621     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 441     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 771     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

From Guardian
1674655795046.png

If all those countries contribute, they could easily fulfill or surpass Ukraine's need for 300 tanks, not even counting the Abrams, Challengers, and possible LeClerc's that will be coming their way. It's well beyond the time to finish off those Russian orcs. The war has been a stalemate for a few months now.

The Economist today notes:

Everybody knows that the second round of Ukraine’s war is coming. Everybody knows that the Ukrainians need tanks and long-range missiles to withstand the next Russian offensive and to take back the territory that is theirs. And everybody knows that, sooner or later, the West usually ends up giving Ukraine what it needs.

That is why the latest round of “After you! No, after you!” has been so dismal and self-defeating. The fact that Ukraine is set to receive main battle tanks is welcome. But the way the decision came about prolonged Ukraine’s agony, damaged Western unity and benefited nobody except the man in the Kremlin. None of nato’s actors comes out of the latest drama well, but Germany emerges worst.

Mr Scholz’s claim to European leadership was bolstered just after the invasion, when he declared a Zeitenwende, a turning-point in Germany’s strategic outlook. Yet it is Mr Biden who emerges looking the statesman, for having yielded to preserve transatlantic unity when so much was at stake. Mr Scholz, by contrast, endangered it, and squandered Germany’s diplomatic gains by approving Leopards so grudgingly.

Mr Scholz’s claim to European leadership was bolstered just after the invasion, when he declared a Zeitenwende, a turning-point in Germany’s strategic outlook. Yet it is Mr Biden who emerges looking the statesman, for having yielded to preserve transatlantic unity when so much was at stake. Mr Scholz, by contrast, endangered it, and squandered Germany’s diplomatic gains by approving Leopards so grudgingly.

For all the reflexive hatred and jealousy of American influence, yet again the Europeans (and Canada), prove that the West cannot survive without the US. These guys would have handed over Ukraine on a platter if the US didn't lead. So much for all the high minded talk about human rights and democracy. When it comes time to put their money where their mouths are, most of the West can't deliver....

A good summary of Putin’s possible 2023 strategy.

I'm a big fan of Mick Ryan. Reading his book right now.

So would’ve Trump. Putin chose his timing badly.
Indeed. The world is really lucky to have an old Cold Warrior like Joe Biden in the White House. I'm not even entirely convinced that somebody like Obama would have done all that Biden has done. He rallied the world. Not just the US. History will remember Joe Biden, Boris Johnson and Volodymyr Zelenskyy for stepping up when it mattered.

I'm not even entirely convinced that somebody like Obama would have done all that Biden has done.
Obama sat on his duff when Putin invaded Ukraine in 2014. I’m not convinced either. Obama and Trump set Putin’s expectations of Washington’s level of interest and resolve re. Ukraine. Biden shattered Putin’s assumptions, which likely also challenged Beijing’s perceptions of US resolve re. Taiwan.

Canada considering sending 4 Leopard tanks to Ukraine... https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-donate-leopard-battle-tanks-1.6725868 That‘s two USAF C-5 Galaxy runs to Ramstein AB. Let’s load ‘em up.

Last edited:
I believe Ukraine’s ascendancy into a West-style parliamentary democracy, along with Poland’s growing confidence and stature will cause tension within the established European community. Once Ukraine joins the EU, its forty plus million people and agricultural/resource/industrial might combined with Poland’s thirty-eight million people, economic might and massive military expansion, may rattle the PIIGS and perhaps France and even Germany as the EU’s power centre moves eastwards.

It'll be an ironic day when Poles bemoan Spanish, Italian, and British! migrant workers arriving to work on Poland's construction projects.

Last edited:
I believe Ukraine’s ascendancy into a West-style parliamentary democracy, along with Poland’s growing confidence and stature will cause tension within the established European community. Once Ukraine joins the EU, its forty plus million people and agricultural/resource/industrial might combined with Poland’s thirty-eight million people, economic might and massive military expansion, may rattle the PIIGS and perhaps France and even Germany as the EU’s power centre moves eastwards.

It'll be an ironic day when Poles bemoan Spanish, Italian, and British! migrant workers arriving to work on Poland's construction projects.
Shades of the old Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth!

Also, they'll need migrant workers considering both country's demographic woes.

Obama sat on his duff when Putin invaded Ukraine in 2014. I’m not convinced either. Obama and Trump set Putin’s expectations of Washington’s level of interest and resolve re. Ukraine. Biden shattered Putin’s assumptions, which likely also challenged Beijing’s perceptions of US resolve re. Taiwan.

Canada considering sending 4 Leopard tanks to Ukraine... https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-donate-leopard-battle-tanks-1.6725868 That‘s two USAF C-5 Galaxy runs to Ramstein AB. Let’s load ‘em up.
Four? What if Canada includes all the confiscated automatic and semi-automatic guns, and send them to Ukraine?

Back