News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Waterfront: Lake Ontario Park (Field Operations)

So Ashbridge's Bay will be no more? They are going to convert it into wetlands? Interesting.

How likely are these plans to actually come to fruition? They look expensive.

So Ashbridge's Bay will be no more? They are going to convert it into wetlands? Interesting.

Well, maybe more like "yes more", i.e. returning to what it by and large basically was up until the early c20...

This stuff looks great.

My main questions is...where is all of this money coming from? I think I read that there is 1.5 billion in trust for WT but what happens when that runs out? Do we see delays and hear bickering about who will fund the rest of the development?

From the Globe Real Estate section:

REDEVELOPMENT
A giant waterfront game of checkers
"When it's all done in a few decades, it will be a 'signature park'
for the city." -- Christopher Glaisek of WaterfronToronto
DAVE LEBLANC

From Friday's Globe and Mail

July 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

If you imagine a checkerboard of green and grey, it's really just about colouring over those icky grey squares so that they're all gorgeous green.

Except they're not squares, they're former industrial sites that will require massive cleanup operations. And the squares that are already green are populated by people engaged in diverse waterfront activities — sailing, canoeing, dragon-boat racing, beach volleyball, bird-watching, rollerblading, bicycling and tennis.

All of which means Lake Ontario Park won't be created overnight, but, when it's all done in a few decades, it will be a "signature park" for the city, says Christopher Glaisek, WaterfronToronto's vice-president of planning and design.

He's quick to point out, however, that in unifying all of those disconnected patches of green — creating almost 1,000 acres stretching from Cherry Beach to the R.C. Harris Filtration Plant at Victoria Park Avenue — the most important thing will be to leave what's already established, such as "phenomenal asset" Tommy Thompson Park, well enough alone.

"That idea of 'big nature, big wild' is exactly what we're trying to bring across the whole park," he says.

At an open house on July 10 at Polson Pier, WaterfronToronto unveiled the current plan as prepared by New York-based landscape firm Field Operations. After the public's concerns and suggestions are considered, a final master plan will be drawn up for what will be a long, thin belt of wilderness — christened "the bar" — starting just east of Cherry Beach, and extending from Unwin Avenue to the water's edge. This will link up with the wider Base Lands (gateway to the multipronged Leslie Street Spit), which, again, will connect to Ashbridges Bay and the eastern Beaches.

"Connectivity" is a word used often when describing the massive project, and Field Operations has decided the best way to stitch together our patchy waterfront is to use transects. Transects are linear paths field scientists use when studying ecological habitats. By observing the various species encountered along a transect (and determining their numbers and how far apart they are), scientists can do various calculations once back at the lab.

Similarly, by creating transects along Lake Ontario Park, "people can go from one end to the other and experience all the different ecologies and all the different activities," explains Mr. Glaisek, a Yale-educated architect and urban planner who, before coming here, worked on the World Trade Center site in Manhattan.

Three days after the open house, Field Operations senior associate Richard Kennedy stood on Cherry Beach, dwarfed by the big cottonwood trees. "There's no place like this in any city waterfront," he told a small group preparing to be led along "the bar."

Speaking in front of the first of five banners that the walkers would encounter, the native New Yorker promised that Lake Ontario Park will be car-free, will retain most of its tree canopy (and when trees are removed, others will be planted elsewhere), will accommodate existing uses as well as add new ones, and, finally, will be "remarkable."

Also remarkable is that a firm as celebrated as Field Operations — featured in the Museum of Modern Art's 2005 exhibit on the transformation of Staten Island's Fresh Kills landfill site — was chosen to wield the green magic marker that will rewrite our waterfront.

I'd always hoped a saviour would ride in from out of town armed with that most valuable asset, objectivity, but I was afraid to dream that big. Now, combined with WaterfronToronto's other projects, — including the West Don Lands, East Bayfront and the unrelated Central Waterfront project being carried out by Rotterdam-based West 8 in collaboration with local good guys du Toit Allsopp Hillier — dreams are becoming realities.

As we walked the Martin Goodman Trail, Mr. Kennedy spoke of the exhaustive consultation process required thus far. In addition to public open houses, there have been many monthly "stakeholder meetings," involving groups such as Stakeholders are, simply, representatives from the various groups that already use the park, such as Friends of the Spit, Portlands Action Committee, West Don Lands Committee and the Outer Harbour Sailing Federation.

A "spectacular moment" could be created at the third banner (approximately even with Carlaw Avenue if it dipped down this low) if a new beach were established by removing all the scrub and ground cover, Mr. Kennedy says. Here, kayaks and dragon boats gliding mere meters away would become instant spectator fodder.After a 10-minute jaunt through the "mosquitoriffic" Base Lands, we arrived at the fifth and final banner overlooking Ashbridges Bay. Planned for this location is a 600-metre bridge that would shake hands with the eastern beaches. Rather than "create a continuous barrier" to watercraft users, Mr. Kennedy says the structure would sit on stepped islands, which, in addition to allowing aquatic traffic through, would allow bridge walkers to descend and linger on "spectator terraces."

This is the kind of civic-pride-building project we'll all be watching closely. And, with a game of checkers this promising, there'll be no such thing, hopefully, as losers.

For updates on Lake Ontario Park, go to www.waterfrontoronto.ca.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080724.re-leblanc0725/REStory/RealEstate/home

AoD

I'm with you on that. Waterfrontoronto seems to be doing everything but creating/building permanent public parks and facilities on the waterfront.

I'd love to see your sources for that claim.

Waterfront Toronto is building plety of permanent stuff. Have a look at hTO Park, the Spadina slip deck (and the others commencing construction this fall), the East and West Bayfront and the transportation upgrades that are ongoing that will help bring people to the water.

These are just the start. By next summer, the waterfront is going to be buzzing with visible construction on 3 or more slip decks, bridges, floating piers, Queens Quay's transformation, and this rhythm will be maintained well into 2011.

I've attended a few of the early public meetings for Lake Ontario Park and they are planning to expand and build a spectacular chain of parks along the waterfront.

I don't believe people realize the size and scope of this project alone. I've pressed Waterfront Toronto staff to do a better job at selling and informing the entire city-region (416 + 905) on the good work they are undertaking . I understand that a massive new PR campaign is set to be launched next month that will do exactly just that.

Excellent planning work has taken place on the waterfront, were near the end of the approval process for many large projects, its exciting to finally see the transition towards actual construction!

Louroz

So they did something like this on Staten Island? Why not Manhattan? As much as I love to canoe through Algonquin Park and in the Timmins area, I would not expect to do the same thing in the harbour of a major city.
Looks like some version of a utopian paradise, exept that the birds have denuded the trees at the tip of the Leslie St. spit (you can see the damage from Cherry Beach, but it is much worse from the water), the beavers are destroying the trees along the water's edge in Cherry Beach and Ashbridges Bay and (get ready for this) NOBODY USES THE DAMNED PARKS NOW.

How do I know this? Because I do use the parks 365 days a year. I have a Husky and I am at Cherry Beach in January. Sure, the park is busy today, but in January I am alone. Ashbridges Bay, ditto. Sunnyside, ditto.

All these wonderful scenarios of wide promenades and beautiful vistas are drawn in the peak of summer. Billions spent so a few people can enjoy the filhty water for, what - 3 months of the year?

Let's set aside the 'car-free' argument for a moment: who the heck is going to pay for all these wonderful new parks? Once the feds have made their splash and left the party, it is this bankrupt city that is left to pay the bills.
Here's a novel idea: why don't we fix the parks we have now? Balfour is a ruins compared to what it was 25 years ago. Sunnyside is awash in goose dung and garbage along the beach; the monuments are all falling into disrepair. High Park and Exhibition Place are two underused wastelands that we have now.

Frankly, Cherry Beach is better left alone. It's free of tourists and quite peaceful now.

Parks Endowment Strategy Approved

Dichotomy:

It sounds like you are a frequent user of the park and I certainly hope you have attended one of the numerous public meetings and workshops in planning for Lake Ontario Park.

If you haven't, I strongly enourage you to start. Its way too easy to type your opinion on a message board, it takes commitment to share it by participating in the decision making process and will make a real impact in helping build a great city and waterfront.

I want to assure you that many of your points of concern were also brought up by others during the consultation process and many thoughtful suggestions were brought forward. This area has vast untapped potential that should be improved, expanded, shared, celebrated and enjoyed by all in the city-region.

In my opinion Waterfront Toronto has done an outstanding job in consulting and planning for active year-round activities in all of its projects. See link above for a detailed all seasons presentation of the newly expanded Lake Ontario Park.

As for long term sustainable funding for these park, Waterfront Toronto shares the same concerns and recently approved the creation of an Parks Endowment Strategy to fund future Park Operations and Maintenance:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4857caee8d8f8.pdf

Louroz

It seems like there won't be enough transportation infrastructure to bring all these people to Lake Ontario Park. I know they're planning on building a few streetcar lines, but this is extending all the way from the Lower Donlands to Vic Park. Some of the Eastern parts are okay since the Queen street car is only about a 5 minute walk to the beach, but particularly for the Spit, will enough people support it if you can't drive there and have to walk for 20 minutes after getting off the closest bus/streetcar?

The whole park isn't going to be developed and opened over night. What is being presented and proposed is the Park Master Plan. The strategy is to phase the building and opening of pieces of the park over the span of 20 years, by which time the transit, people and places, especially in the Portlands will well be in place.

Louroz

Cherry Beach seems to be quite heavily used on summer weekend. It's not surprising that parks get less used in winter. With an LRT there it will be more heavily used.

These plans seem to me to be truly visionary and I hope they are successful. To my mind, the true genius of these plans is the connector between the base of Leslie Spit and Ashbridge's Bay, which will bridge a large and somewhat painful gap on the waterfront now. I'm so much more impressed with this approach than with the idea of having had the Olympics there, though I have to agree that we would likely be farther along.

I'd love to see your sources for that claim.

Waterfront Toronto is building plety of permanent stuff. Have a look at hTO Park, the Spadina slip deck (and the others commencing construction this fall), the East and West Bayfront and the transportation upgrades that are ongoing that will help bring people to the water.

These are just the start. By next summer, the waterfront is going to be buzzing with visible construction on 3 or more slip decks, bridges, floating piers, Queens Quay's transformation, and this rhythm will be maintained well into 2011.

I agree. People see renderings one day and if the shovel isn't in the ground within a few months they are all bitching. Be patient people and it will all get build!! It will be well worth the wait.

Back