News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Let's be optimistic: there is a theoretical possibility that at some point there is a vote of no confidence in the government in which enough PC MPPs vote against their government.
The people have voted. This is the government they (well, 41% of them, plus the other 50% of eligible voters who didn't care enough to show up) wanted.

That's an awfully big stretch to say that the other 50% wanted this. Many of them didn't want any of the choices which is why they didn't vote. Others never vote. The low voter turnout is an issue that we need to address, especially among younger voters.

Though to be fair I think it's an excuse that's been used by every modern provincial government that involved a change in party - Rae, Harris, McGuinty

Yeah, but in this political climate, it’s far more likely to be believed by conservatives if the outgoing politician is a non-privileged minority (black/lesbian).

This reminds me of my American friends who voted for Trump, overlooking many things that they didn't agree with, because they didn't want Hilary. Once Trump started actually implementing some of his campaign promises, those same people were very upset and said they voted for him but didn't expect he would actually do the things he said.

After Harris won his first term as Premiere and began implementing his agenda, I remember some idiot voter being quoted on a front page Toronto Star story thusly: "I voted for Harris, but I didn't know he was going to do this!" Oy.

I don't know. I doubt it.

I only know that it's possible.
Bill van der Zalm resigned in the face of a majority caucus revolt. That’s about it.

Ford will be here for four years. Anything less will be a happy surprise but when he controls all the levers of party and government it’s almost impossible to get rid of him.

Yeah, but in this political climate, it’s far more likely to be believed by conservatives if the outgoing politician is a non-privileged minority (black/lesbian).
It's far more likely to be believed because the Auditor General told us the Liberals were lying before the election. I would suspect that the PC's get some type of independent review of the books (it's likely that the Auditor was not even privy to all documents) and the knowledge of how poorly the books were will give Ford some leeway.

Or he could do similar to what Trudeau did and go on a spending spree and attribute those costs to the previous government.

Ford has stated he'll quickly repeal the sex ed curriculum, which is worrying. What will it be replaced with? The previous 1998 version?

In the grand scheme of things most parents are fine with it, and it's necessary for today's world.

Though to be fair I think it's an excuse that's been used by every modern provincial government that involved a change in party - Rae, Harris, McGuinty.

AoD
Yes, all governments blame the previous one(s), bit Trump seems determined to undo anything Obama did, just because. I suspect Ford will be similar.

As in the former borough of Scarborough which majorily went Conservative perhaps as an indicator as to which party's transit platform they endorse the most.
Actually, that would be the former City of Scarborough.

Transit? That leaning was already decided upon under Robbie (and Doughie as "Co-Mayor), so Doughie is just running his dead brother transit platform, the one that failed due to mismanagement, and mistrust of the Fords by businesses. Let's see what happens, shall we?

The interesting part is that Robbie's... er, sorry, Doughie's plan in the Scarborough area would not serve the densest parts of the area. Would Doughie also cut the busses that people use to get to rapid transit like Robbie did to fund his pet projects? Tory thankfully reinstated them. I wonder if Dougie by now would realise these busses would also be needed to travel to these shiny new subway stations to be opened hopefully before 2040.

If asked, people would choose subways over streetcars or would I say most drivers would choose subways over streetcars, however, if asked if there would be rapid transit readily available without transferring at least twice, and on busses, would still choose subways that would at best shorten their commute by ~5 minutes.

Am I calling people in this part of the city stupid? No, just gullible. And that would explain the number of people who voted for the PCs at least on the transit file.

Social-Conservatism does not support or permit free thought even if their façade is "populism".

The people have voted. This is the government they (well, 41% of them, plus the other 50% of eligible voters who didn't care enough to show up) wanted.

Instead of voter shaming, how about we consider the reasons why many people are not turning out to vote, and then fix the problem.

upload_2018-6-8_12-51-8.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-52-44.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-53-28.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-54-11.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-54-35.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-55-7.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-55-32.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-56-0.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-56-34.png

upload_2018-6-8_12-57-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-8_12-51-8.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-51-8.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 483
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-52-44.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-52-44.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 490
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-53-28.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-53-28.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 513
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-54-11.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-54-11.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 481
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-54-35.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-54-35.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 537
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-55-7.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-55-7.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 519
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-55-32.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-55-32.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 498
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-56-0.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-56-0.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 504
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-56-34.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-56-34.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 520
  • upload_2018-6-8_12-57-3.png
    upload_2018-6-8_12-57-3.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Actually, that would be the former City of Scarborough.

Transit? That leaning was already decided upon under Robbie (and Doughie as "Co-Mayor), so Doughie is just running his dead brother transit platform, the one that failed due to mismanagement, and mistrust of the Fords by businesses. Let's see what happens, shall we?

The interesting part is that Robbie's... er, sorry, Doughie's plan in the Scarborough area would not serve the densest parts of the area. Would Doughie also cut the busses that people use to get to rapid transit like Robbie did to fund his pet projects? Tory thankfully reinstated them. I wonder if Dougie by now would realise these busses would also be needed to travel to these shiny new subway stations to be opened hopefully before 2040.

If asked, people would choose subways over streetcars or would I say most drivers would choose subways over streetcars, however, if asked if there would be rapid transit readily available without transferring at least twice, and on busses, would still choose subways that would at best shorten their commute by ~5 minutes.

Am I calling people in this part of the city stupid? No, just gullible. And that would explain the number of people who voted for the PCs at least on the transit file.

Social-Conservatism does not support or permit free thought even if their façade is "populism".

I think Douggie should free Scarborough, and return them to being their own city.

To those of you who opposed a PC majority government, can you elaborate on the policies of this new government and its leader that you don’t like? I appreciate that you’re a personal fan of the premier-designate but leaving that aside what about the party’s platform do you so ardently oppose?
Social-Conservatism. I believe in free thought and that government is transparent and answers questions of voters. I also subscribe to blind faith, not.

Last edited:

Back