Mississauga Square One District | ?m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

^ are we really getting an "Oreo" building... in the middle... or did you just PhotoShop that? :)
Hopefully two!
Oreo+Oreo.jpg

Don't read too much into these at this point. These renderings are all notional, aspirational, Alexander Calder-fanciful at this point.

While the buildings rendered are of course placeholders, the corporate name-dropping is of interest.

Oxford Properties Trademark Clearance Department: Junior Assistant on the phone with Nabisco:

Nabisco: "Sure you can use our company logo, but only if you add a product logo too."

Oxford rep: "oh... Ok... which one?"

Nabisco: "What's your favourite?"

Oxford rep: "Hmmm... oh!! The... you know... the one you have to unscrew."

Why not build two black towers surrounding a white one?

That's actually a great idea for a Washington D.C. post-November sculpture installation:

Obama and Dr. King with a double-stuffed racist white Donald Duck, cowering in the middle. 📫

🥳

Can they legally use these brand names on their renders without having any real discussions?

I don't think they can. If they were just using them for no reason, it could potentially be considered a trademark infringement. The use of these trademarks could also potentially create an issue with misrepresentation, leading other prospective tenants to believe the office space is more popular and worth more than it actually is, hence the names on the buildings. Given that Oxford is incredibly high-profile and sticks to pretty high standards, it is to be assumed that they aren't just sticking these on the buildings for no reason.

The permission for the use of these trademarks would first have be granted to Oxford, who would then direct HPA to model them in the renderings after the initial ones were released, so this would have gone through multiple layers of people. These are also very specific and diverse companies - Samsung, VISA, Nabisco/Mondelez/Oreo, and IBN have nothing in common. Samsung currently has a small office in Mississauga just north of the 401, VISA is currently located in Scotia Plaza, Nabisco/Mondelez has a few Canadian locations, and IBN has no presence in Canada currently. I think it would be relatively safe to say that these are the prospective tenants, given how specific and diverse they are.

I don't think they can. If they were just using them for no reason, it could potentially be considered a trademark infringement. The use of these trademarks could also potentially create an issue with misrepresentation, leading other prospective tenants to believe the office space is more popular and worth more than it actually is, hence the names on the buildings. Given that Oxford is incredibly high-profile and sticks to pretty high standards, it is to be assumed that they aren't just sticking these on the buildings for no reason.

The permission for the use of these trademarks would first have be granted to Oxford, who would then direct HPA to model them in the renderings after the initial ones were released, so this would have gone through multiple layers of people. These are also very specific and diverse companies - Samsung, VISA, Nabisco/Mondelez/Oreo, and IBN have nothing in common. Samsung currently has a small office in Mississauga just north of the 401, VISA is currently located in Scotia Plaza, Nabisco/Mondelez has a few Canadian locations, and IBN has no presence in Canada currently. I think it would be relatively safe to say that these are the prospective tenants, given how specific and diverse they are.
Sorry, you're going too far.

They could easily publish without permission… and if the rights holders object, then take whatever action. Are they likely to publish those logos without permission, though? Probably not.

Having permission to use the trademarks is completely different, however, from actually securing Mondelez or whomever as future building tenants. It could be entirely unrelated, and without a statement one way or the other, we simply do not know, it's all speculation. The fact that there are two buildings pictured with Oreo logos on them should be a clue that the logos are simply representative of potential future signage locations on the buildings… and that's probably even a stretch.

Doug Ford just said that a developer would have to pitch in for the LRT loop.

If the loop were to be reinstated, how do you guys think that would influence this square one district development?

If it's Oxford that owns all this land, I don't know if they're going to want to pitch in for public transit... but I think this whole square one district would benefit from the loop being built in it.... although I do hear other people's opposition to the loop, as passengers riding south would have to go through the loop and ad extra minutes to their commute as opposed to if there were no loop.

Looking forward to this whole thing even though it will take such a long time. Maybe I'll see it done by the time I'm 60... it would be nice to see some impressive architecture. I'm assuming most of the designs are placeholders for now... it would be nice to see some taller buildings as well, just more density in office and residential.... but even if it stands as is, this area is going to need an infrastructure upgrade.

I question the long-term viability of the mall being the central focus of the area, but maybe it will work into the future given that it's one of the biggest malls in North America.

He’s leading the polls sadly. I assume he will win. No one’s pitching in. There will be no loop. But what are the pcs commitment to Brampton?

It is interesting that a lot the development has been significantly west of hurontario. What this means is that the land as close to hurontario will be the most desirable. But it’s also land that already has been partially developed with small office buildings.

He’s leading the polls sadly. I assume he will win. No one’s pitching in. There will be no loop. But what are the pcs commitment to Brampton?

It is interesting that a lot the development has been significantly west of hurontario. What this means is that the land as close to hurontario will be the most desirable. But it’s also land that already has been partially developed with small office buildings.

The feds have hinted that they would pitch in for the loop.

Back