News   May 10, 2024
 981     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 

Officially Unofficial Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan Thread

Ever been on the Sheppard subway? The stations are genuinely palatial.
I use it frequently - my office is near Leslie and Shepherd. Compared to most other TTC stations, they may appear to be palatial, but only because the others are so totally undersized. Compared to modern (post-1960) subway stations in many other cities, they seem very moderate.

"By definition not be a subway"...sure you don't want to rethink that one?
A subway is an underground tunnel. (as in a pedestrian subway). We use subways for metro lines that are primarily underground. But when you start building the entire thing above ground, it's not a subway - it's an El, or a Skytrain - not a subway.

The RT has been a terrible failure...why would it be better to have more of it? A DRL would have ridership beyond what the RT could handle, anyway.
The RT has been such a huge success, that they need to add capacity. The current RT has a capacity of 4,000 pphpd. After the rebuild it would 8,000 with the ability to bring it up to about 14,000. And it's faster than the subway. But that's fine for Scarborough, or suburbia. A DRL would have to be subway or RER-like equipment. Perhaps the biggest problem with the SRT is the route. If the entire Shepherd line had been build with SRT technology in tunnel, we'd have had cheaper tunnelling costs, faster trains, and likely a longer subway that currently there now.

Don Mills station is also overbuilt.
Perhaps for right now - but I'm sure in 50, or 100 years, it will still be there, and will be a major interchange between 2 lines. At that time, it will be quite reasonable. Shame they hadn't overbuilt Yonge, or Union, or St. George (though it's criminal they didn't overbuild St. George ... they knew that was going to be a major station).

Yes, yes, I'm a moronic, hostile troll, and you are a martyr of calm and reason.
I am such a martyr :)

???? I have no idea why you interpret this as a Queen subway. The DRL proposal was Pape down to Queen, and then west, bending onto Eastern, the CNR, and Front. I simply was following the existing route. Obviously from Pape/Queen the alignment follows the DLR proposal, along Eastern, the CNR, and Front to Spadina - after which there wasn't a firm proposal for the later phase. I don't understand the need for such nit-picking and obtusity.

You don't understand how I interpreted "down to Queen and over" as a Queen subway? Wow. I get that's not what you mean, but to assume that I should know that is a little ridiculous.

I haven't really seen those discussions. But compared to any other city I'm familiar with, I find TTC mezzanines miniscule, and under-sized. Most shocking is that you have multiple entrances to a station that lead to multiple entry points, resulting in patrons constantly arriving at a station and not being able to get through unmanned entrances. I've not really seen this in other systems, with larger mezzanines.

Miniscule mezzanines? What systems are you talking about? I've travelled a lot of systems, and I've never seen those kinds of mezzanines at minor stations. I just travelled BART a few weeks ago, and its stations just have escalators down to the platform at all but the busiest. LA doesn't have them either. Just small fare collection areas, and then an escalator down to the platforms.

I don't disagree - but where does it end. Sure you need subway from downtown to (say) Pape ... and perhaps even up to (say) Eglinton. But will the load north of Eglinton support subway anytime soon? Perhaps? North of Lawrence? Maybe. North of Sheppard? North of Steeles? Where does it end? Your not going to build a subway from Queen to Newmarket in one shot. Somewhere you need to transition the technology, so you don't end up with the bulk of the km, using some totally oversized system. SRT is nice, as it moves faster than subway - but it does seem a bit of waste of technology, and you'd likely have to transition again somewhere. LRT is easier - isn't such an issue when 20 or 40 years in the future someone tunnels subway beneath a few kilometres of it. Where does the subway transition to LRT? I don't know ... Pape? Eglinton? O'Connor?

Where does it end is a pretty strange argument for opposing a project. It ends where it ends. Either where it's no longer affordable, or where it's no longer needed. I'm not a one-man research team, but I'd imagine that it could be successful all the way up to Finch, where there's a busy bus route and large college.

If so, I'll shut up - I thought I'd seen suggestions to that effect. The unnecessary "Transfer City" comments by some suggest otherwise.

Where did you see these suggestions? Scarberiankhatru has championed the Transfer City moniker, a very apt one for a system which would require a subway, a streetcar, and a bus just to get from Scarborough to North York Centres. It's all about the bizarre and poorly-designed network in Scarborough that doesn't meet riders' needs.

I'll stay out of Morningside - I'm the first to admit I don't know the area well enough - and if it makes more sense to spend the money on Kipling, Bathurst, or Dufferin then I'm all in favour. But building a subway to STC doesn't replace an RT extension. It replaces the RT - you still need something else to replace the extension. If your going to bother to build the subway all the way to STC, isn't one more stop to get away from your node a good thing?

I know you're never going to read this, so I can pretty much say whatever I want (Robot Hamster Dishwasher Robot Hamster Dishwasher Robot Hamster Dishwasher), but as we've said a hundred times, the RT extension is useless. There's nothing at Markham and Sheppard that merits an expensive rapid transit route. Centennial College is often mentioned as a major destination, but the RT stop would be so far from campus that students actually oppose it -- they much prefer the bus that stops right in front of the building and takes them right to Scarborough Town.

The subway to STC is not going to be marginally more expensive than upgrading the SRT from Kennedy to McCowan. The estimate (in 2006$) for upgrading the SRT ranged from $353 million to $527 million depending if you if you went for 4 or 6-car trains; and how Kennedy got reconstructed. The subway option was $1,220 million - 2.3 to 3.5 times more expensive. This isn't marginally more expensive. And you call my estimates into question?

I've done detailed analyses of the relative costs so many times that I'm not going to do it again. It's the same cost as the renovated RT and its unnecessary extension. The subway would better serve everyone in Scarborough, not just the small percentage around Markham and Sheppard. Even "Malvern," which people seem to claim would benefit from this RT extension, would save only a small amount of time with their earlier connection from bus to RT. They'd be much better served by retaining their direct service to STC, and eliminating the RT and replacing it with a direct subway connection to the rest of the network. Speedy transit could be introduced to the heart of Malvern with a simple Neilson Rocket bus on the 401. Cost: A few hundred grand for signs and paint to indicate shoulder bus lanes. Now, I've said all this a dozen times, but hopefully this time it'll register.

I don't disagree with the benefits of ICTS/Skytrain technology -- Vancouver has built a great network very cheaply -- but Toronto has subways and it operates them very effectively. I can't think of a reason to have two networks with comparable but incompatible technology.

A subway is an underground tunnel. (as in a pedestrian subway). We use subways for metro lines that are primarily underground. But when you start building the entire thing above ground, it's not a subway - it's an El, or a Skytrain - not a subway.

I don't understand the need for such nit-picking and obtusity.

You don't understand how I interpreted "down to Queen and over" as a Queen subway? Wow. I get that's not what you mean, but to assume that I should know that is a little ridiculous.
We've discussed the DRL route, you and I, several times, and we've never differed on routing. I didn't think I had to list every stop.

Where does it end is a pretty strange argument for opposing a project.
Opposing it? I've never opposed the DRL. It's essential. But it's independant of Transit City - save for the transfer location to the Don Mills line (which presumably would shift over time).

No, of course not. My position is simply that your not going to get subway tunnel for less than $200 million per kilometre. The Spadina extension is $232 million per kilometre in 2006 dollars

The Spadina extension is unnecessarily 100% tunneled and includes, for example, a station at a cemetery. That per/km figure can be slashed by trimming waste and through massive economies of scale that would result from multiple or consecutive projects. There's long outdoor sections on the existing lines and there would be long outdoor sections on any new lines such as Don Mills or Eglinton.

But compared to any other city I'm familiar with, I find TTC mezzanines miniscule, and under-sized. Most shocking is that you have multiple entrances to a station that lead to multiple entry points, resulting in patrons constantly arriving at a station and not being able to get through unmanned entrances. I've not really seen this in other systems, with larger mezzanines.

Undersized? If Sheppard's mezzanines were any bigger, there'd be one long mezzanine from Yonge to Fairview. Wilson station looks like a near-end-game Doom level. Many stations feature healthy walks to the bus bays. You're honestly suggesting that mezzanines should be big enough that any and all entrances feed into one huge underground piazza just so the occasional tourist doesn't get caught at an automatic entrance with cash? Wouldn't it be easier and a million times cheaper to get some kind of smart card?

Where does the subway transition to LRT? I don't know ... Pape? Eglinton? O'Connor?

Where? For one thing, you do not transition to a new technology at an arbitrary point where vehicles are still completely full! If it goes north of Pape, it must go to Sheppard...anything else is, frankly, stupid.

If so, I'll shut up - I thought I'd seen suggestions to that effect. The unnecessary "Transfer City" comments by some suggest otherwise.

Let's follow Johnny on his trip from Malvern to York U. He used to take the Finch bus but he's going to try these new Transfer City lines: Morningside LRT, transfer to Sheppard East LRT, transfer to Sheppard subway, transfer to Yonge line, transfer to Finch West LRT, transfer to Spadina line. The next day, he decides to take the Sheppard West bus or the 196 instead, reducing his transfers from 5 to 4. The next day, he realizes he might as well take the Finch East bus to the Steeles West bus, thereby not using any of Transfer City's lines.

Now, let's follow Johnny's mom on her way to work: Morningside LRT, transfer to Sheppard East LRT, transfer to the RT, transfer to the Danforth subway, transfer to the Yonge subway, wait for the next Yonge subway, wait for the next Yonge subway, wait for the next Yonge subway, get off at Union. The next day, she realizes she can take the Finch East bus to Markham Road and take the GO train downtown in 1/3 the time (Malvern to Summerhill in 15 minutes?), also not using any of Transfer City's lines.

I'll stay out of Morningside - I'm the first to admit I don't know the area well enough. But building a subway to STC doesn't replace an RT extension. It replaces the RT - you still need something else to replace the extension. If your going to bother to build the subway all the way to STC, isn't one more stop to get away from your node a good thing?

The subway to STC is not going to be marginally more expensive than upgrading the SRT from Kennedy to McCowan. The estimate (in 2006$) for upgrading the SRT ranged from $353 million to $527 million depending if you if you went for 4 or 6-car trains; and how Kennedy got reconstructed. The subway option was $1,220 million - 2.3 to 3.5 times more expensive. This isn't marginally more expensive. And you call my estimates into question?

Yes, your estimates are wrong. As has been said many, many times, the reno + extension is the same cost as the subway extension to STC. The thing is, the subway extension serves an area with a population of 300,000-400,000, while the RT extension serves an area with 100,000 people and the Rouge Park. About 20,000 people per day travel between Malvern and STC, many of whom continue on downtown and so would switch to GO were it improved...the Midtown GO line runs right to Markham & Finch, remember. So the RT is being renovated and extended for only 20,000 rides a day, a figure that doesn't deserve rapid transit of any form beyond express buses. Were the subway to be extended for the same price, another 20,000 rides along McCowan and another 30,000+ along Lawrence and Ellesmere would benefit, not to mention only the subway would trigger full development of STC. But I understand that you don't appreciate this, given your admitted lack of on the ground knowledge of Scarborough. For the same reason, I don't comment on Etobicoke or Peel as often as others, deferring to local expertise.

A DRL would have to be subway or RER-like equipment.

Yes, it would, so to answer your question, RT technology wouldn't be better.

Perhaps for right now - but I'm sure in 50, or 100 years, it will still be there, and will be a major interchange between 2 lines. At that time, it will be quite reasonable. Shame they hadn't overbuilt Yonge, or Union, or St. George (though it's criminal they didn't overbuild St. George ... they knew that was going to be a major station).

No, it's overbuilt, featuring too many bus bays and a delightfully long walk to the buses, plus a huge mezzanine.

I'm *obviously* referring to subway technology.

I'd like to see a study on the viability of a system that uses a cost/revenue sharing formula that would integrate taxis with the TTC and GO. Say there were areas where taxis could pick up fares to take to subway stops or mass transit hubs. Part of the taxi fare would be split with the TTC and the passenger would get a partial credit on the mass transit fare. It would be like using taxis as a feeder system into the TTC or regional transit system. Taxi companies might go for it if it increased their volume and they were given a piece of the mass transit pie. Mass transit agencies might like it because there would be fewer buses required particularly along less traveled routes. It seems crazy to have two systems that are competing against each other when, if combined, they might increase the overall mass transit market. (???)

Hamilton has a similar system to serve the airport, some rural areas and select portions of lower stoney creek. Here's how it works:

Coming from the taxi area:

1) Call the cab company for pickup.
2) Pay the taxi driver your bus fare plus a 50 cent premium. The cab driver will give you a transfer.
3) Use the transfer to get onto the bus at the transfer points.

Going to the taxi area:

1) Pay your fare when you board plus 50 cents and ask for a taxi connection.
2) The bus operator gives you a special transfer and calls the taxi.
3) Use the transfer to get into the taxi.

Keep in mind this is a shared taxi, but it seems to get the job done.

Ottawa will call you a taxi to meet the bus late at night, but you have to pay the full taxi fare.

Overall, I think this is a great way to serve less dense areas, and it can be setup in a matter of months while we buy and setup community bus routes.

Another interesting thing is what they do in Vancouver.

West Coast Express commuter rail actually sells travel insurance. If you have to rush home during the midday when the trains aren't running, they will reimburse your taxi fare up to 3 times per year. This is another interesting idea which could prove very popular, especially on the Georgetown line, eh Sean?:D

The Spadina extension is unnecessarily 100% tunneled and includes, for example, a station at a cemetery.
Which is completely irrelevent to the cost per km of tunnel.

That per/km figure can be slashed by trimming waste and through massive economies of scale that would result from multiple or consecutive projects. There's long outdoor sections on the existing lines and there would be long outdoor sections on any new lines such as Don Mills or Eglinton.
Economies of scale? On a subway line? Some perhaps - but how would you get major economies of scale. Don Mills line? Y'all just finished trying to explain to me, how there's no plan for a Don Mills line.

Undersized? If Sheppard's mezzanines were any bigger, there'd be one long mezzanine from Yonge to Fairview.
What, compared to Westminster or Canary Wharf?

Where? For one thing, you do not transition to a new technology at an arbitrary point where vehicles are still completely full! If it goes north of Pape, it must go to Sheppard...anything else is, frankly, stupid.
So how many $billion does that blow?

Let's follow Johnny on his trip from Malvern to York U.
... now that's just crazy talk. Someone from Scarborough getting into York? :) Seriously though - any York student I've known, hasn't been living east of Bayview ... let alone Malvern!

I'm *obviously* referring to subway technology.
Subway technology on concrete pillars down the middle of Don Mills Road. This I have to see ... what's the cost per kilometre of that?

Which is completely irrelevent to the cost per km of tunnel.

But very relevant to the cost per kilometre of subway, which is what we're talking about.

Economies of scale? On a subway line? Some perhaps - but how would you get major economies of scale. Don Mills line? Y'all just finished trying to explain to me, how there's no plan for a Don Mills line.

Wait, what are you talking about? Don Mills? We both support a Don Mills line with subway technology from Finch to Pape, continuing as a Downtown Relief Line. Okay? Clear?

What, compared to Westminster or Canary Wharf?

No, not compared with two of the busiest subway stations in the world. Compared with a station that sees traffic remotely comparable to Leslie or Bessarion.

Not much, since it's elevated! And how ever much it costs, it's worth it, because it would be very heavily used and provide much-needed relief to the Yonge line.

Subway technology on concrete pillars down the middle of Don Mills Road. This I have to see ... what's the cost per kilometre of that?

Don Mills is a perfect corridor for it. I don't know what the cost/km would be. I'd love the TTC to do a study on it. Likely less than $100 million/km.

There's no need to feign additional ignorance. Economies of scale come into play when you're not building like two stations a decade, reinventing the wheel each time. Don Mills is one of the reasonable lines we support that you've confused with lines that no one has proposed, like Morningside or Kingston.

None...it could actually save money by reducing the need for other transit infrastructure east of Yonge. Doady could show you how!

... now that's just crazy talk. Someone from Scarborough getting into York? :) Seriously though - any York student I've known, hasn't been living east of Bayview ... let alone Malvern!

Hey, I know people in Malvern that go to Humber (and I know of one person who goes to UTSC but lives in distant Brampton :)). You've already admitted to knowing little about the area, so it's unlikely you know any people out east, either. It's kinda telling that you have no response to "Transfer City" criticisms and have chosen to take the city's word that everything will work out as planned.

Cheaper than tunneling, that's for sure. It's not like it'd all be elevated or in the medians, anyway, not when there's open space available. Cut and covering would be cheaper than usual, and a good half of Don Mills could be in trenches or at the surface, especially on the west side of the road near York Mills and Eglinton - no covering required. Owners of sites like Celestica could probably even be persuaded to sell a few metre-wide strip of their parking lot for at-grade running...that land would balloon in value to $200 or $300 million once it had prime subway access.

I wasn't aware of the systems you mentioned Redrocket 191. Interesting, so I guess there is some viability to this scheme. Boy, would I love to see a major shakeup at the TTC, Go, etc. These agencies are so full of cobwebs and bureaucratic thinking that they're not capable of thinking creatively. Maybe Metrolinx should solicit grade school students for some fresh ideas.

How about having a Shepherd cake, and eating it too. There was talk at the last TTC meeting that it may be easier to extend the Sheppard subway one more stop, and then build the interchange, rather than trying to build something into Don Mills Station, and then deal with the 404. So here's an idea.

Build the interchange at Victoria Park. Sheppard LRT along Sheppard East. But then leave it that the subway can be expanded eastwards towards STC - but on the south side of 401, and with relatively few stops (and perhap replace the Midland/Ellesmere RT stations, for those that favour the Danforth subway also being extended to STC)

Really annoying trying to read what should be interesting transit threads. All these long posts with a million quotes are hard on the eyes. Can't the three or four of you calm it down a bit?

How about having a Shepherd cake, and eating it too. There was talk at the last TTC meeting that it may be easier to extend the Sheppard subway one more stop, and then build the interchange, rather than trying to build something into Don Mills Station, and then deal with the 404. So here's an idea.

Build the interchange at Victoria Park. Sheppard LRT along Sheppard East. But then leave it that the subway can be expanded eastwards towards STC - but on the south side of 401, and with relatively few stops (and perhap replace the Midland/Ellesmere RT stations, for those that favour the Danforth subway also being extended to STC)

If the TTC is hell-bent on Scarborough Transfer City, I think Sheppard Subway to Vic Park with an easier interchange would be best outcome, as long as the allow the possibility of subway in the future to continue east. Sheppard East and the Morningside section are my biggest beefs with the overall plan, which of course, has some decent to good sections.

If the TTC is hell-bent on Scarborough Transfer City, I think Sheppard Subway to Vic Park with an easier interchange would be best outcome, as long as the allow the possibility of subway in the future to continue east. Sheppard East and the Morningside section are my biggest beefs with the overall plan, which of course, has some decent to good sections.

That I agree with Sean. As much as subway-fans claim pushing their agendas won't cripple available funds for Transit City, we all know the money well will dry up at some point. Heck the VCC extension's been delayed an extra year because Harper's slow to react with financial commitement. Instead of opining these forever-length subways from MCC to SCC and VCC to RHCC, why can't we diversify transit options, emphasis on options as not every corridor singled out for a subway can possibly support one. For far less BRT/LRT works fine. Where the new subways are really needed (Hurontario, downtown Toronto) we're expected to subsist with streetcars. Why priortize hydro/rail corridors when real city centre populations must endure 'good-enough' 10 minute headways on the 501/2/4/5/6 (/12)?

To Victoria Park we'd put routes 10, 22, 22A, 67, 167, 165, 122, 95A within their natural catchment whereby bus commutes are minimized. At this point the 85 bus would be more than adequate for commuters from Agincourt (<10 mins away) while the proximity of the 401 allots highway ROW to Brimnley for the rush crowd. If SCC survived this long without a subway from the northwest it can take solace in at least getting a BD extension down the road linking directly to downtown. Adding on Consumers and Vic Park came to $500 million in 2003 estimates, so picturing that distance times 3 it's easy to see why we should at least get the subway to Scarborough's border but then cut our losses and subway-ize other areas afterwards.

Back