Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge Commercial | 170.8m | 40s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

The Toronto Star building and the Seneca One Tower in Buffalo have very similar architectural designs, as both are of the International Style:
And both are being defiled...

The generic reclad as a glass tower doesn't impress me (unimaginative and cliched) - maybe keep the punched window bays and use something with colour - like Corten or paint it like CNA Center in Chicago?

AoD
The generic reclad as a glass tower doesn't impress me (unimaginative and cliched) - maybe keep the punched window bays and use something with colour - like Corten or paint it like CNA Center in Chicago?

AoD
would’ve liked to see a re-clad similar to the foresters office at don mills and eglinton. A similar silver colour would compliment the surrounding buildings while also mixing up the walls of blue glass.

Attachments

• 92D9304C-1B66-4399-B2E5-99E97F31A261.png
    92D9304C-1B66-4399-B2E5-99E97F31A261.png
    462.6 KB · Views: 305
And both are being defiled...

Seneca is a little better than what’s happening here to be honest, and it’s grade level was absolutely atrocious. The frontage on 3 sides was block long blank walls.

I wish the “fix” for that was a bit more sympathetic to the original architectural intent though. Instead they went with that standard “inner city brewery chick” type style that dominates new construction in US cities.

Anyone have any insight on the parking here? The development apparently only requires 297 spaces but they are providing 1,112!?

The Planning Justification Report has this to say:

" • The current architectural site plans illustrate the provision of a total of 1,112 parking spaces, including 1,001 spaces within a 6-level underground parking garage (comprised of 795 spaces in Phase 4 and 206 spaces in Phase 5) and 111 spaces on the P2 level beneath Harbour Street. The spaces are proposed to be provided within a commercial parking garage on a shared, non-exclusive basis. The proposed supply exceeds the minimum zoning bylaw requirements. "

I wonder if Pinnacle is planning on just building these to operate as a commercial use? They have a large amount of commercial parking in the Pinnacle Centre across the street that they built for that reason as well I believe..

Last edited:
I am not really sure why they decided to keep that ugly Toronto Star building. Should have demolished it and built something new.

Mississauga is building the Exchange Tower complex. They demolished a similarly ugly looking brutalist 1970's relic and are building fresh.

I am not really sure why they decided to keep that ugly Toronto Star building. Should have demolished it and built something new.

Mississauga is building the Exchange Tower complex. They demolished a similarly ugly looking brutalist 1970's relic and are building fresh.
The building will have an addition on top and all new cladding, this is part of phase 4 and 5 Pinnacle Commercial.

Absolutely not - that's pretty much a historical building now, We need to stop tearing down our history.

To be fair, once the rebuild is complete, the Toronto Star building will look so different that it will be barely recognizable - almost like the old office building at University & Dundas that’s now an office/condo mix development. There must be other reasons for saving it than mere sentimentality - perhaps lower costs or less environmental impact. Anyway, shouldn’t discussions about the commercial section of One Yonge be moved to the appropriate thread?

Back