Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

Exterior-mounted screens reduce cooling costs more efficiently than interior screens and if they do fail ( each window has its own screen ) they can, presumably, be repaired. Summer can be windy too, but the screens don't flap in the wind - they descend, anchored to the window frames at the sides. And given how rarely they're used, will discolouration due to pollution be much of an issue?

What troubles me about that is that the architect took a good deal of time and energy in proposing a tremendous project - but didn’t consider the climate in which the building would be built. I studied architecture and this is a key factor when designing a building.

Second, our city design panel approved a project that could not be built, Who's not doing their homework?

Quick, quick, get down to Liebiskind's studio in New York City, and tell him he has to consider the climate in which the building will be built, because that's a key factor when designing a building! Be sure to remind him that you studied architecture. Hurry, before it's too late! The fate of the L Tower rests on your shoulders - his current design calls for a cladding system made of palm fronds!

Also, remind me again which "city design panel" it was that approved a building that could not be built?

Exterior-mounted screens reduce cooling costs more efficiently than interior screens and if they do fail ( each window has its own screen ) they can, presumably, be repaired. Summer can be windy too, but the screens don't flap in the wind - they descend, anchored to the window frames at the sides. And given how rarely they're used, will discolouration due to pollution be much of an issue?
I saw them flapping horribly in the wind last fall. The whole facade was vibrating as if caught in an epileptic seizure. Not very elegant or reassuring. Above all totally unnecessary. Would you hang exterior shades on the outside of your windows?

Big Duddy: ??inclusive.

I am interested in your credentials

Wow, I am stunned to see how easy it is to offend in this thread. Are opinions not allowed?

To start, I forgot this design was not part of a design competition. If it had been, there would have been a “design panel†panel that would choose a winning design much like what happened in 1989 when Moshe Safdie’s design won. My deepest apologies.

No I don’t have any “credentials†to speak of and certainly I would not even begin to assert that I would have better or even equal credentials to Daniel Libeskind, I think he is a great architect. Never the less, the Four Seasons is not a beautiful building in my opinion and with the exception of the acoustics, which Valery Gergiev seems to have given his stamp of approval, there is little else that would set this building apart from any other building.

And as for the ROM, Yes, you can block as much as 70% of the UV radiation with filters on the glass and the Low-e glass will reduce the heat transfer – and much of the rest could be managed by strategically placing and/or moving certain displays on a regular basis. When worked together, you could significantly reduce the impact of the sunlight coming through the window.

I also stand by my original comment as snow loading was a key factor in changing the ROM from a glass crystal shrine to an aluminum clad thingy. If I find the article, I will share it with you.

Apparently it's not my credentials you need, Urban Shocker seems to have all the expertise as it pertains to exterior-mounted screens and apparently Mr. AlvinofDiaspar is our resident expert on exterior cladding as his aluminum cladding and it's grooves have solved the ice slippage problem. Even though almost all of the grooves run perpendicular to grade. I see your well considered point.

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/toronto/jpgs/royal_ontario_museum_daniellibeskind010507_14.jpg

The Crystal's shape makes it difficult to set the displays properly, so periodically moving them around would be a lot of maintenance, and would make viewing them more challenging. To those who wonder why "boxes" are so common, it's because they maximize surface area, why can be very useful. Glass is also overused today. Every new modernist structure has to have a lot glass. The whole glass sticking out of an old facade has been done so many times. The Crystal is consistent with the ROM's use of glass for windows.

Apparently it's not my credentials you need, Urban Shocker seems to have all the expertise as it pertains to exterior-mounted screens and apparently Mr. AlvinofDiaspar is our resident expert on exterior cladding as his aluminum cladding and it's grooves have solved the ice slippage problem. Even though almost all of the grooves run perpendicular to grade. I see your well considered point.

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/toronto/jpgs/royal_ontario_museum_daniellibeskind010507_14.jpg

Big Daddy, you seem to be guilty of using your head! Thanks for using logic in lieu of emotion.

So next, Joe Roe and Big Daddy go down a tad to Nathan Philips Square and rip down those so-called eyesore walkways.

The lesson here: beware of well-meaning urbanist hack amateurs...

So next, Joe Roe and Big Daddy go down a tad to Nathan Philips Square and rip down those so-called eyesore walkways.

The lesson here: beware of well-meaning urbanist hack amateurs...

I guess you'd rather listen to the certified professionals who give you the flavor of the month solution to urban design.

Back