News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

60 Minutes - Health Care Report

Brandon716

Member Bio
Reaction score
On March 2nd 2008, 60 Minutes aired a special on a health program that runs as a charity in the 3rd world. But today, its running in the United States as well.

One recent weekend they opened a weekend of help in Knoxville, Tennessee. The report shows how bad the United States medical system is getting and what kind of crisis the nation is facing. In this instance they helped nearly 1000 people and had to turn over 400 away who were waiting in line. The report is edited, and the full report went onto talk about how people drove in from hundreds of miles away and many many hours.

I'm not sure that a clear majority of people really understand the problem and why we have the "system" we have, and in fact I bet one of the people in this video is likely to have voted for George W. Bush twice even though she complained about not having health care.

Please take a look at the report and comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ9MLCmbCSM

*UPDATE*

You may see the original 60 Minutes report without any editing here:

Test link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/28/60minutes/main3889496.shtml

Video link: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3898008n

Here is a video link of Americans going to Mexico for health care:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3902644n

The report talks about Texas being the state with the most (by percent) without health insurance. 25% of Texans have no health insurance.

For those of you unfamiliar with the health insurance terms in this news clip (the full clip as its discussed), it goes like this.

Each month if you have health insurance, even if its covered by an employer, you pay a monthly premium fee. Some plans are $40 if you have a good employer, some charge $80-150 a month. This is taken out of your paycheck automatically. When you enroll in a plan you cannot unenroll, even if you don't like the plan you are put into. The plan requires you to visit a network of doctors that accept the insurance plan. You do NOT choose your own doctor in a real sense, but most people don't mind if the insurance network has a lot of members and you have some choice within the plan. Usually if you go to an out of network doctor, regardless if its a PPO or HMO plan, they will charge you exhorbitant fees and more than double your deductible.

If you have to purchase insurance on the market if you don't have employer sponsored care, its almost always more expensive. It will usually cost $200-1,000 per month depending on your medical history for coverage.

After paying your monthly premium, you must meet your yearly deductible that starts every calendar year. The standard deductible today is $500, many people are being coerced into a $1,000 deductible. Before insurance coverage even begins to go into effect you must pay $500 or $1,000 of care.

After you pay the premium and you pay the deductible for the year, insurance finally begins coverage. After coverage starts, many insurance plans still have co-insurance fees. Most employers no longer offer fully covered medical care. Co-insurance fees are anywhere between 10% and 50%.

So AFTER paying a premium and the first $500 or $1000 of your medical care for the year, you still will pay 10% to 50% of the fees after insurance starts to pay. So if the service is $1000 and you have a 10% coinsurance its going to charge you $100 out of pocket.

That's how PPO, HMO, and Indemnity plans work in the private market whether employer sponsored or not.

People on lower incomes who make $8-10/hr many times cannot easily afford the $500 out of pocket deductible and then coinsurance AND premiums, so this is the group of insured people who still can't access health care easily. This category is called the underinsured. Many times their deductible is $1000 or more.

Employers who choose to do the right thing are at a market disadvantage. Since government does not handle any responsibility unless its the poor or elderly, the working and middle class work for companies that must compete with one another. When Company A does the right thing and offers $0 deductible insurance (which is increasingly rare today) the company must spend more of its capital on health care, and it puts it at an economic disadvantage in regards to Company B who may be spending far less on health care because they do not offer care or offer much poorer services (like making their workers pay $1000 deductible before coverage starts, with a 20% coinsurance fee).

So Company A who spends and spends is at a market disadvantage and the company is likely to fail competing with the business spending less on health insurance. This is one of the biggest reasons for GM's insolvency in the global marketplace. But, its just one company. It happens across the board. Walmart offers cheaper products because it offers poor benefits, and Costco offers a beefier health insurance program to its employees with higher pay. Costco is at a disadvantage even though its corporate business practices are on a higher ethical standard.

And the list goes on and on...

...and conservative Republicans say government has no significant role to play in this situation.

That was a disturbing piece on 60 Minutes Sunday night.
I remember in the 80's I had to pay half of the OHIP monthly premium, I think it was $14.87 and my company picked up the other half, $14.88. Back then I was in my late teens but I still knew what a good deal that was.
How good we have it here with that menacing monster called "socialized medicine".

Back