News   May 10, 2024
 334     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 309     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 419     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Toronto is such a joke when it comes to street beauty. Is that supposed to be an example of sidewalk highlights? We need more gay city counsellors and construction workers to add some pizazz to our streets.

Kyle Rae – the councillor at this ward – is gay and that hasn't prevented him from watching PenEquity build two gross monstrosities at arguably the most important intersection of his ward.

Nice! Like the modernism of the entrance!
You cannot be serious. It has all the modernism of a Tim Hortons highway rest stop in Uxbridge.

PICT1571.jpg

Ouch. This building suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks! It's an extremely unwelcome and uninviting behemoth on Yonge, Gould, and Victoria with no redeeming architectural value whatsoever.

it makes me wonder.. what COULD they do to make that more appealing? it's required because those are the walls of the theatres...

They could have clad with brick like the Scotiabank Theatre I guess... but that's just as uninspiring as the corrugated metal.

a big green wall. let plants grow all over it. not only would it look more pleasing that than grey wall in that picture, it would clean some air as well.

Okay, okay, we've all enjoyed our pile-on. Poor Ryuinfinity. He's right: let's not bite the newbie.

(Let us merely stick to a discussion of exactly how awful this building is: abysmal or monsterous?)

Just stick more back-lit ads or screens on this building. That's a sure route to improving it.

Hydrogen:

And keep PenEquity afloat for that much longer? No thanks.

299:

what COULD they do to make that more appealing?

Tear it down? The sucker is overscaled against the Salad King building no matter how you dress it up.

AoD

The smell is from the subway system.

That intersection will become Toronto first full scrambler intersection for pedestrian shortly.

Traffic folks will love this while pedestrian saying what is up?

To me it comes across as a giant shed........

I guess one day I will have to venture inside, but just seeing Shoppers Drug Mart kills all interest.

Of course the Paramount building is beautiful and intriguing. But is it prominent in Times Square? No. Absolutely not. By far, the advertising signs in the core of Times Square are still the focus and most photographed. This is my point. I bet if you did a survey people wouldn't even know that this building is part of Times Square...but they could tell you the Coca-Cola sign is...BINGO!

And for the record, your quotes are misquoted. Isn't that a bit amateurish? Let's stick to facts. Thanks.

How are they misquoted?

And besides, re said survey of people re Times Square: of course, you must realize that most "people" aren't necessarily that hyper-sensitive in and of themselves to architectural or urban matters, they're not the sort to go around with their copy of The AIA Guide To New York City or its architectural-guide counterparts. They're, basically, philistines, urbanistically speaking. And as such, they'd probably think this is just grubby--which doesn't make them right; just stupid.

Remember: just because average folk remember the advertising first and foremost doesn't mean the architecture and urban design in Times Square is--or ought to be--superfluous-to-negligible-to-non-existent. A lot of the time, even when it "seems to be", it isn't--thanks especially to city planning decisions over the past quarter century. It may please those dumb tourists who think it's all about the advertising and nothing else, but it shoots subtly above their heads as well, toward the true urban conoisseur and civic tourist.

The non-architecture of TLS is born out of a jerkwater misunderstanding of how Times Square truly "works".

So what kind of "facts" do you want me to stick to?

Incidentally, I accidentally deleted the original post where I made the Paramount Building reference (darn), as part of a complicated strategy involving this response...

==================

How are they misquoted?

Actually, I just discovered how. Here's the earlier post of yours, Patriot

In Times Square for example, can you recount the beautiful architectual buildings? No. Times Square is an attraction because of the advertising showcased. The buildings are hidden, passe and an after-thought. The true architectual wonders are found throughout NYC away from Times Square. It makes sense.

And here's my response

Of course, that may be lost on you, because you're a hack amateur dolt who frames things in terms of ooh-aah "beautiful architectural buildings" and "true architectural wonders"...

So, I spelled "architectual" wrong...;)

It's a shame, that we're going to be stuck with this for a long long time. Probably the rest of our lives.

Assuming that the average age of this board's users is somewhere in the mid 30s, I think we'll see significant changes to this site long before our collective shuffle to the boneyard. Indeed, depending on how quickly the property values at this intersection rise I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete replacement of the current crap-pile in the next 20 years.

The city should ban PenEquity from ever developing another property in the city. They've proven to us that as a development company, they are a useless joke. Make it a jailable offense for them to practice in this city again.

And no, I'm not kidding. The interior is borderline criminal.

Assuming that the average age of this board's users is somewhere in the mid 30s, I think we'll see significant changes to this site long before our collective shuffle to the boneyard. Indeed, depending on how quickly the property values at this intersection rise I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete replacement of the current crap-pile in the next 20 years.
I don't know... I hope you're right, but I think that's just wishful thinking.
The city should ban PenEquity from ever developing another property in the city. They've proven to us that as a development company, they are a useless joke. Make it a jailable offense for them to practice in this city again.

And no, I'm not kidding. The interior is borderline criminal.

I wonder what David Miller thinks of it.

Back