News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 587     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Delayed until 2 pm.

I genuinely feel bad for the lawyers. Like Trump, there is no guessing what inanities he will spew.

On council, Ford notoriously had no knowledge or interest in procedure. The last five hours has probably consisted of his legal team explaining to him that he can't govern with an iron fist.

Given that the grounds for this decision are constitutional, can the province invoke the "Notwithstanding Clause" to get around the decision? Will they?
The election period in reality (although not technically) begins when signs are allowed on lawns in early September.

Ford can state that he gave 13 weeks notice of the Councillor change.
The judge is now throwing the election into chaos and he (Ford) is invoking the Notwithstanding Clause to restore order.
He can then say that the City can have a referendum for the 2022 civic election if they should increase numbers from 25.
If the referendum wants to increase the number of Councillors, he we abide by the decision.

Last edited:
I'd love to agree, but I'm skeptical. Unless you're seeing something I'm not, there is very little chance the CPC will turn on Ford this early in his mandate. I just don't see it.

Yes but if signs of a political vendetta or being vindictive show up he will be turfed. There may be kool-aid in the room but I highly doubt they are willing to commit political suicide.

I genuinely feel bad for the lawyers. Like Trump, there is no guessing what inanities he will spew.

On council, Ford notoriously had no knowledge or interest in procedure. The last five hours has probably consisted of his legal team explaining to him that he can't govern with an iron fist.

He is probably demanding they use the NWC and the AG along with a team of lawyers are probably trying to explain why that is a bad idea.

Failing that caucus is probably trying to reason with him.

Honestly they are probably debating appealing or letting it go through and putting it in place for 2022.

The election period in reality (although not technically) begins when signs are allowed on lawns in early September.

For can state that he gave 13 weeks notice of the Councillor change.
The judge is now throwing the election into chaos and he is invoking the Notwithstanding Clause to restore order.
He can then say that the City can have a referendum for the 2022 civic election if they should increase numbers from 25.
If the referendum wants to increase the number of Councillors, he we abide by the decision.

It's like someone setting a fire to a barn and then blame the horses for bolting. He who created chaos due to his lack of foresight in the first place is a poor candidate for restoring order.

AoD

I believe that all candidate who registers for the 47 Ward system were allowed to re-register in the 25 ward system - so obviously there was no infringement on their right to express themselves in the new system.
I believe all voters would still be allowed to vote in the 25 Ward system - so their freedom of expression has not been altered.

A stunning ruling that puts emotions above the law.

I believe that all candidate who registers for the 47 Ward system were allowed to re-register in the 25 ward system - so obviously there was no infringement on their right to express themselves in the new system.
I believe all voters would still be allowed to vote in the 25 Ward system - so their freedom of expression has not been altered.

A stunning ruling that puts emotions above the law.
What nonsense! Did you actually read the ruling?

Ford can state that he gave 13 weeks notice of the Councillor change.
The judge is now throwing the election into chaos and he (Ford) is invoking the Notwithstanding Clause to restore order.

Do you actually believe this nonsensical spin or are you trolling us? Because, quite obviously, Ford is the one that CAUSED this "chaos" and the blame lies on him 100% (I suppose allowing for blame apportioned to his spineless scum-sucking cabinet and caucus).

What about the fact that the boundary change altered their pool of potential voters AFTER they had begun campaigning? Consider the new ward 18 (South of Bloor, between Parkside Drive and Dovercourt Road). This new ward includes portions of the old wards 14, 18 and even a section of old ward 19 (Liberty Village). In the 25-ward model, these areas would again be divided between different wards as they are in different provincial ridings.
Candidates who registered under the 47-Ward system had already started campaigning across the new ward 19, but with Bill 5 they were automatically going to have wasted some of their resources on potential voters who would no longer be in their riding under the 25-ward system.

Yes but if signs of a political vendetta or being vindictive show up he will be turfed. There may be kool-aid in the room but I highly doubt they are willing to commit political suicide.
Fair enough--I'd love it if you're right. But I think this is pretty optimistic. I think Ford has a lot of leeway yet with the average Ontario voter before he approaches anything like political suicide. Don't underestimate the willingness of the general public to accept the unacceptable when perpetrated by pols they're already inclined to support.

Indeed and invoking Section 33 now (and in the future!) and bring Bill 5 next week. Jeeez

And he threatened to do it again in the future. I wonder if the LG will allow it or use her reserve powers.

All things considered.. I am starting to wonder how much caucus will take before turfing him. I think this may get some people questioning his leadership.. yes it is early but if he keeps doing this it won't be so early and the province consists of more than Toronto and you need to win the GTA to win the election.

Back