Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
looks like mr. magic mormon underpants is out of the race and in the hole $35mil.

=======================================

Mitt Romney leaves GOP race

February 07, 2008
Tim Harper
Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON – Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney dropped out of the bruising Republican presidential race today, effectively ceding the nomination to Arizona Senator John McCain.

Romney will make the announcement at a conference of conservative activists here, ending a fruitless bid for the presidency which cost him $35 million (U.S.) of his own fortune.

“If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win,’’ he told the Conservative Political Action Conference, according to prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press.

“In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.’’

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee remains in the race, but he has largely aligned himself with McCain in this race and has little appeal to party activists outside the south.

Many have speculated that Huckabee has been campaigning for the vice-presidential nod on the Republican ticket.

Romney was facing the reality of arithmetic.

Following Super Tuesday, he had fallen too far behind McCain in the search for delegates and would only prolong the inevitable had he remained in the hunt for another month or so before McCain officially won the nomination.

McCain, the 71-year-old former prisoner of war and longtime senator, inherits a fractious party which many observers believe is more divided than at any time in the past generation as it looks past eight years of George W. Bush.

McCain has had to fight off a litany of detractors in the conservative base, driven by right-wing radio hosts, who accuse him of being too liberal to lead the party.

McCain will attempt to reach out to the party base at the same venue later this afternoon.

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/301425

“In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.’’

Interesting. So Obama and Clinton are to be equated with a surrender to terror?

I know Hillary can rub people the wrong way, and Obama's middle name is Hussein, but me thinks the Mitten Man has gone overboard.

I know Hillary can rub people the wrong way, and Obama's middle name is Hussein, but me thinks the Mitten Man has gone overboard.

reductio ad jihadium?

Nah, Romney is your AVERAGE Republican. They've been calling Democrats (and for that matter Canadians) terrorists for years. LOL

Yeah, so the Republicans could've gone from a Moron to a Mormon. I guess, then, it'll be a Mmormon in 2012, a Mmormmon in 2016, etc.

On top of that, Mitt vs Hillary would've been like Mormon vs Gorgon...

Yeah, so the Republicans could've gone from a Moron to a Mormon. I guess, then, it'll be a Mmormon in 2012, a Mmormmon in 2016, etc.

On top of that, Mitt vs Hillary would've been like Mormon vs Gorgon...

Right now I'm worried very much about the 2008 elections, I've been supporting Hillary but the resistance I find within Democratic ranks is rather astonishing. Obama supporters, at least the DailyKos/blogosphere variety, seem like wild animals injected with a virus or pathogen of madness rather than rational people who simply disagree that Hillary is the best choice. I'm not sure what to think, because I am not convinced Obama can withstand the Republican attack machine (which people have forgotten is not dead at all, even if McCain is at the top of the ticket).

The good news is that the Congressional and Senatorial races are a shoo-in for a large Democratic majority. Over 30 Republican Congressmen are retiring, many Republican Senators are retiring, yet virtually no Democrats are retiring. The polling suggests everyone wants to expand the Senate majority into a real majority instead of our bare 1 vote margin.

But if the Presidential race gets this screwed up, it won't matter I suppose. I'll support Obama 100% if he's nominated, but Hillary is my candidate.

The travesty of American politics.

How much will the Democrats win in 2008?

Heckles: With Mitt Romney dropping out of the Republican Presidential race I feel that nomination is John McCain's to lose now. Mike Huckabee has little appeal outside the conservative South-but as mentioned maybe Vice-President? That would be done just to satistfy the hard-religious right I feel.

With the Democrats the Hillary Clinton-Barack Obama horserace
continues...I also like Hillary myself but as noted elsewhere she may motivate the Republican attack machine and the far right by becoming the nominee.
Barack has some good points also-he is seen as a uniter-but can he get by the stigma that some white voters have against a black candidate? I recall reading that at least 10 percent or more of them will not support a black candidate no matter how good that person is-one of the reasons Colin Powell did not run for President I recall. I feel that not supporting a qualified candidate just due to their race is a travesty but that is the way people can be sometimes.

I now feel that if John McCain becomes the next President he will have to deal with a large Democratic majority in the Senate and House-and there will be change-because of his "Maverick" attitude and working with a Congress that is hostile to the Republicans for the most part.

I-among many-am hoping for big change in 2008. The US really needs it!
LI MIKE

Barack has some good points also-he is seen as a uniter-but can he get by the stigma that some white voters have against a black candidate? I recall reading that at least 10 percent or more of them will not support a black candidate no matter how good that person is-one of the reasons Colin Powell did not run for President I recall. I feel that not supporting a qualified candidate just due to their race is a travesty but that is the way people can be sometimes.

Those 10% would never vote democrat anyway. So nothing to worry about.

Obamarama
Obasm
Obamotion
Baractory
Obambastic
Obi One Presidency
Obamerica
Obamentum
The Barack Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum
Youth Obam [of the] Nation
The Chronicles of Barack
Barack Begins and the Dark Knight

Just a few terms I made up :D!

Conservative voters will not support a Democratic candidate anyway-agreed!

CT74: I agree-those 10 or so percent of white voters most likely would not support a Democratic presidential candidate anyway-they are more then likely the hardest right of the Conservative base.

I wonder how John McCain will court the right wing of the Republican Party now that he is now the odds-on favorite for the GOP nomination. That is something to watch for.
LI MIKE

The race issue isn't as important as a couple points.

*The media has been gracefully supportive of Obama, and has not put him to any kind of real test. The moment Obama receives the slightest negative press, how will his popularity test the fire against a base support that is uber-idealistic and don't want to hear any negativity? Especially independents that switch parties like they switch socks every day.

*Obama has absolutely no cohesive policy message on the campaign trail. His entire message is "Positivity/noun, verb/change Washington, repeat." When he actually has to talk about policy and make a real difference, will he be as attractive? His stump speeches are about changing cynicism in Washington, but little else. His stump speeches can be inspirational, but sometimes I wonder if we're looking for Minister in Chief or Commander in Chief. People are too emotional and vote for people they want to have over for dinner, its how we got Bush.

Besides, Obama has been put to the fire before and he's failed before:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/u...=2&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Obama voted for war funding every single chance he got between his election in 2004 and right up until he decided to run for President in early 2007. Then he became the pre-eminent anti-war candidate because he quotes a speech he made in 2002? He wasn't even in the Senate to be forced into a decision to make a vote on the war, he comes to the Senate and votes for funding 100% of the time until he becomes a Candidate, and he's better than Hillary how??

This is just the start for my apprehension of Obama becoming the head of the ticket. The minority issue could factor in more during a general election, but I don't think its as important as the above issues.

Hillary is a brilliant politician, she's time tested against the Republican attack machine, she has the female vote strongly in her favor during a general election against McCain, and polls and current hype surrounding Obama really don't prove anything to me. Hillary's health care policy is more progressive and liberal than Obama's policy. Hillary is committed to universal care and spends $50 billion more in subsidies to make it happen.

Obama is of a class of semi-liberal politicians that with his good oration skills want to broker deals with the other side to the point where he doesn't have cohesive policy. His proposals will end up being a mish-mash of hybrid conservative-liberal do-nothing-ness. Just look at his big flip flop on the Iraq war, his support of Nuclear energy industry I linked above, and the fact he's done nothing else while Senator. Nothing at all!

I'm not even against nuclear energy totally, but his pay-for-play politics on that issue shows he's not change. He's just a good politician who can rouse people with a good speech.

Lets be real, Obama has already demonstrated as Senator that he's not going to change Washington. Washington has changed him, he'll be like every other politician after 4-6 months when he realizes he can't just walk across the aisle and ask for things to be done. His nuclear energy flopping proves he'll take money in pay-for-play politics.

Why not elect someone who has clear policy stances and will fight for them, and has the experience to play the system so we get what we need? Hillary is that person.

"Obama Van Houten" would make a great punk-rock pseudonym. Right up there with "Lactantia Castrol"

Back