Toronto Aria | ?m | 19s | Fernbrook Homes | Rafael + Bigauskas

I still don't get what's so bad about this? Looks like more thought was put into this than, say B/A or even Murano.

Depends what you mean by "thought"...

I mean, yes, it might not be *that* offensive unless you're absolutely phobic t/w pomo-retro schlock. But to use that kind of "more thought put into this" argument smacks a little too much of the kinds of mentalities who embrace the latter holus bolus...

This design does overpower, trying as hard as possible to make the point that this is supposed to be a rich person's building. The ornamentation fails to acknowledge any local high-rise style and it doesn't make an effort at originality. When you make historical references, get the materials right.

How do these architects even come up with the historical styles they're going to poorly recreate? What do French estates have to do with a higher density building in an area urbanized not even a century ago?

The ornamentation isn't there to make the architecture more meaningful, just to make it easier to sell the building to people unsure of what makes architecture great, to whom modernism isn't appealing because it's "simple" and associated with "poor". There are certainly other baseless perspectives on modernist architecture too.

Nov 20, 2008

picture.php

The crane should be going in soon!

I'm a little surprised at the fact that there is only one crane on this enormous site. From what I've been told they are going to build both phases at once as opposed to staggering them by a year as was originally planned.

My wife and I have a suite in phase I. I know most members here seem to hate this project but for us it was a good balance of price, location (proximity to amenities and work), finishing, builder reputation and suite layout.

Unfortunately, as was to be expected, we've already been given our first major delay. Occupancy was scheduled for October 2009 which we knew was impossible, and sure enough we just got a letter informing us of a delay to April 2010. Somehow I doubt even that date is realistic.

Not to wring on your parade ... but I think given the size (horizontal bulk) of Aria 1+2, it would take at least two years to complete (from crane installation)

for the record Professor, I am too one of the few on UT who also think this building is well designed :)

No worries Solaris, this is our third condo so we're quite used to the delays associated with building them. To be perfectly honest I'm expecting at least one more six month delay, putting occupancy at October 2010.

I passed by the site a couple of days ago and managed to snap a couple of poor quality pics using my Blackberry.

The first is taken looking east, the second looking southeast.

In my opinion they're moving at a snail's pace on this thing, though I don't know if it's because of the stage they're at and the weather we're having. Hopefully things will pick up.

I've also noticed that the concrete they have poured thus far is actually part of phase II, phase I is to be built where the current ramp leading into the pit is.

Attachments

• Aria.jpg
    Aria.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 331
  • Aria 2.jpg
    Aria 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 307
nonetheless ... Aria 1+2 is one HUGE site though ... so slower progress can be understandable ... thanks for the update Professor

March 10 2009 update

the bottom parking level (P2 or P3?) seems completed ~

IMG_3482-1.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

Back