News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 563     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 854     0 

How to get Canada's oil to export markets?

Kenney faces headache and humiliation as Biden prepares to kill Keystone XL​

I'd say Kenny's only direction now is to work with BC, Ottawa and the First Nations to get a pipeline to the Pacific. Of course, with the end of oil, perhaps he should be investing in a battery factory.

He already have it - it's the Feds owned Transmountain currently under construction.

AoD

Kenney faces headache and humiliation as Biden prepares to kill Keystone XL​

I'd say Kenny's only direction now is to work with BC, Ottawa and the First Nations to get a pipeline to the Pacific. Of course, with the end of oil, perhaps he should be investing in a battery factory.

Pro-active economic diversification has never been Alberta's strong point.

Nor, apparently, is husbanding their carbon-derived sovereign wealth fund.

Nor, apparently, is husbanding their carbon-derived sovereign wealth fund.

Zero PST got to come from somewhere. Only this time, the chicken is coming home to roost - for good.

AoD

Petronations such as Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Qatar are investing heavily in tourism. Edmonton can have West Edmonton Mall expanded to become a major tourist destination with indoor theme parks that rival the likes of Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Universal, and Disney.

He already have it - it's the Feds owned Transmountain currently under construction.

AoD

That was a needless bail out of a foreign-owned business more than anything.

The story has always been the same.

When we extract a resource, any resource (mined minerals, oil, gas, or wood/forestry) we ought to do the value-added work in this country.

We ought to refine, process, mill, manufacture, smelter, etc etc.

We also ought to capture a material portion of the proceeds for the state.

Then invest that money wisely for the future, as with the Norwegians never allowing ourselves to spend more than 4% (and that, only if the fund has a greater ROI than that, which fully covers inflation, at the very least)

Canada and Alberta have made next to no lasting profits off the oil sands.

Between the vast upfront subsidies, the subsides for clean-up costs; and the subsidies that have expanded/twinned the highway to Ft. Mac and expanded its hospitals and schools (which would not have been necessary had we extracted at a more moderate, consistent pace, like Norway)...........and the very low royalties.............I'm not sure we're not in the red on the entire sector.

Last edited:
On the subject of diversification, Alberta has a lot of the tools so to speak to embrace a 1/2 dozen major sectors.

It can be at the forefront of energy (oil/gas/wind/solar); it can be a large player in Agriculture, particularly, Wheat and Beef, It can have a significant tourism sector, anchored by Banff/Jasper with hiking, white water rafting, skiing etc., and can also play in other sectors made possible by a relatively well educated, urban, diverse population.

Its not so much out of balance because those other things don't exist or require vast sums of public money, but rather because of over-emphasis and gratuitous money poured into the Oil Sands.

Petronations such as Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Qatar are investing heavily in tourism. Edmonton can have West Edmonton Mall expanded to become a major tourist destination with indoor theme parks that rival the likes of Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Universal, and Disney.

I doubt such a gimmick would attract international travelers to "Deadmonton"...

Zero PST got to come from somewhere. Only this time, the chicken is coming home to roost - for good.

AoD

Hmmm, are you saying that after so many years of entitled bellyaching and secession threats aimed at Eastern Canada while the oil was flowing that Wexit is DOA once Alberta permanently becomes a have-not province (if it isn't already)??

I doubt such a gimmick would attract international travelers to "Deadmonton"...

Not everywhere can be a huge tourist attraction.

Within AB, Calgary has the relative advantage, by being much closer to the Mountains (Banff); relative to Edmonton (Jasper).

Calgary through the Stampede (not a big fan, but it is a thing) has cultivated an association w/ 'The West' and cowboys etc. moreso than Edmonton, and that would appeal to some.

To the extent Edmonton would have material tourism from outside Canada, its draw is Jasper. A connection worth cultivating, to a point. But one doesn't wish to over-grow/over-run Jasper, nor oversell any economic dividend therefrom.

Hmmm, are you saying that after so many years of entitled bellyaching and secession threats aimed at Eastern Canada while the oil was flowing that Wexit is DOA once Alberta permanently becomes a have-not province (if it isn't already)??

The problems w/AB are of course not those of ALL Albertans; but there is an influential group there have effected its politics for a very long time.........

Over the next two decades, from 1900-1915 approximately
82,000 Americans arrived in the province, and by 1916 those of American birth constituted nearly 19% of the total population.

From: https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca...topresent/settlement/american_settlement.html

Worth adding here, I'm not deriding all Americans, then or now.

Rather, I'm noting this particular group...........was largely composed of 'free landers'....

A group that wanted to be self-reliant, with a government hand-out in the form of free land.

Or, as I like to call people who oppose government handouts except when have their hand in the government's pocket................hypocrites.

Last edited:
The problems w/AB are of course not those of ALL Albertans; but there is an influential group there have effected its politics for a very long time.........

Over the next two decades, from 1900-1915 approximately
82,000 Americans arrived in the province, and by 1916 those of American birth constituted nearly 19% of the total population.

From: https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca...topresent/settlement/american_settlement.html

Worth adding here, I'm not deriding all Americans, then or now.

Rather, I'm noting this particular group...........was largely composed of 'free landers'....

A group that wanted to be self-reliant, with a government hand-out in the form of freeland.

Or, as I like to call people who oppose government handouts except when have their hand in the government's pocket................hypocrites.

Fascinating factoid - I've often wondered why Alberta behaves like the "Texas of Canada", and this certainly could add some insight...

AoD

It wasn't just Alberta that benefited. Our federal government got a nice boon from resource exploitation that we've arguably squandered too. Albeit, not as badly as AB....

That was a needless bail out of a foreign-owned business more than anything.

The story has always been the same.

When we extract a resource, any resource (mined minerals, oil, gas, or wood/forestry) we ought to do the value-added work in this country.

We ought to refine, process, mill, manufacture, smelter, etc etc.

We also ought to capture a material portion of the proceeds for the state.

Then invest that money wisely for the future, as with the Norwegians never allowing ourselves to spend more than 4% (and that, only if the fund has a greater ROI than that, which fully covers inflation, at the very least)

Canada and Alberta have made next to no lasting profits off the oil sands.

Between the vast upfront subsidies, the subsides for clean-up costs; and the subsidies that have expanded/twinned the highway to Ft. Mac and expanded its hospitals and schools (which would not have been necessary had we extracted at a more moderate, consistent pace, like Norway)...........and the very low royalties.............I'm not sure we're not in the red on the entire sector.

Well, I for one am not against Federal government ownership of an asset of national importance.

AoD

Back