News   May 29, 2024
 244     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 539     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.9K     1 

University Metropass?

I wish this had existed when I was at U of T. When you pay for transit each month it's harder to deal with, if it's integrated with your tuition, it feels like it's free. Parents pay tuition. Students pay for transit.

I guess my parents missed that memo.

I went to UW. Off-hand I can't think of ANY of my classmates who used transit on a daily basis. Everyone lived within walking distance, and the rest drove. I'm sure some took transit, but it was more local kids - (the program I was in, virtually everyone was from out of town). On the other hand, I know a lot of UT students who take transit every day.

The TTC scheme for UT is supposed to be revenue neutral. GRT's scheme for UW was actually revenue positive; i.e. it increased revenue; part of the package deal was that the increased revenue is used for a package of service increases and new routes in Waterloo.

It's all apples and oranges. UT effectively has 5 subway stations, 2 subway lines, and 2 streetcar lines going through it - and even a bus or two (6 if you count Bay, which may be closer to a couple of buildings).

But at the same time, what is good for the goose, is good for the gander. I dare David Miller to put a proposal for a referendum to provide monthly passes to all Torontonians for mandatory property tax increase. :)

They did some polling, although given the sample size (I believe 2000 undergrads from a population of 22,000 or so) 'polling' is putting it lightly. Apparently bus usage is a fair bit higher than you seem to think. Especially with housing become less affordable near campus, many students are living well over 45 mins walking distance away. A bus pass also has some positive externalities for those who live nearby or drive. For the former, it relieves some pressure on rent near the university, while still being useful for going places other than UW. For those with cars, it gives them an option to save on gas by driving less often, saving on parking by not driving to school, or at least easing the parking shortage.

The U-Pass meeting at Ryerson revealed a lot of details that don't seem to have been previously reported, and those details might change the way many people look at this proposal.

More when i get my notes organized...:D

where was it?

they didn't have any info on the location in the eyeopener. considering this is a big thing, i thought they might've had more info about it through email or something.

where was it?

they didn't have any info on the location in the eyeopener. considering this is a big thing, i thought they might've had more info about it through email or something.

It was in Oakham. Turnout was only about 30 or so.

They don't call it the lie-opener for nothing...

Anyway, here are some big details that weren't reported from the U of T town hall.

1) If the University is able to guarantee the funding, which could be a corporate sponsor or from the university's budget, then the city will be willing to allow students to opt out.
2) If you do not use the TTC, you will be able to trade your TTC U-Pass for a York Region Transit pass or for a $60/month credit on GO Transit.
3) If approved in 2008, price will remain at $60 a month for the first year even though it is normally going to be tied to 60% of the adult metropass rate.
4) The Volume Incentive Plan metropass sales would continue.

It doesn't do anything for the price (which I think is fair but I know many of you do not), but it does address every concern I had.

Like the mayor said, I would be very surprised if it failed - especially at Ryerson.

Shameless self promotion alert:

I'll have full coverage on my blog.

was there anything mentioned during the session (or elsewhere for that matter) about passes for YRT and TTC combined?

It's about time that the TTC realized that there are more important things than profit sometimes. These are students that we're talking about. Keep them happy, and they'll eventually get higher paying jobs that funnel more tax revenue back into the city. Students are an investment rather than a red line on the TTC's balance sheet.

When I commuted to U of T from home, transit was my single largest monthly expense. When I finally moved downtown toward the end of my degree, an extra $60 month would have been huge considering that I only used the TTC once or twice a month.

I haven't forgotten the way that the TTC treated me as a student, which is one of the reasons why as a recent graduate I avoid taking transit as much as possible. I do my part for the environment by choosing to live in a pedestrian friendly neighbourhood where I can walk 90% of the time. When I can't walk, I'll drive unless the cost of parking is excessive or driving is completely impractical.

If you do not use the TTC, you will be able to trade your TTC U-Pass for a York Region Transit pass or for a $60/month credit on GO Transit.

that will allow it to be now supported by 95% of the ryerson camp now....

70% usee TTC

20-25% come from GO

Its a done deal at Ryerson...

Not bad my 140 dollar GO transit pass would be only 80. That is about 100 dollars less then an adult pass.

Believe it or not, only 5% take GO, while 6% take GO and TTC. 71% take TTC alone. I choose not to believe it, because I have a feeling that your numbers are closer to the actual GO ridership.

According to the TTC, only 18% of Ryerson students DON'T use U-Pass partner agencies as their number one mode of travel to and from school.

This also benefits York, as it covers all three methods of getting there by transit.

there are rather large amount of students taking the GO.

All the day trains (9am-2pm) are full of University Students....

Uhm... if you're paying $60 to get $60 off a GO pass... where's the advantage?

well there is no advantage, but for people who don't use the TTC, it is the only possible compromise I can see.

well there is no advantage, but for people who don't use the TTC, it is the only possible compromise I can see.

I spoke to the mayor personally about that. The objective is exactly what you said - its a compromise to ensure that people who don't use the TTC don't lose any value from this.

The GO and YRT deals are groundbreaking, and hopefully will lead to a new era of the TTC playing nice with other agencies.

The thing is now, for 70% of the student group this is great.

With the GO transit inclusion, you get another 20% or so that will not be negatively effected. There is no benefit to me, but I can use that 480 dollars for something else is alright. It won't save me any money but it does not hurt me at all.

Now, if you live on Campus, I think getting the Card is still great. Now you can easily move around. The drivers are the ones that are screwed over.

Back