex, a conversion of the beautiful brick Imperial Cotton Factory into artist and creative industries studios (think Distillery District). East of the downtown core, Gage Park's towering copper beeches and sunken gardens by Dunington-Grubb create a landscape unmatched within urban Toronto.

This is the challenge and the opportunity of Hamilton -- the city is one of sharp contrasts, with a legacy of beautiful neighbourhoods; refined architecture; spectacular settings and grounded, friendly people; combined with brownfields, the misguided demolition of architectural wonders and urban decay. The great thing is that the city is undergoing a rebirth.

The challenges are obvious. While Hamilton's core is one of beautiful neighbourhoods, magnificent architecture and grand civic monuments, the late 20th century saw the city centre slump into decay. But it is obvious that Hamilton once was a town with great civic pride. The First Nations name for Hamilton was Macassa Bay, meaning beautiful water, and the earliest version of the current city was a lake-side masterpiece of planning and monuments. Though neglected, Gore Park is among Canada's great urban squares, with its towering cast iron fountain, elegant buildings and human scale. The under-appreciated City Hall is a masterpiece, one of the most beautifully executed modernist buildings in Canada. But Hamilton's architectural refinement remains for the most part remarkably unknown outside of movie-industry locations managers (a phenomenal resource untapped by the city's branding machine) and often at risk of demolition.

In challenging times for real estate, the big great hope for successful investing involves finding forces that will affect the future desirability of a neighbourhood. Hamilton's secret right now is the recently unveiled $50-billion Metrolinx light rail transit plan proposed to criss-cross the GTA, including Hamilton. If constructed, it would make Hamilton a more comfortable commute from downtown Toronto, and itself easy to traverse by high-speed public transit. Financial incentives such as funding for business improvement areas, heritage and residential grant and interest-free loan programs, and tax incentives geared toward individual homeowners and developers investing in the core are also having an impact on downtown's recovery.

And the prices are cheap. Like any house on the perimeter of the GTA, the values are lower than in our central city. But Hamilton is different from the Markhams and Mississaugas: Hamilton's historic urbanity is appealing to those who would not consider living anywhere but downtown. There is a burgeoning urban culture with a vibrant arts scene, good restaurants and walkable neighbourhoods. Unlike Richmond Hill, Hamilton is beginning to house the cool kids starting out who are finding themselves shifting out of the Toronto urban market. As our city converts more of its core into 500-square-foot condos, housing singles and childless couples who will never be able to throw a dinner party at home, Hamilton has become a viable option for artists, families and urban renovators wanting to sink their teeth into some affordable architectural grandeur.

A scan of the listings reveals a spread of interesting spaces in both up-and-coming and established neighbourhoods, priced well below the Toronto market. Restored large detached Victorians in the beautiful Durand district near the GO station and Locke Street's restaurant strip can be had for $350,000. Some unique gems have no equals anywhere; a 3,200-sq.-ft. unit of Inglewood, the moody neo-Gothic 1850 stone pile designed by William Thomas (architect of St. Lawrence Hall in Toronto) with elaborate plasterwork, carved woodwork, marble fireplaces and leafy views is currently listed at $479,000. Neighbouring stone palaces can reach $1.7-million.

North of the city centre toward the waterfront marinas are the relatively undiscovered Georgian rows that for the most part are ready for an overhaul. Here, beautiful large brick detached houses of Cabbagetown scale are listed at around $150,000, while others are under $100,000. Around Gage Park are solid Edwardians that benefit from a lush tree canopy, quiet boulevards and close proximity to astounding parks. The large houses here list around $350,000 but the majority can be had for $200,000.

Whether we realize it or not, Hamilton has new relevance for us in Toronto. Here, we have largely abandoned the ability to house and foster artists and musicians. The cheap warehouse spaces required to generate the creative process are now condo lofts, and the costs associated with living within the urban core are unreachable by those who have not yet made it. Artists are discovering that post-industrial Hamilton is an affordable toolbox of functional warehouse spaces and storefronts, as Toronto's downtown fills with bankers and lawyers.

Ultimately the question arises: Will your little Chadwick have the daylights beaten out of him in Steeltown because of his ground-breaking Yorkville haircut? Perhaps, but more likely you will find yourself enveloped in an Upper Canadian graciousness and hospitality that is very evident in the city. In addition, you might discover how splendid life can be when a mere single income is required to pay the mortgage. - For a reading of the city's tone, visit raisethehammer.org.-Scott Weir is an associate with ERA Architects and has consulted on conservation work in Hamilton.

Hope you don't mind me posting this here flar, it seemed like the appropriate place.

Not at all, I saw this article yesterday. Good publicity for Hamilton. As many of my photo threads show, the residential architecture in Hamilton's lower city is second to none. More and more people are discovering it too.

Some things were overstated in that article. Toronto still has quite a few areas where some cheap retail can be found, along with warehouse space. Artists are only now finding Bloor and Lansdowne, and it's on a subway line in Toronto. If it's out of downtown, so be it. It's still in Toronto, where the market is larger.

Flar noted that smaller Victorians can be had for $500,000, not $350,000 as noted in the article. I couldn't believe that you could get a restored Victorian in the most prestigious area of the city for that price. Just the restoration can be incredibly costly.

But overall, the enthusiasm for Hamilton is contagious. There are many architectural gems, and the Niagara Escarpment produces some neighbourhoods which are unique to the city. The smaller cities in Canada like Hamilton ought vibrant and gentrified downtown cores as well.

^^yes, the 350k houses are further west, in the Kirkendall and Chedoke Park areas and they are mostly early 20th Century Edwardian rather than Victorian (see this thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7961). The nice Victorians in desirable neighbourhoods for low prices are east of Durand in Corktown and Stinson.

EDIT: Actually, there are some smaller Victorians in the north part of Durand among highrise apartments that could be had for 350K:

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

Last edited:

Back