News   May 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 558     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

So they? In my experience they don't seem to.
I have personally managed to bypass traffic by using the 404 HOV lanes a lot. Its worth mentioning a few things however, first just because some intersections might get backed up, doesn't mean the entire highway gets backed up. In the case of the 401 Express, tolling it might only congest a few Collectors exits, overall it would still be a massive increase in travel time (its just the last couple of km you'd need to wait in traffic for).

I think the 404 HOV design may actually work in some circumstances, where it actually has entry and exit 'ramps'. On the QEW they are woefully ineffective and cause a lot of crazy weaving. and dangerous maneuvers.

On balance, I am in favour of all highways functioning as designed, by tolling them. I am not interested in silly equity arguments about the working poor having to pay even more than the 8-10k it costs to operate a car per year to pay for tolls. Truly poor people don't own cars. We can dry our tears for these poor folks by using the revenues to actually address equity issues, like child poverty etc. And swell with happiness for all the people who will be properly incentivized to carpool at peak times or *gasp* use the functional GO Bus system to move around the region, now that those buses are not mired in a sea of single occupant vehicles. Our highways would move more people, at greater speed, and create much more economic value.

I think the 404 HOV design may actually work in some circumstances, where it actually has entry and exit 'ramps'. On the QEW they are woefully ineffective and cause a lot of crazy weaving. and dangerous maneuvers.

On balance, I am in favour of all highways functioning as designed, by tolling them. I am not interested in silly equity arguments about the working poor having to pay even more than the 8-10k it costs to operate a car per year to pay for tolls. Truly poor people don't own cars. We can dry our tears for these poor folks by using the revenues to actually address equity issues, like child poverty etc. And swell with happiness for all the people who will be properly incentivized to carpool at peak times or *gasp* use the functional GO Bus system to move around the region, now that those buses are not mired in a sea of single occupant vehicles. Our highways would move more people, at greater speed, and create much more economic value.
In the old days, everyone owned a horse, but only the rich owned a car. Now, it's the other way around. Why?

From link.

When horsepower was common, most people, in fact, did not own a horse. A farmer might have a draft horse, but more often he would have a mule or ox. If he was better off, he might have more than one mule or ox. Even most cowboys did not own their own horses. Ranches provided the horses, partly because there was too much work for a hand to get by with just one horse. Even a thrifty cowboy couldn’t afford to keep more than one horse.

People with more means might have a carriage horse or two. Livery stables were common. These were businesses that rented out horse-drawn carts and carriages. They also might have some riding horses to rent as well, but very few non-rich people actually rode horses if it wasn’t part of their job. Most people walked or took public transportation.

Cars in those days were luxury items. It wasn’t until mass production lowered the prices that cars became affordable to the masses. Most cars last longer and have less upkeep than horses. People who can’t buy new cars can get by with older-model used cars.

Now days horses are “luxury” items. However, you’ll find that the majority of horse owners are far from rich. While there are still working ranch and farm horses, most horses are used for recreation and sport. Whether or not a person can afford a horse depends mostly on where they live and their spending priorities. I have a horse, but my car is 18 years old (it runs fine) and I buy clothes only when my current ones wear out to the point where they can’t be repaired. I also live in an extremely rural area where hay is cheap and I can keep my horse on my own property.

While it’s true that cars are more common than horses now, it’s not true that you have to be rich to own a horse—or a car.

Last edited:
By that logic, HOV/HOT lanes would never work (which they obviously do)
How would you deal with the 427 interchange (where collector and express are combined)? I ride the 19 through there every week and that section would 100% be backed up.

The province is apparently making additional funding for the Stellantis Battery Plant in Windsor conditional on the Feds getting out of the way of the 413 construction.. some sly political moves there from the PCs. Guilbeault was getting in the way of the project, so the PCs go right over his head to the PM and economic ministers instead and make a political prize for the Feds conditional on the PC's key election promise.

Ontario keeping costs of Highway 413 hidden from public

Transport ministry estimates of how much it will cost taxpayers, and who will benefit, from building Highway 413 is being kept secret.

From link.

Opening-up thousands of acres of protected Greenbelt lands will be an $8 billion win for a small group of land developers close to government officials, says the provincial auditor general.
But the Greenbelt land carve-out isn’t the only mega land deal the Ford government is cooking-up.

At the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO), officials are in overdrive to kick-start building the 60-kilometer Highway 413 through much of the GTA’s last remaining nearby open countryside. And that means hefty cheques could soon be issued to the owners of well over 2,000 hectares of prime farmland along the highway’s path.

Government records show that many of those cheques may go to a select group of land speculators and property developers who’ve been buying up these lands in recent years, spurring a huge increase in land values along the highway corridor,

According to a January 2022 assessment for the MTO released under the provincial freedom of information law, “large developers have begun assembling parcels” all along the proposed highway corridor.
Amidst this speculative feeding frenzy, the “real estate pricing is highly volatile” along 413’s path, the assessment noted.

“The price of agricultural land through the corridor has gone up at a logarithmic scale,” explained Jim Dyment, a land cost consultant working for MTO, in a Jan. 28, 2022 email to officials that MTO released under the provincial freedom of information law.

But just how much MTO estimates these purchases will cost taxpayers and just which land speculators and property developers will get them, is something government lawyers are keeping secret.

Their reasoning? Because the Highway 413 construction cost estimates — including estimated property acquisition amounts — may have been discussed around Premier Doug Ford’s cabinet table, they qualify as state secrets and have been redacted from all information released under the freedom of information law.

That’s the message Dina Anderson, a lawyer for transportation minister Caroline Mulroney, recently sent to Ontario’s information and privacy commissioner in response to an appeal for greater government transparency about the cost of the 413.

When pressed further to justify the government’s wall of secrecy in the face of the clearly compelling public interest in knowing the size of the payout to developers, speculators and other landowners, Mulroney’s lawyers doubled down and insisted that the “compelling public interest” in knowing these costs cannot override cabinet secrecy.

And when pressed further to justify their secrecy, Mulroney’s lawyers said the details of their reasonings were, you guessed it, secret.

At this point, members of the public are forgiven for abandoning hope of puncturing the government’s obsessive secrecy. But the public has a right to know how much these land parcels will cost and who will be getting paid for them. And despite the MTO’s secretiveness, it’s still not unimaginable the public will find out.

With help from the information commissioner, in recent months the MTO has been compelled to lift the lid on a couple of key financial facts relating to the Highway 413 that it originally kept secret in its freedom of information releases.

After years of refusing to disclose any estimates for the highway’s construction costs, under pressure from the information commissioner, the MTO recently revealed that just one kilometre-long section of the highway spanning the Humber River could cost as much as $444 million.

And after years of refusing to release the cost figures for the ongoing 16-year environmental assessment of the highway, again under pressure from the information commissioner, the MTO recently revealed it has spent at least $36.5 million on the study.

As to the secrecy of the rest of the government’s cost estimates for the 413 — including the dollar figures on all those big cheques land speculators and developers are salivating over — it’s possible the information commissioner will now further step-up the fight for transparency.

Thanks to the huge attention the Greenbelt land scandal is attracting, the case of full disclosure regarding Highway 413 land costs seems to be growing more compelling by the day.

So, the 407E was about $4b same length, but this particular project is $8b?
They are surprisingly similar projects, actually. Both within 10km in length, both with 4-5 full freeway interchanges, similar number of lanes, construction standards, etc.

The Humber River bridge on the 413 will actually be the largest freeway bridge in the GTA, so I understand the $400 million quote for it. But even then, that seems a bit rich. It'll probably be about 1 kilometre long, which is longer than any other bridge in the GTA highway network I can think of by a pretty significant margin (Not including the Burlington Skyway).

I personally would expect construction costs for the 413 to come in around $6-7 billion from my understanding of how costs have changed in the industry over the last decade, but $8 is certainly not unreasonable. That's about $140 million per km, which given the complexity of the project, sounds about right. MTO is building the 400 extension for around $10-15 million per KM, but that doesn't have complex interchange structures like the 413 does, which is where the real costs are.

Last edited:
The developers for land around 413 include the Cortellucci, DeGasperis, Guglietti and De Meneghi families, John Di Poce, Benny Marotta, Argo Development and Fieldgate Homes.
From April, 2021 at this link.

Greater Toronto Area developer Silvio De Gasperis, head of Tacc Developments, along with Paradise Developments' Steven Weisz and Jack Eisenberger of Fieldgate Homes, purchased over 4.8 hectares at 411 Book Rd. W. for $2.8 million through their corporation, Book Shaver Developments Limited, CBC Hamilton found through corporate and property records.

The developers for Greenbelt listed in link.

Best to read both links.

Supreme Court of Canada just struck down the “Designated Projects” aspect of the Impact Assessment Act as unconstitutional in a 5-2 vote. The portions of the Act that pertain to Designated Projects were ruled to be going beyond what is considered federal jurisdiction. The IAA still remains valid for projects on federal land and outside of Canada.

This has major implications for HWY 413 since the project will no longer be designated under the IAA.

Last edited:

Back