News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.2K     9 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Jack Astor's is now open along with their rooftop patio. You can make out the palms in this picture.

2485705438_cb1e1a3344_o.jpg

I've been out of town for the last year, so last night was the first time that I've seen TLS in all its glory. Perhaps the hundreds of pages of bitching lowered my expectations, but I found the whole scene overwhelming. For an environment like that, it's the spectacle that matters; not the architecture.

It definitely isn't a Times Square or Piccadilly but why does it have to be? The same people who are complaining about how shoddy TLS is compared to its counterparts are the same people who complain about how Toronto is constantly being compared to other cities.

The fact is we don't have anything else like it in all of Toronto, and as a Torontonian, that alone is enough to satisfy me. I'd really love an aquarium in Toronto too, and if/when they build one I'm not gonna sulk if it isn't the best aquarium in the world. I'll be happy that we're building one at all because most cities don't have one period.

Whenever I read this thread the first thing that pops into my mind is those teen girls on MTV's Sweet Sixteen who get an Acura for their birthday instead of a Mercedes and cry and moan about it.

Whenever I read this thread the first thing that pops into my mind is those teen girls on MTV's Sweet Sixteen who get an Acura for their birthday instead of a Mercedes and cry and moan about it.

An Acura? To go with the theatre, more like an AMC. A Gremlin, or a Pacer, or...

The fact is we don't have anything else like it in all of Toronto, and as a Torontonian, that alone is enough to satisfy me.

What is so unique about it? The utilitarian fixtures? Being festooned with large advertisements? The presence of Starbucks?

^It's uniquely c.1970-2008 Toronto crap. But, instead of whining about it here, we should go for drinks with the penequity execs that made all the decisions!

I find TLS a very dated response to the Eaton Centre: the concept of a large urban indoor mall is very 70's or 80's don't ya think? I can see neither existing 40 years from now.

What is so unique about it?

4300 posts, 308,000 page views sets it apart from the other projects on this board.

Unique to Toronto, no but the idea was a first for Toronto ( just took them 10 years to make it real), and then that same idea was merged into the Eaton Centre's north Entrance renovation and into the Atrium on Bay's renovation facing Dundas & Yonge. - Brookfield at the time, and Cadillac Fairview must have seen some merit in the idea, otherwise they wouldn't have lobbied the city to make it a reality. Of course the idea morphed somewhere along the line into a Toronto verison of Times Square....

We should do a poll and ask how many people would like to bring back the Foriegn exchange Bakery, Rockwell Jeans, The Harvey's and The infamous "Yonge Street Mall". - When I was in school, all I knew was that this intersection royally sucked. And trust me I was no A student. I'm still not an A student, but this intersection is now miles better than anything I personally could have hoped for. - Maybe it's just because I knew how bad it was before and anything would be an improvement over how it had been set up previously.

4300 posts, 308,000 page views sets it apart from the other projects on this board.

Considering how long it was delayed is there any surprise to this?

What is so unique about it? The utilitarian fixtures? Being festooned with large advertisements? The presence of Starbucks?

Unique because there is no other square with the same pure commercial grandeur in all of Toronto. Unique because no other intersection in the city offer the same spectacle. The spectacle is what this thing is about - not fixtures.

Maybe it's not even an Acura. Maybe it is a Gremlin. But I'd rather have a Gremlin than no car at all. We seem to have a wicked sense of entitlement. Perhaps it's all that "world-class" talk.

I've been out of town for the last year, so last night was the first time that I've seen TLS in all its glory. Perhaps the hundreds of pages of bitching lowered my expectations, but I found the whole scene overwhelming. For an environment like that, it's the spectacle that matters; not the architecture.

It definitely isn't a Times Square or Piccadilly but why does it have to be? The same people who are complaining about how shoddy TLS is compared to its counterparts are the same people who complain about how Toronto is constantly being compared to other cities.

The fact is we don't have anything else like it in all of Toronto, and as a Torontonian, that alone is enough to satisfy me. I'd really love an aquarium in Toronto too, and if/when they build one I'm not gonna sulk if it isn't the best aquarium in the world. I'll be happy that we're building one at all because most cities don't have one period.

ha! the defeatist attitute I was talking about, 'We can't compete with other cities' or 'Let's not compare with other cities, let us live in our own world, so we can always say our city is the best'

Really, this kinda attitude why Toronto has been a mediocre city for the last 40 years. While other world-class cities have no problem to admit 'Yes, we're behind, we're gonna look at other cities who are better and see if we can do our best and compete with them and re-invent ourselves'

ha! the defeatist attitute I was talking about, 'We can't compete with other cities' or 'Let's not compare with other cities, let us live in our own world, so we can always say our city is the best'

First off, where did I say we can't compete with other cities? I asked why we feel the need to compete with other cities in the first place. Are we so freaking insecure?

Sure, we can compete in a million different ways; some good and some bad. New York and London do some things better that Toronto, but guess what? I don't care. I don't live there - I live here. When I walk down the street I think to myself how much I love the city and not how much I wish I was a New Yorker.

Secondly, how can I claim that "our city is the best" if at the same time I'm the one who is not running comparisons? Sure, personally and subjectively I love Toronto, but to even begin to argue that any city is objectively "the best" at some vague metric is absolutely retarded and is a further indication of that insecurity.

Finally, how do I have the defeatist attitude? I'm the one who is celebrating TLS as an accomplishment for Toronto. You're the one who is bitching that we've failed once again. How you can call me defeatist is beyond me.

Your argument is essentially "If in comparing ourselves to other cities we can't declare ourselves the very best at everything, we're just being defeatist!" There are just so many things wrong with that statement.

Toronto the self-loathing.

Back