Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I'd be thrilled if they could get another 5 or 10 levels given height being approved for other nearby buildings. If this turns out close to the render, it deserves it and it would give the building better proportion and would appear prouder than it is now.

Debris from crane falls on downtown street

from cp24.com

Debris from a crane has fallen on the street at the northwest corner of the King and John streets in downtown Toronto.

The debris, metal slabs used for concrete moulding, struck a worker in the ankle but he suffered minor injuries and walked away from the scene.

Police say the crane was lifting something when it started to turn, hitting something else causing
debris to fall.

The incident happened in a construction zone.

Kind of surprising it made the news, to be honest. No one hurt, no major damage to anything, not really much of an angle for a story.

Great letters guys. Although one paragraph is missing from Urban Shocker's reply:

With regards to your people's concerns the render looking like the final product, let me assure that all efforts are being made to reconcile fantasy with reality. Some of these efforts including vaccinating employees with Cheapox, the newly approve vaccine to reduce the risk of the contracting the cheapening. Health Canada reports that the cheapening virus has inflicted a lot of the development personnel in this city. We care about the safety of our employees and have taken the necessary precautions. Thank you for understanding.

Love your take on The Cheapeningâ„¢ process CSW!

22 August 2008 photo update

It's already taller than the Vic's across the street....mid-afternoon, I spy many TIFF construction workers chillax'n.

DSC00366-1.jpg

John Bentley Mays has a nice overview of six of the downtown projects in today's Globe & Mail, entitled "Six Towers set to Bloom"....here is what he says about the Lightbox tower....

330 King St. West at John

Just a few steps north of the Ritz-Carlton, the Bell Lightbox will be another tall tower in what's becoming a big cluster of them along King. It has been designed by Bruce Kuwabara of the well-known Toronto firm Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects, and it will house the famous Toronto International Film Festival Group and many condominiums up top.

If architects' renderings are anything to go on, the building will be bright and lively, and crowned with a glowing box illuminated from within by light-emitting diodes — "a vertical city of film," Mr. Kuwabara has poetically called it.

"Crowned with a glowing box of light-emitting diodes?" didn't know this..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080828.reMays0829/REStory/RealEstate/home

"Crowned with a glowing box of light-emitting diodes?" didn't know this...

^ It's part of the 1% of hard costs towards the city art program if I recall correctly - I think Michael Snow is the artist that put together the design. I'd like to see more towers in Toronto light their crowns at night. We've had a few recent examples with RoCP, Met and Cityplace's 'Warm by Night' concept - but other then that our night-time skyline is rather dark (unless you count corporate logos).

Back