News   May 03, 2024
 594     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 368     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 208     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Rogers Television creates new landmark for OMNI Television and Citytv

Quadrangle Architects Limited chosen to design new broadcast facility in Yonge-Dundas Square. Urbacon chosen as construction managers.

For Immediate Release
February 26, 2008

Toronto – Award-winning Toronto architectural firm Quadrangle Architects Limited along with construction management firm Urbacon, have been chosen to design and build the new home for Rogers Television stations OMNI and Citytv in the heart of the city at Yonge-Dundas Square.

In late 2007, Rogers Television secured the rights to the Olympic Spirit building and announced that they would be moving OMNI Television and the newly acquired Citytv to this new location.

Quadrangle’s challenge entails renovating the existing Olympic Spirit building and tower in order to create a memorable presence for OMNI Television and Citytv that breaks through and acts as focal point for the Yonge-Dundas Square.

“We are truly excited about fostering our new relationship with Rogers and OMNI Television and to continue our affiliation with the Citytv brand, which spans more than 25 years and includes projects across Canada and internationally,” said Les Klein, principal of Quadrangle.

“Quadrangle has a long and successful history of working with broadcast facilities including TVO, TFO, CBC and Corus Entertainment,” said Quadrangle principal Ted Shore, who is heading up the project team. “This project provides us with another great opportunity to reinvigorate an important area of Toronto with an interactive community-oriented television station.”

“We realize how important this marquee building is to Rogers and we are thrilled that they have entrusted us with this opportunity,” said Marco Mancini, Urbacon President & CEO. “We look forward to working with Quadrangle Architects to realize this important project and putting the Urbacon stamp as a premium builder on the new structure.”

The building is scheduled for completion in the first quarter of 2009.

I am assuming they were tapped to do the job because of their prior experiences with the CHUM Group- they did the old City building at Queen and John, amongst other broadcasting studios. I think they do some good work and probably wasn't a bad choice for this project.

p5

For reference, Quadrangle built the acclaimed BMW showroom:

bmw_500x392.jpg

This is the best news people hoping to get a signature YDS building could hope for.

For reference, Quadrangle built the acclaimed BMW showroom:

bmw_500x392.jpg

This is the best news people hoping to get a signature YDS building could hope for.

Indeed. And a preview of what's soon to come when a real developer and architect take Metropolis off of the grubby hands of PenEquity.

^I wish. Toronto Life Square is a much more complex building to change.

Torch involved one tenant who was experimental to begin with. TLS is populated with proven brands that will undoubtedly succeed (FutureShop, AMC, Shoppers Drug Mart).

PenEquity stands to gain a lot from TLS and I doubt they'll cut it free. Even if they did, the building is already so messed up from its root (i.e. small passageways into FutureShop's lunch room) that little could be done even if a well wishing developer were to take over.

^I wish. Toronto Life Square is a much more complex building to change.

Torch involved one tenant who was experimental to begin with. TLS is populated with proven brands that will undoubtedly succeed (FutureShop, AMC, Shoppers Drug Mart).

PenEquity stands to gain a lot from TLS and I doubt they'll cut it free. Even if they did, the building is already so messed up from its root (i.e. small passageways into FutureShop's lunch room) that little could be done even if a well wishing developer were to take over.

Is it?

New cladding could do wonders.

This is great news though. Considering the completion date we should be seeing some renderings soon.

I'm not saying they can't change anything, I'm just saying that the worst part -- the interior configuration -- has made things very complicated to improve. Aside from that, PenEquity will actually do well with this property so unlike Torch, they have no reason to sell it.

The interior of TLS of course affects its exterior. A good example is how those narrow halls between the Yonge + Dundas module and the Ryerson Garage module have reduced the ability for a tenant to use the latter properly. The result is a lunch room overlooking Yonge Dundas Square. You can't improve that with cladding.

I'm not saying they can't change anything, I'm just saying that the worst part -- the interior configuration -- has made things very complicated to improve. Aside from that, PenEquity will actually do well with this property so unlike Torch, they have no reason to sell it.

The interior of TLS of course affects its exterior. A good example is how those narrow halls between the Yonge + Dundas module and the Ryerson Garage module have reduced the ability for a tenant to use the latter properly. The result is a lunch room overlooking Yonge Dundas Square. You can't improve that with cladding.

I thought you were referring to the outside. I agree the interior layout leaves something to be desired.

It could certainly be fixed, though I agree it probably would be a while before anyone sees it as a wise investment.

The exterior could be fixed up pretty easily, IMO.

It would be great to see a Ned Kahn installed on the north facing facade of TLS.. imagine walking down yonge.. or anywhere around Dundas square for that matter..

Back