Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

The station design shown appears to one the ones along Eglinton. It is good that the stations are than just regular bus shelters and that have bus layover lands to let buses bypass each other, which is very important for mixed GO and MT operations.

I hope though that the double deckers will be able to fit under those tunnels.

Mississauga just mailed out its Fall 2008 BRT Newsletter complete with station design concept:

brt-station.png

Nothing new. Those are the exact same pictures they showed at the BRT meetings last spring.

Instead of an ordinary BRT, how about a guided BRT? A guided BRT is a trolleybus or diesel bus but can on a right-of-way it is guided. Click on this link for a better explanation.

A video of the guided BRT can be seen on this link and at this link.

Consideration should also be shown towards duel buses (electric and diesel). Check this video at this link for a look see.

One problem with the guided BRT is that electric heating has to be in the pavement in the open sections to prevent snow problems.

There's no need for guided BRT in a wasteland like a hydrofield or highway corridor. It would be pure gadgetbahn.

The Montreal Metro, rubber tired and using concrete guides (with steel tracks for electric current and as a back-up) is a guided busway. The entire route must be underground as snow and guided transit don't mix.

I don't get it, what is the benefit of a "guided busway"? It still has to have a driver, so it has no labor savings. It is the same size as a normal bus, so it has no increase in capacity. As far as I see it, it is just another thing to go wrong.

^guided = rails = WK Lis automatically likes it.

---

Good to see this project moving along pretty swiftly. I am especially encouraged at the provisions for passing lanes for express buses, something that you could not achieve with 2-track LRT.

did anyone go to the public information nights over the past week?
any new news to speak of?

The current ramp off Hurontario to Rathburn is now going to connect with City View. Not sure if there will be left hand turning there or not and if so too close.

Buses using the the BRT will enter or exit off Rathburn just past Hurontarion Street Bridge.

2 elevators for each station and plans are still been look at putting ramps in place of elevators that I have call for since day one.

I am waiting for the board to go up to check some new numbers that have surface that caught my eye.

Standard station at Renforth with provision to connect to the Eglinton line.

Winston Churchill station has be redesign.

^guided = rails = WK Lis automatically likes it.

---

Good to see this project moving along pretty swiftly. I am especially encouraged at the provisions for passing lanes for express buses, something that you could not achieve with 2-track LRT.

The same thing can be done for LRT and that no big deal. You can run Buses on the same ROW for LRT.

Stupid Stupid Stupid...

I brought this up at the last meeting and they pretty much avoided the question altogether. They should have tried to consult with the TTC for this station to make the transfer from the Eglinton LRT to the Mississauga BRT as seamless as possible. Using the standard station means the provision will most likely just be a walkway to the LRT station that will operate seperately from the BRT station.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current ramp off Hurontario to Rathburn is now going to connect with City View. Not sure if there will be left hand turning there or not and if so too close.

Buses using the the BRT will enter or exit off Rathburn just past Hurontarion Street Bridge.

2 elevators for each station and plans are still been look at putting ramps in place of elevators that I have call for since day one.

I am waiting for the board to go up to check some new numbers that have surface that caught my eye.

Winston Churchill station has be redesign.

I'm not aware of any streets named "City View" in the MCC. There's a "City Centre Dr" and a "Centre View Dr" though ;)

Mississauga News

Escalating BRT costs putting City in the hole

Joseph Chin
November 18, 2008 03:00 PM

There isn't a shovel in the ground as yet, but the Mississauga Bus Rapid Transit is already significantly running over budget.

Total project costs are currently estimated at $326 million — reflecting a $67-million (22 per cent) increase over the $259 million committed by the governments of Canada and Ontario, GO Transit and the City of Mississauga. The City will ask Queen's Park and/or Ottawa for the additional funds. The issue will be discussed at tomorrow's general committee meeting. City staff blames increased costs for building bridges, retaining walls and relocating major oil and gas pipelines for the overrun.

"The significant cost escalation pressures ... has proved challenging in the development of the project," said BRT director Geoff Wright, in a corporate report.

So far, 30 per cent of the preliminary design has been completed. In a bid to keep costs down, five of 21 new bridges have been eliminated, among other measures.

"It is important to note that the increase in project costs is not associated with an increase in project scope," Wright pointed out.

The BRT project will see the creation of a dedicated east-west busway across Mississauga that will run along Hwy. 403, Eastgate Pkwy. and Eglinton Ave. corridors, connecting Winston Churchill Blvd. in the west to Renforth Dr. in the east.

Once operational, the BRT will connect with local bus service, GO Transit and the TTC subway, linking high-development and employment centres across Mississauga. The BRT is expected to be up and running by 2012. A GO study estimates that in five years the Mississauga portion of the BRT network could attract nearly 10,000 passengers an hour in the peak direction during rush hours.

Together with the BRT, Mississauga Transit will introduce over the next five years a series of higher-order routes that have similar features to BRT, such as limited stops, higher frequencies and transit priority treatments at key intersections.

Currently, Mississauga Transit provides 29 million rides annually, and officials hope to increase that figure by 25 per cent in the next five years.

Mississauga News

Escalating BRT costs putting City in the hole

Joseph Chin
November 18, 2008 03:00 PM

There isn't a shovel in the ground as yet, but the Mississauga Bus Rapid Transit is already significantly running over budget.

Total project costs are currently estimated at $326 million — reflecting a $67-million (22 per cent) increase over the $259 million committed by the governments of Canada and Ontario, GO Transit and the City of Mississauga. The City will ask Queen's Park and/or Ottawa for the additional funds. The issue will be discussed at tomorrow's general committee meeting. City staff blames increased costs for building bridges, retaining walls and relocating major oil and gas pipelines for the overrun.

"The significant cost escalation pressures ... has proved challenging in the development of the project," said BRT director Geoff Wright, in a corporate report.

So far, 30 per cent of the preliminary design has been completed. In a bid to keep costs down, five of 21 new bridges have been eliminated, among other measures.

"It is important to note that the increase in project costs is not associated with an increase in project scope," Wright pointed out.

The BRT project will see the creation of a dedicated east-west busway across Mississauga that will run along Hwy. 403, Eastgate Pkwy. and Eglinton Ave. corridors, connecting Winston Churchill Blvd. in the west to Renforth Dr. in the east.

Once operational, the BRT will connect with local bus service, GO Transit and the TTC subway, linking high-development and employment centres across Mississauga. The BRT is expected to be up and running by 2012. A GO study estimates that in five years the Mississauga portion of the BRT network could attract nearly 10,000 passengers an hour in the peak direction during rush hours.

Together with the BRT, Mississauga Transit will introduce over the next five years a series of higher-order routes that have similar features to BRT, such as limited stops, higher frequencies and transit priority treatments at key intersections.

Currently, Mississauga Transit provides 29 million rides annually, and officials hope to increase that figure by 25 per cent in the next five years.

Listening to the presentation, all I could say I told you so back in 2004 it was going to cost over $400 million for the full system as well ridership would not be close to the numbers from Renforth.

Well the 110 from Clarkson to the airport show on this BRT, plans are underway to scrap 110 from Clarkson. It looks like they added a 100 on Mavis now to service Kipling.

80% of the land is own by the province and they are charging transit systems to use this land and that cost is not in the current budget cost.

Unless the BDO building next to Rathburn and Hurontario that only went up in the last 10 years comes down, I don't know how they plan on putting the ROW between it and Hurontario so buses can use Rathburn to get to/from Sq One.

It is quite clear LRT's will never use this BRT and that sad.

If council and the project manger for the BRT think prices are going to fall because oil price are down now to get a lower price when tenders go out in summer of 2009, they are badly mistaken.

The only way Mississauga can get to the 25% by 2011, is to put more service on the road with longer hours of service as well making some trips faster. If you throw GO in, you may reach 25%.

In some way I will be surprise if this BRT opens in Dec 2012 as plan.

Back