544     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 470     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 784     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Adidas to close at Yonge Dundas Square (The Tenor) - interesting discussion on who would be best for this location.

With Rogers at Atrium set to leave and Nordstrom on the other corner...the only remaining tenant is Shoppers Drug Mart (in the former Hard Rock Cafe location). H&M is a good tenant at CF TEC, as is Samsung... but what's in store for the central hub of the city?

Adidas to close at Yonge Dundas Square (The Tenor) - interesting discussion on who would be best for this location.

With Rogers at Atrium set to leave and Nordstrom on the other corner...the only remaining tenant is Shoppers Drug Mart (in the former Hard Rock Cafe location). H&M is a good tenant at CF TEC, as is Samsung... but what's in store for the central hub of the city?

*waits for cheesecake factory to open downtown* LOL

Sorry no picture but I noticed that Kotn is renovating a storefront on the north side of Queen East in Leslieville. Not sure exactly where and it isn’t on their website. Swear it is true! Lol

*waits for cheesecake factory to open downtown* LOL

Honest question, less snark than you'd think..........

Why would anyone want such a mediocre culinary outpost, anywhere?:

I mean seriously the food quality is mediocre at best.

Last edited:
Seafood market chain, De La Mer, are closing their remaining 3 locations as the owner battles cancer.

The stores are at: 1543 Bayview Ave, 291 Roncesvalles Ave, and 189 Danforth Ave. They recently also announced the closure of their location at: 728 St. Clair Ave W.

Hot - and it was!

So I tried Dave's Hot Chicken, which you were referencing above, today.

I had the slider combo, which comes with fries, and ordered a soft drink.

The slider is, in fact, a full-sized chicken sandwich, served with pickles and some kale slaw and spicy, creamy sauce to your level of prescribed heat.

Heat levels are listed as:

1685821918539.png

1685821897637.png

I ordered 'Hot'; staff seemed to feel this was pushing it, LOL. I enjoyed the heat level which had some sinus-clearing capabilities, but I would call it medium.

Which is all good, but hotter and you start to lose the taste/flavour of everything else.

My overall take on the sandwich:

- Good chicken, reads as prepared in store, not from frozen, doesn't feel like franken food, nice crunch on the batter.

- Sauce was at the heat level I expected which I would call 'blow your nose'; LOL; I would then logically assume the heat levels above are sweat a bit, and OMG it burns.

That said, I found the modest amount of Kale slaw brought no value. I like coleslaw on a sandwich such as this to cut the richness/offer some acid and different non-fried, crunch. The 2 tablespoons full of leafy slaw misses the point as it more or less wilts into the bun and doesn't taste like anything.

The pickels were you standard fast food variety, small, thin, crinkle cut and franklly under-flavoured. Too bad.

I think this sandwich would really benefit from a more meaningful, cabbage-based coleslaw, with a refreshing hit of acid like Lime, or Cider vinegar. The pickle should be thicker and larger to hold up to the sandwich and should be either extra garlic or full sour.

The fries are from frozen, sadly, but that said, are among the better from frozen, fast-food fries I've had.

Crinkle-cut, extra-crispy exterior and light, fluffy interior.

- 2 point off, they only offer ketchup for your fries no vinegar or alternate dips.

- The nice staff did mange to find a packet of mayo, which was preferable to the Dave's Sauce or Ketchup (both too sweet). But vinegar or an aioli of some kind would be preferable.
Lime Aioli might be quite nice; or in the alternative, perhaps smoky ancho.

- Order turn over time was a bit pokey, they got slammed just in front of me, so about 7 minutes, not terrible, not ideal for 'fast food'; at $12.99 for the combo, plus $1.99 for the drink, the meal was
$14.98+ tax (the machine also solicits a tip).

$16.93 all-in.

Ambiance is meh, but fine.

Overall, quite pleased for fast food; consider it decent value for money with the ability to get some decent heat.

Some relatively minor tweaks and it could be very good.

Last edited:
Dank Mart, an exotic snack shop on Queen West, is gone. Who knew that selling 15 dollar bags of Ruffles wasn’t a viable business model? 🤣

The name alone was a bit of a turn-off. Plus, you can get a lot of the Chinese/Japanese/Korean snacks that they carried much cheaper at T&T, H-Mart, Ding Dong and other Asian grocery stores.

Dank Mart, an exotic snack shop on Queen West, is gone. Who knew that selling 15 dollar bags of Ruffles wasn’t a viable business model? 🤣
They actually posted on their social media 10 weeks ago that they were relocating - which doesn't shock anyone, as there is a lot of uncertainty with Queen & Spadina due to the upcoming Ontario Line disruptions.
Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 8.00.58 PM.png

Back