Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

There's two public consultations happening according the recent InTransit.

Following the signing of the contribution agreements for
Mississauga’s Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project by Mayor
McCallion and the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of
Finance; the project is finally ready to move ahead.
Public Information Centres are planned and this is your
opportunity to learn about the new Mississauga busway, a
two-lane bus-only roadway for both Mississauga and GO
Transit buses that will run along the Highway 403, Eastgate
Parkway, and Eglinton Avenue corridors.
At these sessions you can:
• view designs • submit comments or suggestions
• learn how it will work

Tuesday, April 8th – 6-9 p.m.
South Common Community Centre
2233 South Millway (beside South Common Mall at
Burnhamthorpe and Erin Mills Parkway)

Wednesday, April 9th – 6-9 p.m.
Noel Ryan Auditorium
301 Burnhamthorpe Road (at the Central Library)

If the discussion goes beyond "one system, one fare" then the discussion is going in the wrong direction, in my opinion.
I disagree - why should I pay the same to travel 1 to 1.5 hours on transit, as I do to go 5 stops on a 3-minute ride to get groceries?

I disagree - why should I pay the same to travel 1 to 1.5 hours on transit, as I do to go 5 stops on a 3-minute ride to get groceries?

What I meant was that a Mississauga Transit rider should not have to pay an extra fare to use the transitway over their regular mixed-traffic bus fare - just like YRT riders can transfer to and from VIVA without paying anything extra.

YRT/VIVA is one system, one fare. So should MT/Transitway

What I meant was that a Mississauga Transit rider should not have to pay an extra fare to use the transitway over their regular mixed-traffic bus fare - just like YRT riders can transfer to and from VIVA without paying anything extra.

YRT/VIVA is one system, one fare. So should MT/Transitway

Agreed.

I hope the province comes through on its rumour and makes public transit a provincial responsibility. Have one transit system run by the province. The current one in mississauga will never work. Buses are proven to be ineffective. They can only travel as fast as the slow cars in front of them. I've been calling for a subway for years and I will continue to do so.

As for the condominiums popping up all around the SQ1 area, they need to designed with store front units on the ground level. Only 1 condominium on the west side of square one currently has that in place. the rest of them are useless towers. It makes you wonder who got paid off to allow these units to rise up. What sort of mentality guides the planning department.

What sort of mentality guided the planning department.

Those buildings without retail were built at a time when car was king. The suburban mindset ran through planners everywhere in N.A. Every new building in the city centre now has retail coming on the ground floor. Even some of the older buildings on Kariya have retail at their base.

gmac, I'm not sure where you are getting your information. Look at existing buildings on Enfield and Kariya, as well as the newer ones built and being built in the City Centre along the south side of Burnhamthorpe at Duke of York, and on Living Arts Drive. Street-level retailing is there, and a good deal more is coming.

As for the condominiums popping up all around the SQ1 area, they need to designed with store front units on the ground level. Only 1 condominium on the west side of square one currently has that in place. the rest of them are useless towers. It makes you wonder who got paid off to allow these units to rise up. What sort of mentality guides the planning department.

What does it matter to mass transit infrastructure that there's storefront units in condos? Square One with every possible amenity imaginable is right there in proximity. We don't don't need to overload the area with an incessant ad space venue for chain stores, 5 McDonald's in a 500 yard radius, etc.

But back on point, the MT transitway would largely route along the industrial areas around Eglinton in east 'Sauga. Hence speed and reliability should be on par with your standard BRT system. A subway to Square One would do even less for street life in MCC than BRT would, since stores' potential customer base would be funneled underground, not in view of condofront shops, to a station which would exit directly into Mississauga's largest shopping centre.

What does it matter to mass transit infrastructure that there's storefront units in condos? Square One with every possible amenity imaginable is right there in proximity. We don't don't need to overload the area with an incessant ad space venue for chain stores, 5 McDonald's in a 500 yard radius, etc.

But back on point, the MT transitway would largely route along the industrial areas around Eglinton in east 'Sauga. Hence speed and reliability should be on par with your standard BRT system. A subway to Square One would do even less for street life in MCC than BRT would, since stores' potential customer base would be funneled underground, not in view of condofront shops, to a station which would exit directly into Mississauga's largest shopping centre.

Great point! I never thought of that.

I hope the province comes through on its rumour and makes public transit a provincial responsibility. Have one transit system run by the province. The current one in mississauga will never work. Buses are proven to be ineffective. They can only travel as fast as the slow cars in front of them. I've been calling for a subway for years and I will continue to do so.

Bang on, at least on one topic.

Subway to the MCC would bring huge benefits to the MCC area.

Back