News   Jun 04, 2024
 110     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 656     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 523     1 

TTC: Automated stop and station announcements

On the southbound Jane Street bus yesterday afternoon I'm sure I heard Betty announcing, " Next stop Eggleton Avenue West" and, "Next stop Sinclair Avenue west" ...

"Next stop Sinclair Avenue west" ...

Given how he used to work around there, maybe it's paying tribute
gordonsinclair.jpg

It also happened to me today. Some time ago, there was also a problem that immediately after the announcement for Lansdowne came "Next stop Spadina..." which is even more surprising. The Museum Station bug is interesting seeing as Bay Lower is actually in that direction. I wonder if that announcement is programmed.

The worst bug, however, was on a Bloor train this morning. There were no announcements.
Nah, I'm pretty sure that there's some kind of device installed on the walls of the tunnel and when the train is in proximity, it activates a certain sound file to play. So maybe the one for Bay is too close to the one for Museum. This would also explain why the eastbound "arriving at Greenwood" comes on like 15 seconds before the station. Why is it that when the TTC tries something, they always do it so half-assed. It would take like maybe 15% more effort to do it properly, and avoid customer complaints. I was on a B-D line train once that said every single announcement twice. ("the next station is spadina...spadina stationthe next station is spadina...spadina station"...that was hell).

I wish we could have gotten celebrities to do the voices for different stations & lines. I believe London's TramLink has Dame Judy Dench calling out stops. Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is class. Can you imagine the amazingness if we got James Earl Jones to do this? Better yet, William Shatner.

The computer generated voice on the VIVA buses sound like nails on a chalkboard.

the ones one the YRT busses are even worse. they say the full intersection. so when travelling on the 99, the voice always says "X st. @ yonge". The TTC announcements sound much better.

I wish we could have gotten celebrities to do the voices for different stations & lines. I believe London's TramLink has Dame Judy Dench calling out stops. Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is class. Can you imagine the amazingness if we got James Earl Jones to do this? Better yet, William Shatner.

James Earl Jones can do MARTA. Shatner could do STM, but I don't know if he could do French. I like the announcements there already. I could see even Shatner's spoken word better than Betty from Ajax's so that's not a bad idea. Even though he's a jerk, Mike Myers could do the SRT.

The system seems to be buggy lately - I was on a 29 northbound and there were no announcements and the screen was stuck on Castlefield Avenue. I also find the variation on the audio annoying - sometimes Betty forgets to use her indoor voice in the subway.

I was on a B-D line train once that said every single announcement twice. ("the next station is spadina...spadina stationthe next station is spadina...spadina station"...that was hell).

That's happened quite a bit. I believe this happens when the announcement box is on in both the driver and guard cabs, hence triggered twice.

Better yet, Batman!

LOL!

bathurst street.... oh yeah!!

he'll give you transfers for your to-kens!

Douglas Rain! But the subway doors would have to be operated manually :)

Almost every single one of HAL's lines would make fantastic service announcements:

"I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over."
"The TTC is the most reliable transit system ever made. No TTC operator has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."
"Attention all passengers on the Bloor/Danforth subway line...just a moment...just a moment...I've just picked up a fault on the 35A. It's going to be a hundred percent full with 72 riders, and it will stay that way until Finch."

Back