News   May 09, 2024
 533     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 832     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 555     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

^ There you go.....correct and accurate details on the stadium restrictions/needs.

Also agree with the "why would USA co-host with us" question and the fact that we are not (and not likely to ever) in possession of enough world cup quality stadiums to host alone.

The only thing I question is the FIFA doesn't allow co-hosting anymore......I only question it because I have never read anything that said that. Since Korea/Japan, you are correct they have not had a co-host situation but I did not know that they had specifically ruled it out.

UEFA seems very fond of it!!

It was announced back in 2004, the closest I could find to news about it is this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3586349.stm but there's bound to be an actual press release somewhere.

I don't know why the BBC says the Japan/Korea Cup was a success because there were a lot of issues with it.

As for UEFA, ya they're very fond of it just because it allows smaller countries to host and it tends to improve their football infrastructure. Although they're running into issues with 2012 in Poland/Ukraine. UEFA also makes tons of money off of the Champions League so to host the European Championships in second or even third tier countries isn't as big of a deal.

I think Canada's best hope for hosting any sort of international tournament just came and went last summer with the under 20s. That's about as much as we can sustain.

Not Madrid....with 2012 in London....doubt that 2016 will be in Europe.

And the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, I doubt they would have 3 consecutive games in Europe. Good point. The current shortlist for the 2016 Olympics, ordered on the IOC's preliminary technical assessment:
Tokyo - 8.3/10
Madird - 8.1/10
Chicago - 7.1/10
Rio de Janeiro - 6.4/10

Baku (wtf?), Prague and Doha were disqualified. Technically, Madrid would be very capable of handling the Olympics ditto for Tokyo. The problem (from our perspective) is Madrid being canceled out by Athens/London/Sochi and Tokyo being canceled out by Beijing. That would leave Rio & Chicago, in which Chicago would have structural advantages over Rio. I think Tokyo should still win handily though, given that it already has 90% of the infrastructure in place (from the '64 games and the recent World Cup). The plans I have seen so far just call for a few high rise housing complexes (Olympic Village) and a new stadium on reclaimed land in Tokyo Bay. Madrid has by far the best Olympic Logo I have seen so far though:
Madrid2016.png
Tokyo_2016.png
200px-Rio_de_Janeiro_2016_Summer_Olympics_bid_logo.svg.png
Chicago_2016_Candidate_City.png

I don't know why the BBC says the Japan/Korea Cup was a success because there were a lot of issues with it.

What issues? All I can remember was the tension between the two nations after the forced marriage was initially announced. Even that was primarily (legitimate) bitterness on the part of Japan because Korea essentially pulled an end run around a poor technical report and used the Havelange-UEFA dispute to propse a face-saving co-hosting scheme.

However, once the lingering bitterness was quickly resolved, the crowds were strong, the facilities were excellent, and movement between the two nations was minimal: only 8 teams after the round robin and then from the semi-finals to final. Even that movement involved flights of about an hour.

What were the issues that you remember at the time?

With all of the attention over the de-centralization of the "Golden Horseshoe" games, I wonder how long they can get away with avoiding actual details of venues and locations.

If they do eventually live up to their promise to hold the games across the entire region, it may not be the preparation for the Olympics that many expect since the IOC has been actively encouraging the host cities to place venues in as compact an area as possible.

I'll be fucking pissed if Hamilton is given Athletics over Toronto. It seems like they're putting up a big stink about getting the brand new Pan Am Stadium.

I'll be fucking pissed if Hamilton is given Athletics over Toronto. It seems like they're putting up a big stink about getting the brand new Pan Am Stadium.

Why would Toronto need another stadium at this point? A facility for the Pan-Ams is not going to be nearly large enough to act as an Olympic Stadium or an NFL stadium. Instead it would be another facility of 20,000 - 50,000 seats (i.e. BMO Field or the Roger's Centre).

OTOH, Hamilton is in desperate need of a new stadium for the Tiger Cats; as was planned when they bid for the Commonwealth Games. The stadium would serve a far more beneficial long-term purpose in steeltown.

http://www.thestar.com/article/516271

Pan Am games bid kickoff 'hit right notes'

Happy with official pitch in Mexico, organizers look to nitty gritty of picking GTA venues
Oct 12, 2008 04:30 AM

Vanessa Lu
City Hall Bureau Chief

ACAPULCO, Mexico–Now the real work begins.

After formally throwing Toronto's hat into the ring to host the 2015 Pan American Games, organizers have less than a year to bring home the big prize.

"I think we represented Toronto well. I think we hit the right notes. We weren't over the top; on the other hand, we were not modest," Premier Dalton McGuinty said yesterday in an interview before heading home. "I'm feeling good about this."

He made the official presentation Friday at the general assembly of the Pan American Sports Organization, accompanied by well-known athletes like runner Charmaine Crooks, a five-time Olympian, and rhythmic gymnast Alexandra Orlando, who won three gold medals at the Pan Am Games in Rio de Janeiro last year.

Toronto is competing against Bogota, Colombia, and Lima, Peru, to host the games that take place every four years and are open to athletes from 42 countries in the Americas and the Caribbean.

Caracas, Venezuela, has pulled out of the race.

Toronto's organizers have already begun to woo voters for the bid that will be decided next summer or fall by secret ballot at a meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico.

While it is being touted as a Toronto bid here, it is being sold as a Golden Horseshoe bid at home with a dozen municipalities on board.

Organizers acknowledge the biggest challenge will be trying to please every municipality that wants a piece of the action.

"We'll work with the communities. We will try to make these intelligent decisions that best serve all concerned," McGuinty said. "Just because you don't end up with a particular facility in your community does not mean we are not going to benefit as a region from that."

Former premier David Peterson, bid chairman, acknowledges it will be a delicate balancing act.

"It must be fair and seen to be fair," Peterson said. "There are a lot of people with high expectations. I can guarantee you that some of the expectations will not be fulfilled.

"Some people are going to end up mad at me. There will be disappointment."

A board of directors, which would determine the evaluation process, is being finalized. It will include sports and business leaders from across the region.

The cost of the $1.77 billion games would be shared by cities, the province and the federal government. Ottawa has committed up to $500 million, while Queen's Park has promised to cover any cost overruns.

Municipalities seeking a venue will need to share in the capital costs plus ensure they can pay for their continual use after the games.

Peterson acknowledged some venues will have natural winners such as rowing in St. Catharines, but others will not be so clear.

Markham has been working to get a Canadian Sports Institute that would serve as a competitive training centre including aquatics, so the 2015 games would fit in perfectly, said Mayor Frank Scarpitti last week in Toronto.

Burlington Mayor Cam Jackson touts his city for soccer, field hockey and badminton.

"There's enough to go around to everybody," Jackson said last week. But there are already rumblings that Hamilton, eager to win the games as a way to refurbish the aging Ivor Wynne Stadium, is worried that it will lose out to Toronto.

Link to UT thread on the Canadian Sports Institute (Markham)

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=10541

I'm still not sold on the games (because of its decentralized nature), but the logo, video and website are very well done. I noticed that they used the Obama font (Gotham). :)

If it is going to be so decentralized, I'd rather have most of the non-Toronto events in Hamilton. Then a frequent Hogtown to Hamtown train would seal the deal for me.

If this is being billed as an opportunity to build up a venue base for a future Olympic build, all these venues built in far-flung suburbs and even separate CMAs will not be a waste, as no successful Olympic bid could be based on such ridiculously far-flung venues.

If this is being billed as an opportunity to build up a venue base for a future Olympic build, all these venues built in far-flung suburbs and even separate CMAs will not be a waste, as no successful Olympic bid could be based on such ridiculously far-flung venues.

I found this on GamesBids:
The proposed venues have not been officially announced but when GamesBids.com asked Peterson whether his bid committee would focus on spreading venues across the region where they are being demanded or coming up with a compact winnable bid, he answered "we want to win the bid."
I guess it's not like politicians don't lie, but at least we are off to the right start.

Yea I really don't understand this maybe someone can shed some light.

Have other Pan Am games been spread across such a large distance? Does it make any sense logically whatsoever?
There is some talk about venues in Hamilton ... please tell me that is a joke!

I can buy the facility they are planning to build in Markham but any further north doesn't really make any sense at all does it?

The comment in one of the articles "there is enough to go around for everyone" really perplexes me the most in particular.

Moreover to date I haven't heard anything planed for Toronto it self.

The whole thing seems kinda iffy to me now.

I think the logo is a subliminal (sp?) message that the Air Canada Centre is going to the be the centre of the games.....isn't that just a depiction of the rusty art outside the ACC?

Back