Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

And it was the only one of the shortlisted final designs that retained the 1934 linking wing, so it is fully respectful of the original plan.

You guys sound like a broken record. Keep on dreaming. Time will prove you completely wrong, but luckily for you by then you'll be dead.

You guys sound like a broken record. Keep on dreaming. Time will prove you completely wrong, but luckily for you by then you'll be dead.

You're the broken record, JoeRoeJoeRoeJoeRoe.

20 posts so far and all you've done is complain about this building and the 4S.

And if I were you, I wouldn't go beyond wishing other forum members dead, or your account's life span won't be so great itself. It's fine to disagree, but be civil about it please.

You're the broken record, JoeRoeJoeRoeJoeRoe.

20 posts so far and all you've done is complain about this building and the 4S.

And if I were you, I wouldn't go beyond wishing other forum members dead, or your account's life span won't be so great itself. It's fine to disagree, but be civil about it please.

I didn't wish anybody to die. Try to read correctly my posts a reply with words related to what I am discussing.

I didn't wish anybody to die. Try to read correctly my posts a reply with words related to what I am discussing.

Reading comprehension's a bit of a problem around here. Best to make your message as simple as possible.

Anyway, in 50 years time, when the technology that allows us to build in contorted shapes and gravity-defying volumes is old hat, will we look back at works like Bilbao or the ROM's Crystal and think "What an exceptional aesthetic result" or will we just think of them as technological exercises bereft of any real lasting merit?

Anyway, in 50 years time, when the technology that allows us to build in contorted shapes and gravity-defying volumes is old hat, will we look back at works like Bilbao or the ROM's Crystal and think "What an exceptional aesthetic result" or will we just think of them as technological exercises bereft of any real lasting merit?

I don't know about 50 years down the road, but starting around 75 years or 100 years from now those buildings will probably get really appreciated, just like people right now are amazed at surviving Art Deco and Neoclassical buildings (and of course, the people who built those buildings were wowed by buildings from an age before their own).

It's a little trite to think everything boils down to those two opinions, but also, it might not be so much a matter of what'll "we" think, as to whom the "we" in particular refers to. (Take, for example, the polarized opinion on Boston City Hall...)

I don't know about 50 years down the road, but starting around 75 years or 100 years from now those buildings will probably get really appreciated, just like people right now are amazed at surviving Art Deco and Neoclassical buildings (and of course, the people who built those buildings were wowed by buildings from an age before their own).

I think you're right. In the long-term they'll be loved. But I wonder if they'll last that long - or whether at the first major engineering overhaul they may have to endure, we'll tear them down as tacky.

I only bring it up because Gehry's MIT building is suffering from some leaking, and it's certainly encouraging a lot of new commentary on the building. I suppose it's not any more polarizing an architectural style than, say, brutalism - though it seems a lot easier to knock down. ;)

For the record, I hope they stay.

From ROM news:
New Serpentine Sculpture on display February 2, 2008
Generous gift from Joey and Toby Tanenbaum honours ROM CEO and Director, William Thorsell

The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is proud to announce the temporary installation of a stunning Serpentine sculpture in the Hyacinth Gloria Chen Crystal Court, graciously donated by Joey and Toby Tanenbaum in honour of William Thorsell, Director and CEO of the Museum. The sculpture will be on display in Chen Court beginning the February 2, 2008 until the end of March 2008.

“I am extremely grateful to Joey and Toby Tanenbaum for this dazzling serpentine donation and for their continued support of the Museum,†says the ROM’s Director and CEO, William Thorsell. “The sculpture will be a striking addition to the main entrance of the building, giving visitors the opportunity to interact with one of the Museum’s impressive earth science artifacts.â€

Measuring five feet, seven inches tall (170 cm) the beautiful green sculpture is carved from serpentine, a silicate mineral resembling jade. Although serpentine is softer than jade, it can be polished to reveal its beautiful complexities, as shown by this spectacular carved mass from China. Presented on an elaborate wooden stand, visitors can admire the specimen up-close and touch it for good luck. The gold Chinese characters inscribed on one-side reads – Fortune will change with the arrival of [this].

Joey and Toby Tanenbaum are renowned Toronto philanthropists and long-time ROM supporters who have donated this large Serpentine specimen from their private collection to the Museum. The Royal Ontario Museum is grateful to Mr. and Mrs. Tanenbaum for their generous gifts of artifacts to the Museum's collections and for their contributions now and throughout the years.
No picture yet, unfortunately. At 5'7" it won't quite fill the space will it?

The Museum Store will reopen on the 11th, though you can shop online.

The contemporary Aboriginal art exhibition continues at the ICC gallery in the Crystal until the end of the month. Kent Monkman, who has works in the show, recently had a solo exhibition at MOCCA on Queen West.

The woodblock artist Naoko Matsubara has three large collages that were recently commissioned by the ROM on display. One is in the showcase next to the street entrance to C5. The Museum has a large collection of her work and held a solo exhibition of it in 2003.

The sculpture will be on display in Chen Court beginning the February 2, 2008 until the end of March 2008.

So what happens after the end of March 2008? Why not just donate it to the ROM and stays there permanently?

Inspired by the AGO's gorgeous bold blue titanium skin, I put together this crude draw up of how I'd love to see the ROM.

romcrystaldaymy0.jpg

Inspired by the red glass entrance marker, the ROM would, in this fantasy retrofit, replace the cold grey mismatched aluminum slats with red semi opaque glass slats. The front would be smooth and the back would be sandblasted to avoid being able to see the inner skin of the cladding.

LEDs could be added behind the glass so that at night, the ROM would light up in a red glow.

The result would be this red jewel with a glossy outer skin during the day and a glowing red icon at night.

EDIT:

... and if you want to get really bold, each crystal could be a different colour matching the ROM's logo:
rom_logo.gif

Back