Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

IMG_8997.JPG
IMG_8995.JPG
IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9008.JPG
IMG_9017.JPG

Interesting to see that roughly 50% of the parking spaces will only fit sedans. The auto market is quickly moving to SUVs so that may be a problem in a few years.
Good. we shouldn't be enabling more SUV use downtown. They take up space and kill people with shocking efficiency.

Good. we shouldn't be enabling more SUV use downtown. They take up space and kill people with shocking efficiency.
Oh I don't disagree - I'll be driving a sedan / hatchback / wagon as long as I can -It's just the reality of the market at this point and may end up giving the building some operational problems down the line. This building alone won't change the car market.

The luxury car market is luckily still more car and hatch/wagon focused being mostly european models, so that will hopefully help offset it a bit here.

Interesting to see that roughly 50% of the parking spaces will only fit sedans. The auto market is quickly moving to SUVs so that may be a problem in a few years.
Half of the visitor parking spots in my building are labeled “small cars only” but that has never stopped anybody from leaving their giant pickup truck there.

What retailer will now occupy the ground floor custom-designed for Apple? The only retailer that I can think of occupying the ground floor is Tesla. Let's hope this happens!

Tesla would be a terrible tenant, IMO. The appeal of Apple was that it would have been a big, lively, store, one that might have actually lived up to Mizrahi's dreams of this being an iconic location. A Tesla showroom would cater to such a smaller crowd, and the intersection is dead as it is with the loss of Nordstrom Rack and The Bay. After all this time you really just want to fill this space with cars and the odd person looking at them?

Tesla would be a terrible tenant, IMO. The appeal of Apple was that it would have been a big, lively, store, one that might have actually lived up to Mizrahi's dreams of this being an iconic location. A Tesla showroom would cater to such a smaller crowd, and the intersection is dead as it is with the loss of Nordstrom Rack and The Bay. After all this time you really just want to fill this space with cars and the odd person looking at them?
Totally agree. At this point they may need to demise the space as there are very few world class or even regional tenants able to absorb this size/rental cost. Maybe they can turn it into a 30K SF vaccination location for the 13th booster.

I just finished reading the front-page story on the site tour and this part jumped out at me:

"Mizrahi walked us through the ground floor retail space, outlining a number of highly specific and complex structural components that were designed multiple years ago and installed specifically at the request of the retailer who will no longer be occupying the space"

So, it looks like Apple will not be the anchor tenant which is sad on many levels. There is no doubt that the requirement by Apple to have a column-free high-ceiling "ICONIC" retail space at the corner of Yonge and Bloor resulted in the extremely costly design that massively increased the cost of construction and compromised the attractiveness of the residential portion of the tower by requiring owners of condo's costing upwards of $20 million to take an extra elevator ride up to a sky lobby before reaching their condo. I don't believe that the Penthouse has its own elevator. And now we learn that Apple has abandoned the project!

If not for the requirements of Apple this tower would have been topped out years ago! What retailer will now occupy the ground floor custom-designed for Apple? The only retailer that I can think of occupying the ground floor is Tesla. Let's hope this happens!

Overall, I was very glad to see that the project is proceeding full steam ahead and that Mizrahi is still involved. Sam has worked so hard to bring this project to its current state of completion and I hope he can reap the rewards when this tower tops out!
I'm no expert by any means, but, do they not design taller buildings using a split elevator system to help with the stack effect?

Back