News   May 10, 2024
 839     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 973     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I never said irregular service...I just pointed out that even the midweek service might be useful to people coming downtown for events (such as the Jays game).

Take the last available morning train in, explore downtown a bit...head over for the 1:30 pitch.....3 hours later head home on the train......seems to me that there is always stuff going on downtown....seems silly to assume that only those on the Lakeshore line would want to train in for those things!

Just start by running exactly the same service on the limited service lines on weekends (gosh, even drop a couple of the trains if you think the frequencies are too croweded) it would still be way, way less service than the Lakeshore folks have but it would be something.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/502167

I would amend this headline to be:

Red Sox in town, Gardiner closed......only Lakeshore Commuters Can Avoid Road Chaos!!!

yeah I remember at Union Station and these two guys going on the Lakeshore line...

"You want to take the 4:35 or 4:42 train..."

"Lets take the 4:35, I do not want to wait 7 min"

everyone on the other lines sitting their waiting for 20-30 mins until the next train comes...

I'll say it yet again... Weston WANTS more trains going through their neighbourhood. They've asked for it. But what they want is for those trains to actually stop in their neighbourhood, and they don't want their community split in two by closing all local streets that cross the rail corridor (as was the original plan).

You seem well informed on this matter and I think I need to ask a question about some "talk" I heard.....if may or not be true but you may know the answer.

Did they not continue their opposition, though, after it was proposed that 2 of the 3 streets would not be cut in half? If they did that would indicate that they are not willing to compromise....lack of compromise for the "greater good" is one of the hallmarks of nimbyism (IMO).....maybe you could clear that up for me?

yeah I remember at Union Station and these two guys going on the Lakeshore line...

"You want to take the 4:35 or 4:42 train..."

"Lets take the 4:35, I do not want to wait 7 min"

everyone on the other lines sitting their waiting for 20-30 mins until the next train comes...

Or 3 days if it is after 6 on a Friday!!!!!

A co-worker of mine recently moved from Meadowvale to Oakville. It changed his train buddies. He could not believe how much his new Oakville buddies would rush to catch a certain train even though there was another one in a few minutes.....even at that, he said, all they did was complain that (paraphrase) "GO really has to improve this service".....from his perspective, aside from liking his new house, the move had taken a major stress out of his life......after a couple of weeks he gave up trying to convince them that they didn't have it too bad...now he complains (tongue in cheek) that they really need more service on the Lakeshore West line.

We are all guilty of thinking of our own problems first (heck, I probably sound like a broken record here about the service level to ">400k people Brampton") but the people on the Lakeshore lines, I think, really need to look beyond their own situation a bit and realize that there are other more pressing needs in the GO system than further expansion of service along the lake!

Did they not continue their opposition, though, after it was proposed that 2 of the 3 streets would not be cut in half? If they did that would indicate that they are not willing to compromise....lack of compromise for the "greater good" is one of the hallmarks of nimbyism (IMO).....maybe you could clear that up for me?

I think the problem is if you focus on one issue and think that the opposition all stems from only that one issue. Do people oppose the Island Airport just because of the increased traffic driving past the public school on Bathurst... or is that just one of a number of issues?

As I've written already in this thread, the revised plan sunk the GO Georgetown tracks to below grade, but left the CP tracks on the surface. No space was allotted for improvements or for more tracks to be added in the future, and there was still no plans for transit improvement for the people of Weston.

The "greater good" is improved transit for everyone, such as the residents of Brampton, Malton, Vaughan, and those Weston folk who face upwards of 90 minutes on the TTC to get downtown.

I think the problem is if you focus on one issue and think that the opposition all stems from only that one issue. Do people oppose the Island Airport just because of the increased traffic driving past the public school on Bathurst... or is that just one of a number of issues?

sorry you took it that way...it was just that that was the issue that you referenced in your previous post in their "defense". I just wanted to clear it up if I could. When the first plan came out and it blocked all 3 roads I think everyone had great empathy for the situation that would create for the people of Weston....it would cut off those residential streets from their very understimated town centre. I just never heard anyone ever say "well, now that you are proposing to give us access via 2 of the 3 roads, we can accept that....now let's get on to the other issues."

Was hoping you were going to say "yes, they can accept that compromise on that issue if all of the other issues were resolved"...that is compromise and that sort of compromise moves things forward. (IMO).

As I've written already in this thread, the revised plan sunk the GO Georgetown tracks to below grade, but left the CP tracks on the surface. No space was allotted for improvements or for more tracks to be added in the future, and there was still no plans for transit improvement for the people of Weston.

The "greater good" is improved transit for everyone, such as the residents of Brampton, Malton, Vaughan, and those Weston folk who face upwards of 90 minutes on the TTC to get downtown.

Trust me, I live further up that line and have been waiting for decades for the "grand plan" that would get the improved service. It hasn't come along. How I see this proposal was as an incremental improvement that could make more improvements in the future possible....but if it never gets off the MOE desk......we are left with what we have.

sorry you took it that way...it was just that that was the issue that you referenced in your previous post in their "defense". I just wanted to clear it up if I could. When the first plan came out and it blocked all 3 roads I think everyone had great empathy for the situation that would create for the people of Weston....it would cut off those residential streets from their very understimated town centre. I just never heard anyone ever say "well, now that you are proposing to give us access via 2 of the 3 roads, we can accept that....now let's get on to the other issues."

Was hoping you were going to say "yes, they can accept that compromise on that issue if all of the other issues were resolved"...that is compromise and that sort of compromise moves things forward. (IMO).

Ah. I haven't seen any talk about the closed streets issue from the Weston community folks since the revised proposal came out. None. So I would assume that yes, they were willing to settle for 2 out of 3.

But it's all moot now, because the other issues facing the project killed the EA.

Ah. I haven't seen any talk about the closed streets issue from the Weston community folks since the revised proposal came out. None. So I would assume that yes, they were willing to settle for 2 out of 3.

But it's all moot now, because the other issues facing the project killed the EA.

moot yes...but lets be clear, the issues did not kill the EA...they stalled the ToR for the EA ;)

moot yes...but lets be clear, the issues did not kill the EA...they stalled the ToR for the EA ;)

And it seems we'll have a better solution for it as part of the RTP instead of a stand-alone project. Sometimes blessings come in disguise as annoyances.

I'm referring to the original, SNC Lavalin-run EA which was killed.

Going through the archives, I can't find a reference to the closure of streets issue since 2005. If anyone thinks the issue is about the street closures, they're over 3 years out-of-date.

I'm referring to the original, SNC Lavalin-run EA which was killed.

Going through the archives, I can't find a reference to the closure of streets issue since 2005. If anyone thinks the issue is about the street closures, they're over 3 years out-of-date.

I am sure it is about much more than that....but, to be fair to the people that think that, the original opposition focused on that issue. I vaguely remember the articles in the Star with full colour pictures showing how this plan was going to split Weston in two.

It appears (to an outsider looking in) that the opposition grew to so much more after a compromise (that seemed reasonable) to the street closure issue was proposed.

Perhaps that is why the opposition appeared to be nimbyism to some....once a solution was proposed to what appeared to be the issue (probably was never "the" issue) a bunch of other issues were raised......just a thought.

GO trains are on the way

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:30 PM
570 News
GO transit is giving a partial green light to rail service between Kitchener and Georgetown by 2011.

The proposed plan would start with four daily trains.

GO would also look at adding hourly stops between Kitchener and Guelph at a later date.

The plans are still subject to input from the public and environmental approvals.

Cambridge resident Paul Langan with transport 2000 tells 570 News he favours a stop in Cambridge instead of Kitchener.

A public input session will be held tomorrow night in Kitchener at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church.

It runs from 6 until 9.

Wait they would not run from Kitchener to Union???

Back