Mississauga Parkside Village Residences | 135.93m | 45s | Amacon | Richmond Architects

Hey Tuscani, I think you are absolutely right about the location....

Interesting midrise, to me it looks like something Brad Lamb might be marketing on King E...:)

The towers seem ok, but the podium is too busy (and I don't mean busy as in lots of people). There's just too much going on with round and square corners on the same corner, multiple styles of balconies, wide floor-to-ceiling pieces of glass, short pieces of glass and that exterior column looks so out of place. Looking at this hurts my eyes.

I'm still not buying into this urban village idea. The whole development is almost all residential with only ground-floor retail and maybe some small offices as the only form of employment. People living here are still going to be driving there car everywhere because of the lack of employment and decent transit nearby. An urban village would have some sort of transit hub located within it or somewhat nearby (Sq 1 is close but still too far to encourage many people to walk there).

In terms of master planning, Parkside Village is in the same league as CityPlace and will be just as lifeless. Sure, Amacon is at least paying a lot more attention to detail in terms of streetscaping and urban design (ie. more pedestrian friendly) but CityPlace is at least close to employment and entertainment and transit connections. Hell, even Downtown Markham shows more promise than Parkside Village in terms of transit connections (VIVA) and proximity to entertainment (planned piazzas, restaurants, theatres, etc.)

Sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents

Hmm. That rendering does impress me! Makes CP look positively old school suburban!

Now, we the dictatorship of Miss must pass new laws allowing for the flattening of the other 90% of Peel Region that is craptacular. Build in small blocks henceforth.

Anyone know who the architect is?

That's definitely a step up for MCC. Nice looking building and seems to work the street in a good way. Hope the sidewalks aren't too wide.

Bay Street's problems are not because of wide sidewalks. Some of the best streets in New York and Chicago have very wide sidewalks. If anything, our sidewalks, on streets like Yonge, are much too narrow.

Agreed. It was just an observation. In a mileu like Mister/Mississauga... wide sidewalks may be a foe not a friend. An instant "urban village" in a suburb may require a very special brew to succeed. I suspect that wide open spaces (including sidewalks) may not be part of the success/aspirations.

Critical mass 101.

That's an amazing render. The base reminds me of One City Hall in Toronto mixed with Northshore Condos in Mississauga.
I am very curious what they have in mind as a new urban village though. As others have pointed out, you can't just have people living in an urban village, you need them working and eating and being entertained there as well.

Square One is definitely not too far to walk to from Parkside Village as one person suggested. It's a 5 minute walk.
Transit is an issue though. The bus terminal would be about a 15 min walk, which isn't too bad, but in the Winter that is very bad.

Let's please step away from comparing Parkside Village with CityPlace or as someone else suggested with a future "downtown Markham".

A better comparison would be Concord's Parkplace North or whatever it is called south of Sheppard Ave and North of the 401.

For all the Mississauga haters, this is clearly one of the best master planned communities in the GTA. In my opinion Amacon has been very mindful of planning for an urban development in Mississauga City Centre.

Long before this first phase was even launched, AMACON has shown its commitment by co-funding the Placemaking plan for the City Centre. As a result three new urban parks has been thoughtfully planned for the future, along with one major exiting community park will be redevelopment, ensuring that these will be well designed, active, and used public spaces.

Bike lanes are already in place along Confederation Parkway, the City Centre shuttle was reintroduced, and the new bridge over the 403 will be pedestrian and bike friendly.

Residents of Parkside will be within spitting distance of Square One, the Living Arts Centre, Central Library, YMCA, the coliseum movie theatres/playdium, existing and growing number of restaurants, 15 major office towers, the Mississauga transit - GO Bus terminal, BRT station to take them to the subway or the massive airport coporate employment centre, the new hotel/convention centre, existing schools, a future campus of the University of Waterloo and maybe Sheridan College, and a planned new farmers market and art gallery.

Louroz

Hell, even Downtown Markham shows more promise than Parkside Village in terms of transit connections (VIVA)

MT service in MCC is not great but it is far superior to YRT service in Markham Centre for sure....

For all the Mississauga haters, this is clearly one of the best master planned communities in the GTA.

Even if it is extremely well-planned, it would likely still have the atmosphere master-planned community and that is the real issue. I think that's the problem with MCC as a whole really: too many multi-tower projects. A single-tower project like Widesuites across the street from the huge Kaneff projects is like a breath of fresh air....

Back