Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Taken today:

IMG_9161.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

Great job with the photos Architecture fan, thanks a lot!

This shot above is great and I especially love the reflection of RBC's class colour on Simcoe Place. Makes for an interesting effect.

Sept. 1

North side

Hate to bring up comparisons with New York's Times Square, but with a streetwall like that on Wellington, and theatres on King, the public square between Roy Thompson Hall and Metro Hall is well on its way to being Toronto's next Times Square (apologies to Dundas Square).

One ersatz Times Square is quite enough for any city, I think. But it's true that this square could be wonderful, especially if the city sets about animating the square in front of Metro Hall. It's almost a pity, given the way this rectangle has turned out, that the CBC atrium opens onto Front Street instead of this one.

About the constant Times Square references, is it a case that people have no actual experience outside North America? Personally, I found very little about the actual layout, programming or context to suggest Times Square in either of these sites but if you have nothing else to compare this too I guess it is natural.

OK, I think I should have explained the comparison with Times Square a bit better. I was thinking that this is the most important public space in the Entertainment District, the way Times Square is in New York. RBC, Ritz-Carlton and the Entertainment District condo boom will put the square in the middle of an amazing high-rise cluster, something that Times Square also lays claim to.

I will reserve final judgement about whether this is an important public space when Ritz and RBC are finished but, for now, it's pretty much forgotten by the general public. People are really only out and about during lunch hours on weekdays. I didn't even know there was a public market there one day a week, and I used to work just around the corner.

Back