Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Have we seen any renders of the podium for this? I don't recall it. I just want to know before I have to go searching through 44 pages :p

I just noticed this timeline in the newsletter (on their site) posting here in case it was not done already:

MILESTONES

EXCAVATION COMPLETE
FALL 2008

CONSTRUCTION AT GROUND LEVEL
SUMMER 2009

CONSTRUCTION TOPS HOTEL
SPRING 2010

CONSTRUCTION TOPS RESIDENCES (FLOOR 49 )
WINTER 2010

CONSTRUCTION TOPS BUILDING
SUMMER 2011

some other interesting stats:

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE

As construction gets fully underway at Living Shangri-La Toronto we’ve compiled these facts and figures to illustrate the scale and complexity
of this major downtown development.

ESTIMATED MAN HOURS TO BUILD
1.35 MILLION

APPROXIMATE CONCRETE VOLUME
60,224 M3

ESTIMATED CONCRETE REINFORCING STEEL
7,000 TONNES

APPROXIMATE WEIGHT OF FOUNDATION AND FOOTING
100 TONNES

SQUARE FOOTAGE OF GLASS OR PANELS
40,120 M2

AVERAGE NUMBER OF WORKERS ON SITE

PEAK NUMBER OF WORKERS ON SITE

CUBIC METERS OF DIRT EXPECTED TO COME OUT EXCAVATION CAVITY
113,891 M3

DEPTH OF DIG
26 M

Personally I really like the look of this building. Maybe it's just the overly optimistic renderings but it looks tall, it stands out and its shiny.

CONSTRUCTION AT GROUND LEVEL
SUMMER 2009

OMG construction is taking so long on this one! (just previewing what we should be hearing in this thread constantly for the next 8 months).

September 24

From Simcoe looking southeast towards the corner of University and Adelaide.
2887639567_32ec751bd0_b.jpg

From University looking south towards Adelaide.
2887639577_3cdd724580_b.jpg

From University looking southwest towards Simcoe.
2887639587_c8d5d02aaa_b.jpg

Indeed, and it's catching up with Four Seasons. The race is on!

Ritz leans out a bit as it goes up. So what? Hardly iconic.

Every building cannot be iconic...A good city is made up of a high number of well designed "background" buildings, creating a foil for the odd icon to stand out. That said, the background buildings are often hidden gems, that do not hit you over the head or pop out in an immediate way, but are rather more nuanced. They should reveal themselves to you more slowly. Conservatism has its place, lest we end up like Shenzhen or one of those horrendous new cities where every new building is attempting to be an architectural star..

Conservatism has its place, lest we end up like Shenzhen or one of those horrendous new cities where every new building is attempting to be an architectural star.

Replace Shenzhen with "Dubai". Most people in Shenzhen (the factory workers) actually live in commie blocks or something similar.

Back