Toronto Printing Factory Lofts | ?m | 8s | Averton | Montgomery Sisam

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Demolition has begun. All pictures taken from Boston Ave. It seems that the sawtooth windows on the north and south flanks of the building will be completely replaced by new ones. It is likely the the ones currently standing will be as well. There are only two floors of underground parking, so there shouldn't be too much digging to do.

2121683420_d0d953d1f0.jpg

2120944377_b38ebfb691.jpg

2120944387_6fd2b3b8f3.jpg

2120944397_fd36fbf8e3.jpg

I bought in this building too....

The "hopeful" occupancy date of December 2008 is looking pretty unlikely at this point!! Nevertheless, I am excited to be part of such an up-and-coming area.

A newsletter from the builder noted that the "crane will be in place in days".

Occupancy dates for original loft units are "late spring 2009 followed by the tower suites later in the fall".

Original closing date was February 2009.

They also mention that the roof is being contructed off site. I'm guessing this refers to the sawtooth style windows for the original lofts.

Crane Installation

Here's a photo of what looks like the tower crane base being delivered this morning (Wednesday). Earlier this week, a truckload of rebar was delivered which may be destined for crane tower's concrete base.

Attachments

• IMG00061.jpg
    IMG00061.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 439
Progress is being made on the foundation for the tower as well as the sawtooth skylight windows in the lofts portion of the building.

2917314178_b8199cc96e.jpg

2916463313_d52f1aa641.jpg

2916476759_c9f9f4e406.jpg

2917333282_4af2ed4911.jpg

Occupancy

My occupancy has been pushed back to August 31, 2009. Looks like they are finally getting going on the construction though.

All the framing for the Sawtooth lofts is now in place on the north side of the building and they have built up to what I assume is the 2nd level of the parking garage.

If anyone is looking for updates on the building, don't hesitate to message me. I live in a house on Boston Ave., almost directly across the street from the site.

There was a fire at the Printing Factory construction site today. Apparently, the propane heaters in the basement area (which are left on to cure the cement) came in contact with some wood supports and a small fire started. Boston Avenue (where I live) was evacuated as fire services were concerned about the thirty 100 pound propane tanks on the site exploding. Nice.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/569708

All is under control, only minor damage.

However as a homeowner who lives directly across the street from this site, I am less than impressed by the negligence of the construction crew that could have (but luckily didn't) destroy my house.

CP24 reported the fire at 41 Boston ave...near Coxwell and Queen :rolleyes:
They said TTC was being redirected to queen and boston(?) and that they were evacuating homes, working their way "up" to queen.

However as a homeowner who lives directly across the street from this site, I am less than impressed by the negligence of the construction crew that could have (but luckily didn't) destroy my house.

yikes! hard to sleep easy with those guys across the street.

This has to be the slowest construction project going on in the city. Any idea why?

In conversations with the developer (to schedule my finish selections) I was told that occupancy is happening starting late this summer. When I pressed as to how that could be considering the tower isn't up yet, I was told that the old building is already in the process of being finished, and that the tower will be up and the crane will be removed, at the end of March.

If that's the case, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to start occupancy at the end of the summer.

Considering that my original closing date was March 2009, if I can close by the end of this year, that isn't too bad of a delay in it's own right. Factor in the (seemingly) complex construction going on there, and making 2009 occupancy is pretty good! Frankly, I expected to be delayed at least a year, if not more, like at other places i've bought.

This has to be the slowest construction project going on in the city. Any idea why?

This project is actually proceeding quite quickly. Demolition and excavation started just over a year ago. The framing is complete on all the sawtooth lofts and the tower is starting to take shape. I live across the street and there are often between 20-30 workers on site. These guys seem to be working pretty fast.

I was told that occupancy is happening starting late this summer....the tower will be up and the crane will be removed, at the end of March.

I can't imagine any scenario where this would be remotely possible. The first floor of the tower is barely completed and although the framing on the lofts is complete, they haven't been closed in yet. The crane's around until June at least.

I can't imagine any scenario where this would be remotely possible. The first floor of the tower is barely completed and although the framing on the lofts is complete, they haven't been closed in yet. The crane's around until June at least.

hey, i'm just relaying the info I was told. I have no clue as to if it is technically possible or not. March did sound aggressive, but I guess my rose coloured glasses make me want to believe. Still, June isn't too bad!

Hey Hans,

I bought a unit in the original structure, and I don't see how it is possible that we can move in while the tower is still going up. Surely there has to be some sort of safety issues involved... I know that people move into to unfinished condo buildings all the time, but generally the construction is complete and the work still taking place is usually cosmetic, no? (Finishing hallways, common areas, that sort of thing.) I can't see how they can move us in if the tower portion (which sits in the middle and therefore is adjacent to everyone else's unit) is still a hardhat zone, or they are installing giant plates of glass 8 floors up and a few feet accross from our terraces. Anyone have any insight into how a project like this handles move-ins?

Back