News   May 03, 2024
 932     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 565     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 275     0 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

another from the roof

I just bookmarked your blog. Fantastic eye-candy! I love it when talented photographers can bring out the visual potential of this lamentably under-appreciated city.

Hope you attain the success of that other famous blog which I won't mention here.

Good luck!

This picture makes me think that a bike path might fit along the south edge of the rail tracks, winding past City Place, under Bathurst, edging Fort York and eventually greeting the CNE and waterfront trail on the otherside of the Gardiner.

^ There will be the North Linear Path south of the tracks all along City Place. It's not a dedicated bike path, but still accomplish what you're thinking. It will start east of Spadina and go under Spadina (path already built, just fenced off) and continue all the way to the future Portland St. bridge and past into the park they are incorporating in the TCHC blocks. From there it should continue under Bathurst and into Ft. York.

From there I think it should head south and cross under the Gardiner where Fort York Blvd is. It could continue along FY Blvd where there are bike lanes, or continue south to Lake Shore through the future park in the Fort York Neighbourhood district. From Lake Shore, it can head west through the Princess Gates into the CNE.

Yes, I forgot about the bike lanes on Fort York (which is strange, since I use them often). I wasn't aware that we'd get a northern linear park. I hope the park is better than the linear parkettes we have abutting the highway. Still, a tree-lined bike path would be a nice addition, in theory.

I noticed this morning that they did some landscaping at the entrance to Fort York blvd. Basicaly a bunch of tree in the island between the West1 complex and Neo/Montage. Didn't have a camera, but it looked like it has some potential.

Good to hear some landscaping was done in the median. Let's hope this is continued all the way along the centre median (future transit ROW) all the way to Bathurst. Back in the Spring at the Railway Lands public meeting hosted by Adam Vaughan, I heard that Concord wanted the whole median landscapped until the ROW is in place, but the City was opposed and wanted it paved over with asphalt.

Back in the Spring at the Railway Lands public meeting hosted by Adam Vaughan, I heard that Concord wanted the whole median landscapped until the ROW is in place, but the City was opposed and wanted it paved over with asphalt.

I like trees and landscaping a lot but I wonder why anyone would do significant landscaping of the median west of Spadina since the City seems keen to move forward on the streetcar line there. At the TTC meeting 6 weeks ago it was approved for an EA and I think Council approved going forward with it too. OK, an EA does not mean we will see any construction soon but with the Bathurst Bridge being renovated next year, partly to accomodate a streetcar cross-over, I think it's not too far off.

I like trees and landscaping a lot but I wonder why anyone would do significant landscaping of the median west of Spadina since the City seems keen to move forward on the streetcar line there. At the TTC meeting 6 weeks ago it was approved for an EA and I think Council approved going forward with it too. OK, an EA does not mean we will see any construction soon but with the Bathurst Bridge being renovated next year, partly to accomodate a streetcar cross-over, I think it's not too far off.

I understand what you mean and I am in agreement, why do so much when it's just going to be removed in due time? I'm hoping that the streetcar line goes in as soon as possible, but who knows when construction will actually start as it awaits the completion of the EA process, public consultations (like they care, read Sheppard LRT East), engineering and other designs, and funding.

I guess it depends on how much landscaping is put in. Planting many trees all the way to Bathurst would cost a lot for such a short period of time, and they will still be small by the time they are removed. I would prefer laying sod down in the interim, with a few trees at certain intersections. It all depends on cost, including maintenance. The last thing I want is an asphalt surface. I suppose a nice brick pattern would be ok. I don't know the differences in cost per sq. m for the different surfaces.

The only concern I have about landscaping, and I know others feel the same, is the maintenance. Dying vegetation, or even worse, infested with weeds, is pitiful. On the weekend when I was walking around "Downtown Markham", it was such a sad sight to see the lack of maintenance of landscaping. I'm referring to the centre median along Enterprise Blvd. Since there are no sidewalks, I walked along the median. The only thing growing were weeds, if that. I understand it's basically a big construction site, but still.

I understand what you mean and I am in agreement, why do so much when it's just going to be removed in due time? I'm hoping that the streetcar line goes in as soon as possible, but who knows when construction will actually start as it awaits the completion of the EA process, public consultations (like they care, read Sheppard LRT East), engineering and other designs, and funding.

I guess it depends on how much landscaping is put in. Planting many trees all the way to Bathurst would cost a lot for such a short period of time, and they will still be small by the time they are removed. I would prefer laying sod down in the interim, with a few trees at certain intersections. It all depends on cost, including maintenance. The last thing I want is an asphalt surface. I suppose a nice brick pattern would be ok. I don't know the differences in cost per sq. m for the different surfaces.

The only concern I have about landscaping, and I know others feel the same, is the maintenance. Dying vegetation, or even worse, infested with weeds, is pitiful. On the weekend when I was walking around "Downtown Markham", it was such a sad sight to see the lack of maintenance of landscaping. I'm referring to the centre median along Enterprise Blvd. Since there are no sidewalks, I walked along the median. The only thing growing were weeds, if that. I understand it's basically a big construction site, but still.

And there, my friend, is the rub.

On the weekend when I was walking around "Downtown Markham", it was such a sad sight to see the lack of maintenance of landscaping. I'm referring to the centre median along Enterprise Blvd. Since there are no sidewalks, I walked along the median. The only thing growing were weeds, if that. I understand it's basically a big construction site, but still.

They discussed the problem of weeds in the news yesterday. It's not happening just in "Downtown Markham" as you mentioned, but everywhere, including downtown. Since the pesticide ban years ago and the abnormal amount of rainfall this year, the weeds are having a field day and growing everywhere.

July 23

Looking south on Spadina, the crane has been removed.
2701668648_66386c0d84_b.jpg

Back