Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

The implicit assumption for years now is that those wanting to actually use their kitchens will purchase an island of some sort. Those who want to reheat things in the microwave will leave that space open.
yup. The problem is that often condo living spaces are so small now that if you want the island, you lose the space for the dining table. So you can cook, but you have to sit on the couch to eat it!

I'm generally fine with microscopic bedrooms which generally seems to get more derision on this board, but it's surprisingly difficult to find new construction condos with living rooms that are functionally large enough for a decent couch/TV area, dining area, and functional kitchen.

yup. The problem is that often condo living spaces are so small now that if you want the island, you lose the space for the dining table. So you can cook, but you have to sit on the couch to eat it!

I'm generally fine with microscopic bedrooms which generally seems to get more derision on this board, but it's surprisingly difficult to find new construction condos with living rooms that are functionally large enough for a decent couch/TV area, dining area, and functional kitchen.
I get you totally
You either have room to cook but not to eat or vice versa
It's bullshit

We bought our current apartment pretty much entirely because it had plenty of space for the island and a dining table, and room to park a stroller in the entranceway. Those two things are very hard to find in any recent build. Bedroom size was not a consideration, though it turns out it's a good thing our bedroom also has room for a desk, a use which was not considered when we bought it.

They are still providing Danby brand mosquito coil type range as standard in Teahouse condos. Have not seen this in newly built for the longest time.

C5405905_3.jpg

A white stove amongst stainless steel appliances. Brilliant.

This kitchen is a joke. What did this unit cost originally??

Dont worry everyone, soon there will be micro-kitchen garages popping up all over the city where people can go and cook their daily meals. Think of it as a similar concept to self-storage buildings. Maybe we can even start outsourcing bedrooms as well and have sleeping pods pop up all over the city, that way developers can eliminate bedroom space and more kitchen space while charging the same price psf.

The implicit assumption for years now is that those wanting to actually use their kitchens will purchase an island of some sort. Those who want to reheat things in the microwave will leave that space open.

Standard industry design guidance on kitchen islands: (in this case, from: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-much-room-do-you-need-for-a-kitchen-island-stsetivw-vs~52264430 )

1635277692787.png

Wait for it:

1635277738628.png

1635277803405.png

Now, trying drawing that into the unit shown above! LOL

Yes, you can a bit lower on the clearance, but not that much assuming you want to be able to open drawers or cupboards/fridge door to the full extent possible without hitting your island.

Also, an island can give you counter space, but that kitchen also requires added storage. But as soon as you have another set of doors to open; your clearance requirements increase.

Also, if you put storage under, you can't have seating at the island.

Last edited:

Yes, you can a bit lower on the clearance, but not that much assuming you want to be able to open drawers or cupboards/fridge door to the full extent possible without hitting your island.

Also, an island can give you counter space, but that kitchen also requires add storage. But as you have another set of doors to open; your clearance requirements increase.

Also, if you put storage under, you can't have seating at the island.
Not to mention clearance to open the oven door without standing awkwardly to the side. IKEA actually has a couple of nice butcher block topped islands that have both storage and seating, however at 49" x 30" even they might be too big for a space like that.

If you add the island, where will you put your couch? :p 🤣

I think the kitchen accommodation part is great...if you plan to treat as a bachelor, island or not. I really would hate to raise a family here though. And two would be a crowd. /sigh

Can you even roast a turkey in that tiny oven? I remember in a previous home I got a shock on Thanksgiving. Let's just say, Thanksgiving dinner almost didn't happen. That kitchen shown above is practically useless. It looks fine but it's too small if you want to cook ....and that's what a kitchen is supposed to be for.

Who wants to roast a turkey these days? I am a pretty good cook, but have never roasted a turkey in my life. On Thanksgiving I stewed turkey thighs in green chiles and made tacos, which would have been perfectly possible in that oven.

Ehh, while that kitchen is not great, I think it'll do for basic cooking. My friend and his girlfriend have a similarly sized kitchen, only it's not open concept, and they manage more or less.

Back