News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 470     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Montréal Transit Developments

Good grief. Do they always have to stop service for deicing?

I didn't think it had been as cold as usual in Montreal this winter.

Hopefully we get better tested equipment on the Ontario and Finch lines.

REM operator told to step up as it drops out of South Shore transit project​

"The group behind the REM has said that such a large public transit system is bound to have some issues after launching" --- large system??? This is only a short leg of four or five stations. What's going to happen when the full system opens??
The bigger news referenced by this article is that the CDPQi is shelving the South Shore REM project, where they would build a REM line on Taschereau running between Panama and Longeuil, and a bit beyond: https://lp.ca/9WPFAH?sharing=true

It looks like Montreal is back to the status quo of not getting anything built, and what seemed like a transit building renaissance with the REM was simply a fluke. Time for the ARTM to pick it up and spend a decade studying a tram that won't ever get built.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/2048245/tramway-est-montreal-rem-artm

The ARTM is now pushing for the east montreal tramway to replace REM de L'Est, which will now cost $10 BILLION DOLLARS

1707511207484.png

This map is just depressing to look at, this is the same cost as the initial estimate for REM de L'Est, whilst also being significantly worse.

The only thing it has over the original REM East is that it has better station density.
Otherwise its shorter. Is not grade separated. More expensive to run (drivers). The trains will need to be longer to handle the same capacity.

The original plan was also 10B but was completely elevated and a third of it was tunneled...

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/2048245/tramway-est-montreal-rem-artm

The ARTM is now pushing for the east montreal tramway to replace REM de L'Est, which will now cost $10 BILLION DOLLARS

View attachment 539488

This map is just depressing to look at, this is the same cost as the initial estimate for REM de L'Est, whilst also being significantly worse.

I haven't really spent any time in the east end of Montreal, so am only offering thoughts have looking at aerial and streetview maps; those of you more familiar w/the space can correct any misimpressions I may have.

1) The areas is question don't seem to be particularly high density, for the most part. Lacordaire has some density up around Jean Talon, but I'm unclear on whether the density, as it is today, justifies major rapid transit; as opposed to say BRT, or BRT-lite.

2) I'm not sure the Lacordaire 'line' and the Sherbrooke line, going perpendicular directions are linked as one. Is there a logical reason for this?

I'm just musing about whether or not it might not be better to:

1) First make sure that plans for these areas (land use/density) align w/the rapid transit vision.

2) To serve the Sherbrooke Corridor, if that's desired, why not just extend the green line, one station at a time, on a continuous build? That's a much more cost-effective way to construct.

3) What about using a 1-2 stop extension of the Blue Line to serve the area up Maurice Duplessis? Not sure if that's justified or sensible, but looking at this proposed alignment I get the sense of an awfully large investment relative to achievement.

I haven't really spent any time in the east end of Montreal, so am only offering thoughts have looking at aerial and streetview maps; those of you more familiar w/the space can correct any misimpressions I may have.

1) The areas is question don't seem to be particularly high density, for the most part. Lacordaire has some density up around Jean Talon, but I'm unclear on whether the density, as it is today, justifies major rapid transit; as opposed to say BRT, or BRT-lite.

2) I'm not sure the Lacordaire 'line' and the Sherbrooke line, going perpendicular directions are linked as one. Is there a logical reason for this?
The northern branch goes to Montreal-Nord, a current transit desert with significant demand. (this is a transit mode share map in 2021)
1707598522180.png

As for the interlining? Probably a relic of the now-dead REM de l'Est proposal.

I'm just musing about whether or not it might not be better to:

1) First make sure that plans for these areas (land use/density) align w/the rapid transit vision.

2) To serve the Sherbrooke Corridor, if that's desired, why not just extend the green line, one station at a time, on a continuous build? That's a much more cost-effective way to construct.
Have you looked at the cost of the Anjou Extension? $6.9 billion for five stations on the Blue Line. It's absolutely nuts. REM de l'Est was not going to be much more than that.

$10 billion for a grade separated metro or a shorter LRT. Even if demand is not balanced to capacity (which I doubt, given the short lengths of the trains and the high demand especially toward Montreal Nord), there's no question that the metro is a better deal.
3) What about using a 1-2 stop extension of the Blue Line to serve the area up Maurice Duplessis? Not sure if that's justified or sensible, but looking at this proposed alignment I get the sense of an awfully large investment relative to achievement.

Ah, the rail station, not the metro station.

Shame they don't implode that building on the old tracks east of their, and run into Windsor station (Bonaventure Metro) again.

End of life? What did the do, make the platforms from timber?
It was built as a temporary stop for trains, and afaik never made it a proper station. To this day its just a curb-height pavement sitting between tracks, without even proper weather protection.

First trains being tested in the North Shore. Two car trains will run between the Saint-Eustache maintenance center and the Sainte-Dorothée station from February 24 to March 3. (REM)

View attachment 543367

Images from Facebook:

View attachment 543363View attachment 543364View attachment 543365View attachment 543366

With testing underway, it's starting to look like even phase 2 of the REM (~50km) will open before line 5 Eglinton. Supposedly this phase, which finally restores the defunct D-M line, will be open before the end of the year.

Back