News   May 14, 2024
 705     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 502     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Lawrence East BRT.png

I propose the Lawrence East BRT which would run from Science Centre Station to Rouge Hill GO. Here's the context:

The 54 Lawrence East is one of the busiest, longest and major bus routes without a LRT or Subway being planned on the corridor. The Surface Network Transit Priority plan's for Lawrence East to have bus lanes in 2024. That's the easy way out for the city. Paint. The corridor has a very large ROW to handle a Complete Street Lawrence Avenue that can spur development, improve transit and make it safer for cyclists and pedestrians.

The 954 Lawrence East Express from Science Centre is planned to start running when Line 5 opens.

My stop spacing and stops for this BRT are similar to the VIVA projects and the future Scarborough-Durham BRT. Every major and minor arterial, few collector streets and key rider stops. 28 stops including 5 interchanges with other transit lines. There would still be local service just less frequent similar to VIVA. And please don't tell me this is too many stops. We are not having a Finch West LRT debate. The 54 on this corridor has 65 local stops to Rouge.

There would be red bus lanes from Science Centre to Lawrence/Don Mills. This would handle the construction impacts of the future future Ontario Line North. Speaking of, why wouldn't I start the line at the Donway? Well Science Centre is just a major hub for everything including OL, Line 5 and countless bus connections and Wynford Green. It's a better spot to connect to everything.

East of Don Mills the BRT would run in the median, there would only be turns at signals and U-turns allowed. Nothing new here but a few traffic signals would be added to not only handle turning traffic midblock but also allow people to cross the street more. The centre turn lane would be removed and 2 car lanes per direction would be maintained. New in-boulevard cycle tracks would run along the entire length and multi-use trails would be installed at bike trail connections. The sidewalk would be widened to 2.3m the entire length.

Lawrence East (DVP-Morningside.png

East of Morningside, because of space constraints, it could be two lanes tightly but I decided there would be one car lane per direction. This encourages regional traffic flow through to Kingston Rd. and reinforces Lawrence east of Morningside as a local route and reduces reliance on motor vehicles. It also allows space for cycle tracks and widened sidewalks along the entire length. Lawrence Ave is a key corridor for cycling potential. (It helps that the councillors in this section is accepting of cycling infrastructure and lane reductions)

Lawrence East (Morningside-Rouge).png

The project can also easily be converted to LRT in the long-term. It'll be great, and is something that can easily be obtained. It would also be a super-affordable option.

(The greater network)
1618245438220.png

View attachment 312045

I propose the Lawrence East BRT which would run from Science Centre Station to Rouge Hill GO. Here's the context:

The 54 Lawrence East is one of the busiest, longest and major bus routes without a LRT or Subway being planned on the corridor. The Surface Network Transit Priority plan's for Lawrence East to have bus lanes in 2024. That's the easy way out for the city. Paint. The corridor has a very large ROW to handle a Complete Street Lawrence Avenue that can spur development, improve transit and make it safer for cyclists and pedestrians.

The 954 Lawrence East Express from Science Centre is planned to start running when Line 5 opens.

My stop spacing and stops for this BRT are similar to the VIVA projects and the future Scarborough-Durham BRT. Every major and minor arterial, few collector streets and key rider stops. 28 stops including 5 interchanges with other transit lines. There would still be local service just less frequent similar to VIVA. And please don't tell me this is too many stops. We are not having a Finch West LRT debate. The 54 on this corridor has 65 local stops to Rouge.

There would be red bus lanes from Science Centre to Lawrence/Don Mills. This would handle the construction impacts of the future future Ontario Line North. Speaking of, why wouldn't I start the line at the Donway? Well Science Centre is just a major hub for everything including OL, Line 5 and countless bus connections and Wynford Green. It's a better spot to connect to everything.

East of Don Mills the BRT would run in the median, there would only be turns at signals and U-turns allowed. Nothing new here but a few traffic signals would be added to not only handle turning traffic midblock but also allow people to cross the street more. The centre turn lane would be removed and 2 car lanes per direction would be maintained. New in-boulevard cycle tracks would run along the entire length and multi-use trails would be installed at bike trail connections. The sidewalk would be widened to 2.3m the entire length.

View attachment 312098

East of Morningside, because of space constraints, it could be two lanes tightly but I decided there would be one car lane per direction. This encourages regional traffic flow through to Kingston Rd. and reinforces Lawrence east of Morningside as a local route and reduces reliance on motor vehicles. It also allows space for cycle tracks and widened sidewalks along the entire length. Lawrence Ave is a key corridor for cycling potential. (It helps that the councillors in this section is accepting of cycling infrastructure and lane reductions)

View attachment 312103

The project can also easily be converted to LRT in the long-term. It'll be great, and is something that can easily be obtained. It would also be a super-affordable option.

(The greater network)
View attachment 312161
I really like this as someone who has endured the crowded crazy 54 everyday for years. My only nitpick is McMorrow-Atkinson makes no real sense as a stop (there isnt even a Stop there now). The stop at Bennet road just two streets sees decent use due to the plaza and two elementary schools it serves. Also i cant really tell but it looks like your wexford stop isn’t actually at pharmacy (which would make the most sense) but that may just be cus pharmacy is hidden on the base map.

Also i cant really tell but it looks like your wexford stop isn’t actually at pharmacy (which would make the most sense) but that may just be cus pharmacy is hidden on the base map.
If I'm not mistaken, this map was made using BrandNewSubway, which uses map data that doesn't designate every collector road at this zoom level. That includes Pharmacy, McNicoll/Cummer, and parts of King and Queen downtown.

28 stops for a 20km route is not unreasonable. I would skip the expense of red paint and just use some signs, maybe flexi posts and camera enforcement. Entering bus lane = $150 fine.

You could use the same corridor to run more express service if needed. An interesting thing to think about is how V2V communication could enable more sophisticated express/local operations using the oncoming BRTlane for overtaking stopping service, or perhaps exploiting traffic signals.

If I'm not mistaken, this map was made using BrandNewSubway, which uses map data that doesn't designate every collector road at this zoom level. That includes Pharmacy, McNicoll/Cummer, and parts of King and Queen downtown.
Is it just me or is that website not working lately?

Final revisions to my fantasy map. Note the focus on equity, with strong transit grids in the north-west and north-east of the city. I also incorporated the future GO RER network and removed my previously proposed Dufferin LRT line which should see lots of demand shift onto GO RER once frequent service is enabled between Line 1, 2, and 5. Note that the brown (407 Transitway) and pink (427-Kipling) lines would be BRT.

Other BRT lines which could be incorporated in a future phase:
-Lawrence West-Dixon-Airport: Malton GO to Weston GO to Lawrence West Station
-Lawrence East: Donway Station to UTSC
-Dufferin: Wilson Station to Fairbank Station
-Finch East: Seneca College Station to Browns Corners Station
-Islington: Rowntree Mills Station to Richview Station

View attachment 312252
The proposed name for the Barrie Line station at Highway 407 is "Concord".

There has been a lot of talk about the Ontario line not being built to handle enough capacity and how another relief line will eventually be needed. Here is my suggestion, take the "ugly duckling" Richmond Hill line and convert it to a metro line. The line would terminate at Front-Spadina through-run the northernmost platforms of union and have new downtown stops at Cherry, Queen, and Gerrard on the current RH line. The line would cross the Don and use the old CP spur. At bloor there a couple of options:
  • Elevate the line over the rail corridor or DVP to shorten the transfer
  • Elevate the line over the DVP and create a trenched station on the TDSB lands south of Bloor. It would have to be deep enough to dive under line 2 before crossing the DVP elevated and returning to the rail ROW
A repaired half-mile bridge should be easier using lighter metro trains, and then the line can fly-over the CP mainline just North of Leaside station after a connection to the Ontario line. A new bridge over the Don and Eglinton, with Sunnybrook Park station just north of Eglinton. The line would ideally stay at grade using the leaside spur, but cut and cover could be a fairly cheap compromise that allows locals to keep their multi-use trail. There are definitely a few issues that will have to be worked out north of Steeles, with sharing the CN ROW, but I don't want to get too deep into those.

1618958419268.png

I mentioned the other day that my vision of the Ontario Line extensions is a bit different than most I've seen, so here's some illustrations broken up into what I could see as a reasonable staging plan.

Stage 1 (East)
1619837904970.png

Stage 2a

1619837918154.png

Stage 2b
I'm torn on this; there is real appeal to me of either the approach I show here or doing an RER line tied into the Don Branch, but ultimately I suspect this version creates better service for more people even if Stage 3 gets somewhat redundant in terms of placing a light metro within the Barrie RER right of way.
1619837930335.png

Stage 3
1619837940448.png

West
I know a lot of folk HATE this, and they aren't exactly wrong. That said, I got to it by trying to apply the design philosophy of the core Ontario Line to a western extension and do see meaningful benefits. In any case, altering it to tunnels more directly following road right of ways doesn't really change the strategic purpose of the line if an elevated ROW at Parkside and north of CP Crosstown (along with better geometry for the Sunnyside curve) don't convince you.
1619838137004.png

Overall

Since I did include a couple light rail lines in my original post here's an overall context view with those included
1619838460022.png

and finally, I'll note that whatever one thinks of the value of going south to Long Branch (or my musings on using this alignment for a Mississauga/Union Tram-Train), I definitely think an Obico streetcar link is an easy sell once you're doing a Queensway LRT
1619838590262.png

Last edited:
All the way to Newmarket seems like overkill! I do think this is something to branch OL to go to Markham and Richmond Hill, though.

All the way to Newmarket seems like overkill! I do think this is something to branch OL to go to Markham and Richmond Hill, though.
In principle I agree, but I see a lot of benefit to linking the corridors, at which point Newmarket seems worthwhile. Aurora is absolutely the better terminal for an austerity minded project.

And if you're thinking in terms of preserving mainline compatible service on the Richmond Hill line I have doubts about the usefulness of going north of Sheppard at all. Oriole/Leslie is a perfectly acceptable interchange, and this design would eliminate what would amount to the only example of rapid transit service branching in the GTA.

I mentioned the other day that my vision of the Ontario Line extensions is a bit different than most I've seen, so here's some illustrations broken up into what I could see as a reasonable staging plan.

Stage 1 (East)
View attachment 316268
Stage 2a

View attachment 316269
Stage 2b
I'm torn on this; there is real appeal to me of either the approach I show here or doing an RER line tied into the Don Branch, but ultimately I suspect this version creates better service for more people even if Stage 3 gets somewhat redundant in terms of placing a light metro within the Barrie RER right of way.
View attachment 316270
Stage 3
View attachment 316271
West
I know a lot of folk HATE this, and they aren't exactly wrong. That said, I got to it by trying to apply the design philosophy of the core Ontario Line to a western extension and do see meaningful benefits. In any case, altering it to tunnels more directly following road right of ways doesn't really change the strategic purpose of the line if an elevated ROW at Parkside and north of CP Crosstown (along with better geometry for the Sunnyside curve) don't convince you.
View attachment 316272

Overall

Since I did include a couple light rail lines in my original post here's an overall context view with those included
View attachment 316273
and finally, I'll note that whatever one thinks of the value of going south to Long Branch (or my musings on using this alignment for a Mississauga/Union Tram-Train), I definitely think an Obico streetcar link is an easy sell once you're doing a Queensway LRT
View attachment 316274
I get why you'd want to use the Richmond Hill corridor to Leslie, but since you're turning up to Seneca anyways, I think it makes far more sense to stay elevated above Don Mills to Sheppard and then to finch just to hit the higher density along with don mills. There's definitely room for an elevated structure through that whole area. Once you get to the hydro corridor you could turn one branch west to meet up with the GO corridor at Old Cummer, and have another branch head east to Markham as you showed.

This sort of thing could be ideal for Highway 27 from Kipling to the Airport, and perhaps south to Long Branch via Humber College.

With the rubber wheels on wood version that requires a lot less maintenance, and with its upside down tight curves which won’t make you dizzy.

Not sure it needs to be suspended. Could just use conventional elevated guideway with conventional rolling stock.

Back