News   May 07, 2024
 529     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 471     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 930     3 

Canada and the World

We’ll need to add a passenger aircraft to the order.

Already underway.

Hong Kong activist Agnes Chow moves to Canada, says she plans to skip bail

One of Hong Kong’s most prominent pro-democracy activists, who was imprisoned in the wake of the 2019 Hong Kong protests, said on Sunday that she has left the city for Canada and plans to never return.

Agnes Chow, 27, became a face of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement after she helped establish the Demosisto political party in 2016 alongside other young activists Joshua Wong and Nathan Law. The group disbanded hours after Beijing passed a sweeping national security law in 2020 that put a chilling effect on political activism in the city, and has been criticized by western governments for stifling free expression and interfering with Hong Kong’s semi-autonomous status as a former British colony.

Chow was arrested in 2019 for allegedly inciting an unauthorized protest outside Hong Kong police headquarters. After the national security law was passed, she was arrested again during a mass crackdown that saw other pro-democracy figures detained, including businessman Jimmy Lai.

I agree with the sentiment of the article. But it's a stretch when using the CSC, one of the most advanced warships being built, as the example of defence policy failure.
I'm not sure I got that from the article. The Admiral said the plan is to launch initial ships with less vertical launch capability that he feels ideal, but it is either that or further delay. I suppose two things can happen: either add more during a future refit, or the technology changes.

He's not going as far as some who say that spending money on anything crewed will be a waste once they come online.

I'm not sure I got that from the article. The Admiral said the plan is to launch initial ships with less vertical launch capability that he feels ideal, but it is either that or further delay. I suppose two things can happen: either add more during a future refit, or the technology changes.

The program is being run in batches. The first batch may not have enough VLS cells for his liking but the next one probably will. This is fine. It's normal design practice in most navies.

He's not going as far as some who say that spending money on anything crewed will be a waste once they come online.

That's like people who say F-35s are a waste because of drones. You can't reason with that kind of ignorance.

I don't condone what Hamas did to start this war or what they believe.

What I also do not condone is Israel's superiority complex. Amongst all the discussions at the UN, Israel is telling the UN to stuff it and that they will not stop fighting.

It is coming to the point where Israel will be on it's own and left wondering why.

I don't condone what Hamas did to start this war or what they believe.

What I also do not condone is Israel's superiority complex. Amongst all the discussions at the UN, Israel is telling the UN to stuff it and that they will not stop fighting.

It is coming to the point where Israel will be on it's own and left wondering why.
I don't agree that it is any kind of superiority complex and I m sure that, if asked, they would say they are exercising their sovereign right to protect itself. Many of the UN members voting on these matters don't recognize Israel's right to exist. Russia has been ignoring the UN as well, so there's a lot of it going around.

Or perhaps they are recognizing the UN for what it is; a self-licking ice cream cone and an expensive one at that.

Edit: I forgot the last point. Israel has been all alone in its region since the moment it was created. They will continue to be supported by western democracies as they are the only half-assed democracy in the region.

Last edited:
I don't agree that it is any kind of superiority complex and I m sure that, if asked, they would say they are exercising their sovereign right to protect itself.
I'm sure that's exactly the propaganda they'd trot out. But even the US is pumping the brakes on Israel's plans to occupy Gaza for itself.

Reactions: T3G

Hong Kong activist Agnes Chow moves to Canada, says she plans to skip bail

One of Hong Kong’s most prominent pro-democracy activists, who was imprisoned in the wake of the 2019 Hong Kong protests, said on Sunday that she has left the city for Canada and plans to never return.
I just received an invite from the Canadian Consulate in Hong Kong to attend a trade mission in May 2024. I replied that while I have enjoyed my several previous business visits and trade missions to China, including accompanying PM Martin to China in 2006, I would not be visiting China again until the Canadian government lifts the travel advisory on China, including the risk of arbitrary detention. https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china#risk

But maybe I'm overly cautious. IDC, not going.

I'm sure that's exactly the propaganda they'd trot out. But even the US is pumping the brakes on Israel's plans to occupy Gaza for itself.
Ok, I'll bite. After the initial Hamas attack, what should have been Israel's response?

US foreign funding issues have as much, if not more, to do with internal politics.

Last edited:
I posted that video just to point out a rather unique Canadian angle. I sincerely doubt the Liberals wanted a shoutout from Hamas. Doesn't help with the domestic politics even if they believe that pushing for a ceasefire is the appropriate course of action.

I posted that video just to point out a rather unique Canadian angle. I sincerely doubt the Liberals wanted a shoutout from Hamas. Doesn't help with the domestic politics even if they believe that pushing for a ceasefire is the appropriate course of action.
If Canada wants to push for a ceasefire then Trudeau and Joly have to be able to answer when Netanyahu asks: "if we agree to a ceasefire now, before Hamas has been eliminated to our satisfaction; what will Canada commit to guaranteeing Israel's ongoing security risk from Gaza?"

In the past Canadian peacekeeping troops have deployed to the Golan Heights and the the Sinai Peninsula. Currently Canada reportedly has a SOP team in Israel, https://archive.is/5o6s4. Are we willing to send two thousand Blue Helmets to Gaza for the next twenty years?

Back