News   May 10, 2024
 83     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 347     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
March 24

2358132421_b6db11d9cf_b.jpg

2358134049_c733c7c35f_b.jpg

Chris Hume likes it. B+.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/347600

Condo critic

ONE ST. THOMAS: The nicely detailed exercise in nostalgia makes all the right moves. It harkens back to a time – the 1920s and `30s – when utility and elegance co-existed happily. With its setbacks, wedding cake proportions and urban sensibility, it belongs with that small handful of buildings designed to be part of something larger, namely a city. Though feminine, it has a robust and assertive style. It wants to be beautiful, and demands our admiration, which is hard to withhold. Whether it has any relationship to the architecture of our time is an open question. On the other hand, if we're going to indulge our hunger for the past, we might as well do it at the highest level. This is definitely not one of those marketing-department driven kitsch condos of which Toronto has a surfeit. It is much too well done for that. The proportions, the play between black and white, the placement of the windows, the balconies, the setbacks and way the building meets the street are models of sophistication. Nice, too, is the fact the entrance is not on the street but kept apart.

GRADE: B+

I generally don't like this faux-ish style but this one was done well. I really like how it turned out.

Sweet spaces, and a great balcony. I'm surprised for a project of this calibre that there are so many bulkheads.

Pretty sad interiors, really, considering how much these suckers are getting soaked for - that lonely, mismatched little fireplace for instance, the clunky kitchen cabinetry, the beige hell bathroom ...

Actually the amount of bulkhead is probably a sign of it being higher end product. Lower end would just bulkhead out randomly where the forced air required it. Here they have gone to the trouble of creating full perimeter bulkheads.

The balcony may just be the best thing about the suite. I was rather surprised as well as how underwhelming it was for 3-4 million dollars worth.

What's an interior - its an open space. Empty by definition. What would you expect from an empty room? The ceiling looks high enough around at least 10'; floor looks like some kind of walnut; mouldings are classical, coffers could be worked with. Looks as good as any unfurnished room could IMO.

Fireplace should've been centered but could look better painted (it looks unfinished). The kitchen isn't hip but imagine a rolly polly matron baking cookies (see US' profile picture).

Perhaps US is missing the shrine to Cher that ought to occupy the living room - or master bedroom?

Back